Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Wondered if any one was having there IVF drugs funded by there GP? I have heard that some surgeries will write a prescription for the drugs needed??? If that is the case then i hope my GP will write me a prescription being as it was there failure to pick up on my early appendicitis which  caused it to perferate and need emergency op which has since caused scare tissue to block my fallopian tubes!
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
54 Posts
stacy

The only drugs i got funded by my gp was the pessaries.  But not all the treatment i had to go to the clinic.

Sorry cant be of any further help

All the best

Vix

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi Stacey

Since the new legislation a lot of the discretion of the GP has been taken away.  Many PCTs now insist that GPs run IVF drug requests past them as they want to take that money and save it for the mythical free cycles that all of us are meant to get!  If you are lucky and your GP has a healthy drugs budget they may let you have them or they may decide they have to write to your PCT for permission. 

Best thing is to make an appt with the nicest GP at your clinic and see if they will consider it.  If not, the prices do vary considerably and if your clinic is unlikely to change your drugs significantly you can order them by post if you find them cheaper (see where to buy cheap drugs thread at the top of this section).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi Stacey,

I asked my local PCT and the answer I received for my area was this: There are no set rules and its up the GP's/Practice, However..... and here is the stinger!!! Many dont when they could because if they write the prescription they are responsible for you. I asked my GP's and as lovely as she was, the practice wouldnt do it  :'(

Ask your GP, they can only say no!!

Love and hugs

Debs
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Stacy,

We made an appointment to see our GP together and asked if they would be willing to assist us with the cost of drugs and they said 'yes' they would cover two cycles of treatment, which we were very pleased about.

I do believe it is up to the individual practices, but you can only ask can't you, you've got nothing to lose.

Good luck!

Redlocks
xx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
I have had my drugs prescribed by my lovely GP.  I only need Progynova and Cyclogest though, not injectables, because we are having egg donation so the regime is different for me.

Good Luck

I think GPs should always fund drugs.  We pay for the NHS after all, and we PAY for prescriptions !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I went and asked  my GP to fund my drugs a few weeks back, and he said if he could he would, but it was down to the PCT. I have some form filling to do, and certain criteria to fulfill before they will consider it (not sent he forms back  yet).  My GP was extremely sympathetic, but I am not holding out any hope, as it is also down to their drugs budget.

Ultimately it is the PCT that holds the power ... apparently.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi,

I think if you write a nice letter saying why you think you should the funding then you might stand a chance.

My GP funded the drugs for one cycle.  He asked the PCT who gave him a vague reply so he had a meeting with all the GP in the practice who all said no.  He still went ahead though  ;D.  I did promise though that I would nt ask again.

It's worth a try.

Good luck.

Becca
x

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi. Thanks for all your advice!!!
Just wondering how long it took to get the ok from your GPs who contacted the PCT? Did u have to wait weeks like u do when applying for IVF fUNDING or are they able to prescribe the drugs straight away?
Thanks Stacy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.