Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Since I am not a church goer (and not intending to become one), I don't think it's appropriate to have the twins christened. I do, however, want to mark their arrival in some way, and I would also like to nominate 'special' adults in lieu of godparents - so I am thinking of holding a naming ceremony over the Summer

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a ceremony or been to one - what worked well? Any hints on where to get a suitable script for the ceremony (would be doing it ourselves, I don't want an 'official' ceremony if you know what I mean)?

Thanks!
Suitcase
x

PS Sharry/volunteers - if this is better suited to a more general parenting thread, pls move - I know it's not exclusively a single womens' question but wasn't sure where to post. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hi Suitcase,

I have been thinking about this and I was going to look at a Humanist ceremony. Had a very quick look at their website http://www.humanism.org.uk/ceremonies/humanist-namings

It might give you some ideas even if you don;t want to use them ifswim. :)

GIA tooxx

/links

·
Super Moderator
2,506 Posts
Hi

Dont see any reason to move it  :)

Sharry x

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Suity
I did an informal naming ceremony for J.  I used the humanist stuff that GIA has pointed you to - its a really good start.  I did think about getting a humanist "minister" to do it as I'd just been to a humanist wedding that was lovely but cost got in the way.  Really with a naming ceremony anything goes so do what you want!  I had "godparents" (for want of a better phrase) who all said something about what they would offer J & one read what happened to be my favourite poem (If by Kipling) - she didn't know it was my favourite but it was a very suitable option.  The humanist stuff gives you lots of ideas about creating your own script & doing waht is right for you and the twins.
GOod luck!

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks both  :)

grace - do you call them 'godparents' or do you have another name for them? I def want to nominate 'special adults' for the twins, and was trying to think of a suitable name for them - since it's not a christening in church, using 'god' seems inappropriate but I don't like the humanist 'mentor' because it sounds too business-like
I had thought of perhaps guardian angel or fairy godmother (like Cinderella) but not sure either really works?

gosh, so much to think about!
Suitcase
x

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Hi Suity

I had a friend who called her children's special adults "guide parents" which I thought sounded quite nice (though her naming ceremony was linked to the completion of their adoption, but seem to be same principles)

Krissi  xx

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Suity
I never did find an appropriate label for the "godparents" so they all just refer to James as their godson knowing that god doesn't feature!  People suggested guardians but as one was going to be his nominated guardian the event of my demise that didn't seem right.  Everything else sounded wrong.  So they are just the special people who love him very much - or at least 2 are as the other 2 are useless!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hi Suity

I've been to a couple of naming ceremonies. Both ceremonies were combined with the child's first birthday party so it was a bit of a double celebration. I think my friends also got help and info from the Humanist society. My friends are not religious so I was chosen to be a "Life Guide" (not be be confused with life guard ;D ). As a life guide I was asked to say a few words or read a poem but there was no obligation. The parents said something and then cut a cake.

Sima

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sima you are funny you always make me laugh which is lovely!
Suity my sister had a 'thanksgiving service' because they are not religious. It was held in church by a vicar and they named godparents but it didn't involve a baptism.
Good luck with your thinking. Let us know what you decide.
I'm planning a christening next week, the hardest part being finding a date that everyone can make!!!!
Coco xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts