Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I am just after any success stories to cheer me up please  :), unfortunately I had a BFN from my 1st IVF cycle last Thursday and now I am going out of my mind reading into immune testing etc!

We have a follow up appt Jan18th which we have decided we want to go straight in for round 2!

We have no factors (that we are aware of) that would affect out fertility which has been making me think something must be wrong somewhere if we still havn't conceived!

Tez
xxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Tez

I feel the same, we got BFN on boxing day after IVF. I was so convinced it would work for me, and didn't know where I would find the strength to carry on. Anyone coming on here helped - the link below has got lots of success stories for 2nd IVF.

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=249040.msg4210424#msg4210424

We have our F/U on 13th, so would be good to swap stories. I feel in limbo at the mo, don't know what the next couple of months will bring. Again we are unexplained although I have started looking into endometriosis and immune testing as my DH thinks it is because the egg won't take.

We had 3 lots of IUI last year with the 2nd resulting in a BFP but M/C at week 6. It was awful but I was left with the hope that I could get pregnant which felt like a real breakthrough. Hence my confidence that IVF would work. But looking at the posts it seems to happen for lots of women.

I have 2 frosties which we will probably go with, but not sure how the cycle will work.

I feel like a need a bit of a break though - have been treating myself to a few beers here and there but would love to go on a proper holiday without worrying about the process. But at the same time I am keen to try again.

I don't know how long it takes for the hormones to get out of your system but I'm sure this adds to the feelings of devastation. To be honest I am taking each day as it comes, some are miserable and I tread seeing another pregnant women and others I'm having a laugh and completely forgetting all about it.

I've been told to really push your consultant at the follow-up to find out what they would have done differently in hindsight. We are also seeing a private clinic too to see what they would recommend, like getting a second opinion. It doesn't cost much just for the initial consultation and they may spot something our current consultant hasn't.

Good luck with the F/U, hope the link gives you your PMA xxxx

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Slug and I am so sorry to hear about your BFN!

Our follow up is 24th Jan but after a very boozy xmas think were going to wait til at least end of March before DR, our clinic has no waiting list to start so think I would be offered a date at my next appt!

Unfortunately we have no frosties so will be a case of starting a fresh cycle. I have been like you some days are high some are low, I know you shouldn't but I tend to compare myself with other people and I can never imagine that it will happen for us.

Hope you get on well today let me know  :)

Tez
xxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Had a good F/U today Tez, still no reason as to why it didn't work - semen good, embryo good, reacted well to drugs, no endo... just bad luck. But I'm lucky to have the frosties and the process for FET seems simple compared to IVF, Just 2 scans, a pill instead of injections, so I'm starting to get that excited feeling back.

I don't know about you, but knowing what the treatment will be really helps me and I have something positive to hang onto. The stats are lower (recently turned 35) but I'm sure the more times you try the more likely it will work.

I think if it was fresh IVF I would be the same as you - it is such a toll on the body and mind, a break can help.

I've been like you, after getting the BFN, convinced I'll never get pregnant - started looking into adoption. Its so hard readjusting your expectations. But today really helped - I hope your F/U helps and gives you some hope that you need.  ^hugme^

xx

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Slug

So sorry I forgot to get back to you! As you can probably see we are starting our treatment again !st March! ATM I am feeling quite negative I am already planning cycle 3 lol!

Have you had any dates etc as to when you will start?

xxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Tez

I'm just waiting for A/F to arrive, due on 19th Feb, so will start then. Now going for short protocol IVF, after seeing the private clinic they recommended to harvest as many eggs now - as the frosties will still be there if we need to go again. We also had our funding pulled, local PCT gone bankrupt  :mad:, so we are no going with Agora clinic which I am really happy with. Much closer to home and the advice and support I have had, even now, has been so much greater than the NHS clinic.

We treated ourselves to a week in the sun too - which was great, completely forgot about things and felt normal for a week. Didn't worry about what I ate or drank - lucky it doesn't take much for me to get drunk though!!

I am starting to get a little bit excited but like you I have in the back of mind that we will be doing round 3 shortly afterwards. Trying to focus day to day on how grateful I am to have a secure job, a lovely home, a gorgeous dog and most importantly my DH. I put everything on hold in life through the last cycle and we are trying to avoid this, easier than it sounds, but getting on with what we would do.

Do you know what treatment you are having?
xx

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm already planning what to do when it fails, if it does think we're gona get a late deal and do the same have a week in the sun!

Think were on the long protocol ivf (7wks), I start my nasal spray 1st March.

So here we go again.....on a good note though I feel a lot less stressed than I did 1st time around and don't think my expectations are aas high.

Wishing you all theluck keep me updated on how your getting on!

xxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lovely to get your message today, I have been trying to join the cycling buddies but get lost in the number of entries. Tried joining next month and they are already onto 20 threads!!

I'm glad to hear you are feeling less stressed, and nice to have a hols to look forward to.

A/F arrived yesterday so called the clinic today to start the treatment and found out we have to wait another month. I was so upset. They still wanted me in for my baseline scan, so I cried all the way there, but on make-up and a brave face, then cried all the way home. Was a simple mix-up and they are waiting for a month for the right reasons, but still upsetting when you get yourself in the mindset for it.

So we are having a nurses consultation on 7th March to go through all my blood tests/meds and hopefully start around 19th March on a 4/5 week cycle. So we may have some cross-over.

Spring is supposed to be a great time for treatment, everything new coming to life and all that.

Let me know how you get on with the spray?

xxx

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww that is awful! I kinda know how you feel, they put my EC back a few days and I felt a bit gutted, don't know why think like you say its when you get that mindset and you build yourself up for it mentally it kinda knocks you!

Thats a really nice way to look at it being spring  :) my friend fell pregnant on her 2nd attempt ans she also started her nasal spray in March.

I keep looking at the cycle buddies but there just seems so many people on, think I will join the march/april next week I'll see last time I drove myself crazy trying to analyse all the BFN and BFP and compairing myself to everyone else!

Keep in touch and keep your chin up not too long to wait  ^hugme^

xxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi tez, how is it going with your nasal spray? Are you reacting ok?

I got my AMH results back, came in at 2.92 - supposed to be between 5-10, so is an indicator that my ovaries reserve is low. The nurses told me this so I still haven't heard from the consultant about what it means. They have put my consultation back to 16th March now, so they can go through my drug regime. It does worry me though, I keep thinking that they will delay the tx or say I can't go ahead!! So much for PMA.

The last round I managed to get to 3 embryos - so I keep reminding myself it is quality not quantity! I guess it explains why we haven't managed to conceive naturally.

Hows your PMA? Are you more hopeful now the tx has started?

xx

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Slug

I hate it when that happens, the nurse tells you something then you spend what seems like forever worrying about it until you see the consultant! Not too long to wait for you only 7 more days then hopefully you will know whats going on!

I'm feeling quite calm at the moment, very depressed though which I'm putting down to the spray! Think it may be as I know what to expect this time round and also have an exam on 29th so been throwing myself into revising!

Still not too hopeful though  ;D

xxx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi I hope you all dont mind me butting in.  We are also bourn patients, and were devastated last week to get the AF 2 days before blood work and realised that it was a BFN  :'(.  I have been reading your tread looking for PMA, as we are hoping to crash straight into our 2nd round of IVF. 

We have our appointment tomorrow, and I wanted to know, how long it took you to get started on 2nd course, and if they changed your meds from the first time round.  Our first round was ICSI, with 5 day blasts.  They retrieved 12 eggs, 11 fertilized, 8 held into Blasto, and we only ended up with 3 ok ones when it came to ET.  We transferred 2 and held onto one to freeze but it didnt make it to freeze stage.

Any advise would be great, time is ticking for us, me 35 DH 48.  We desperatly want this, and DH wants it before he turns the BIG 50  ^pray^
Thanks alot
xxxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Stubby

I'm so sorry to hear about your BFN - sending you a big  ^hugme^. Its an awful time and I know I wanted a plan for what next so I had something to focus on.

We actually changed clinics as our NHS funding got pulled, so we went for a clinic which was closer to home and spent more time with their patients. Our NHS clinic suggested we went to FET as we had 2 frosties however the new clinic ran some tests and said that we didn't get as many follies in our first round as they would expect. This led them to test my AMH - ovarian reserve, and this confirmed that this was lower than it should of been for a 35 yr old. Therefore my new clinic, Agora, said that I should try IVF again so I could collect more eggs while I'm still young, as the frosties aren't going anywhere.

So we are now starting short protocal IVF.

I think if we did rush into it we wouldn't necessarily have found out this information. I am confident that we have a good medication plan now, so fingers and toes crossed. It will be worth the extra wait and tests...

I think the clinics normally want you to have a month off to recover, so in theory you could start on your next bleed. Depends on the clinic and waiting lists etc..

There is a really good thread on here with all the questions you should ask on your follow-up consultation. I would recommend using this. Lots of people told me the first round is like a test run and from that they can work out what has and hasn't worked for you.

Good luck and let me know how you get on
xx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Slug

Firstly many thanks to you for responding and being informative with me, I really do appreciate it  ^hugme^.  I think I will look into that new tread to see what they are saying and see if I can pick up some good info.

We had our follow up this morning with our clinic, and they told us that we responded really well to the whole process, and that they do not intend to change anything they have done in the next round due to us reacting very well.  They told us that alot of embroyos dont actually stick so its a case of pot luck.  They said its like putting your hand into a bath full of marbles where only 50% of those marbles are good ones and being lucky to pull out 1 good one!!  Quiet a good analogy I thought. ^eyes^
So anyway to cut a long story short they have booked us in for round two, and we will be going back around about 21st of April, as long as the dreaded AF arrives on time.  Its funny you spend half this process waiting for the AF, and they the other half hoping she  ^swear^ off lol  ;D

How is your treatment going? I really really do wish you so much love and luck and so much baby dust, you deserve it  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

xxxxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks Stubby and glad to hear your follow-up went well. Good analogy too - I really believe it is about the right egg, not the quantity. Pleased you can start so soon too.

I'm waiting for AF to arrive on 30th March - on HRT at the mo which I finish on the 26th. So first scan should be 1st April. Have mixed feelings about the whole thing - nervous about the new meds, but so pleased that we are finally starting. The wait is the killer for me.

Let me know how you get and enjoy the drugs free month. Treat yourself - because I am back on the no alcohol, nuts and pineapple juice diet!! and sometime could really just do with a nice cold beer!

I heard of a friend of a friend who just found out she is pregnant after her 2nd IVF - so it can happen. Spring is supposed to be a really good time for the treatment too.

take lots of care and a big  ^hugme^ from me

xx

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Stubby

On my follow up it was the same they told me they wouldn't change any meds as even though we only got 6 eggs it was still classed as a successful cycle and that she wasn't worried quite yet about having a failed cycle as it is to be expected and that is why they offer 3 nhs cycles!

I was offered to start pretty much straight away as long as had a period after my BFN, I have now been downregging since 1st March and my  head is battered feel like been on the spray for ages, got my scan next Thursday and if all ok can start injections friday......getting very impatient!!

From what you have said your 1st treatment although it wasn't successful sounds like it went quite well!

How you feeling slug, feels like we've been doing a lot of waiting! My hormones are raging ATM and its all being directed at my sissy boss! He can't do anything right at the minute, everything he does just annoys me haha! Taking some of the heat off DP for the time being  ;D

xxx

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi tez

Well finally have a treatment plan, so pleased to be taking the drugs. On HRT until 26th March, with first scan booked for 1st April. Been on the drugs for a week now and the main thing is that I can't sleep, keep getting really hot and cold. So its a real struggle getting out of bed. Been so busy at work too that I haven't really seen my DP to take it out on him.

Things should quieten down after next week which is good, so should be a bit more relaxed for the scans.

Hows your PMA? Are you feeling really hopeful or tempering it to protect yourself? I've decided to just go with the flow - some days I am excited others I think this is all part of the journey to getting a family be it IVF or adoption.

Stubby - hope the wait isn't too excruciating.

take care of yourselves
xx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Ladies

Thank you both so much for your responses. ^hugme^  Slug - Think positive honestly this will be your time, first time was just a training session for the real thing.  Keep onto thoughts of your wonderful new baby in your arms and you'll get through the drugs.  You said you were taking pineapple and nuts again, I have read this alot in successful stories on these forums, and was thinking of doing it myself, try anything once!! ;D When do you start eating them, is it when you start your drugs or later?  Keep me posted with your journey, I love this forum, as it really keeps me up tempo, and its great to have support and like minded ladies all on the same journey.

Tez - thanks for your response, yea I was happy to learn the Docs were happy with my treatment up to the point of transfer, I was worried beacuse the drugs had no effect on me what so ever, I kept waiting for an excuse to have a melt down (any excuse will do), my poor DH kept bracing himself, but I think he had the side effects instead living on his nerves  ;D.  But they were happy that I had no reaction.  I was excited first time to get 12 eggs, and then dissapointed that only 3 were available on ET day.  But the Doc told us that its quality and we found out yesterday that the 3 we ended up with 2 were grade 2 and 1 was grade 3 so they werent hopeful to begin with.  But I am hoping our little baby is still there and refused to be used last time and is ready this time!! ^pray^ ^pray^

I am thinking of both of you, and sadly (that we are all 2nd time around) glad to have company on this journey.

Let me know how you both are doing, I am always ready to talk, as its the only thing consuming my life at the moment lol  ;D

Love to you both and anyone else thats reading this tread xxxxx

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey ladies

well what a weekend I've had!!! DP is supposed to be going to Kazachstan tomorrow (for work) but when he travelled to London for his visa there was a problem! And as tomorrow and Tuesday are public holidays in Kazachstan the correct people won't be at the embassy to sort this problem, and the embassy is also closed on Wednesdays leaving it til Thursday! Then his visa will take 2-3 working days to process which takes him to Monday 28th......he needs to be there for a week so providing he can get flights that means he will return April 4th.....my EC is booked in for the 7th eeeeeekkkk!!!! bit too close for comfort for me and also means that I have to do my own injections which I am totally not looking forward to!!!

Pleased to hear your both well

xxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Tez, Blimey you poor thing!!  Dont need that at this time do you.  But I suppose it cant be helped!!  My heart goes out to you where the injections are concerned.  I do them myself I find I cope better knowing exactly when the shot will hit ^eyes^ I personally find that if you pinch a little of the belly (you may not have fat like me to pinch) and put the needle into the pinched fat bit, you dont feel it so much.  But as I said thats what just worked for me!  I wish you were down the road I would help you!!  ^hugme^  Do you have anyone else around you whom you trust enough to jab you each day?

I know its easier said than done, but try not to panic or worry too much, I believe certain things are sent to test us, and just think of your little baby and that should pull you through it!!  Look at it this way, at least when you child is older, you have a great excuse to tell them, you dont understand what I had to do for you and gain some super points in an argument lol  ;D

Am always here is you just want to talk or even vent some frustration, may not always say the right things, but will always listen!!

xxxxxx

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.