Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there heard of Microdisection Tese?

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that does it?

Has anyone had it done?

My DH has had a Tese carried out that found no sperm and due to the fact that he had sperm in 97 (we got pregnant naturally but I miscarried) I am determined to try all avenues before giving up on our IF battle.

I have lots of positive reports on the procedure being carried out in America and we are scheduled to see a consultant there in July next year for my DH to have it done but I just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who was aware of it and had had it done.

Thanks for your time.

Lol

Fin

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Fin - Sounds like the one where they cut bits of ya balls off, I've heard of it but don't know anywhere that does it.... and I thought SSR sounded bad...

Good luck anyway and enjoy NY...
Andy

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dear Fin,

So very sorry to read that your poor DH went thru the procedure and it did not work. Have just caught up with your postings.

I have been reading about different TESE's and from the description by Peter Schlegel on this link it does sound like the description that Dr Ralph gave us.

http://www.2reproduce.com/archive13.html

They held out very little hope for my DH at the time as he only had one, small testicle left and that was after cancer treatment. I remember that Dr Ralph was concerned about the removal of tissue and the effect it would have on my DH's functioning. He gave us a description of how he would look for sperm and how he would operate to retain tissue and functioing if he could.

Suggest that you speak to his secretary to see if he does carry out this procedure. My apologies if you have already done so as I know you are well researched.

So very sorry about what you are going through.

With love from,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Fin I think this is the procedure that my DH had last January in the UK. Our consultant and surgeon was Jonathan Ramsey - who has offices on Harley Street but also works in a number of west London hospitals.

I can't speak highly enough of him (and a good friend who is a consultant anesthetist in London and has therefore worked with many different surgeons also highly recommended him.)

in terms of the procedure, my DH had it under general and was in hospital overnight. It involved multiple incisions and the extraction of testicular tissue followed by a two week wait while they tried to cultivate (?) sperm from the samples taken. I don't think I'm explaining this very well or completely - I get the impression you are a bit more switched on so can fill in the gaps? and confirm if this is the same procedure you are booked in for.

My husband was very sore after the procedure and was recommended to take a week off work - (but that may have been part emotional recovery!)

To clarify my DH has been diagnosed azoospermia. all tests, scans and hormone tests carried out before the procedure suggested that there was no sperm being produced, but no other physical or hormonal/chromosomal reason for the absence. However DH had hernia operation as a small boy and correction for undescended testicles and this seems to have been the route cause.

unfortunately we were unsuccessful but we both feel confident that we have gone as far as modern medicine can take us. (they were not able to cultivate from samples taken) Jonathan did discuss the future possibilities of stem cell research, but obviously that is not a current reality! (I would stress that our negative result should not be considered a reflection of JR clinic - they have a good success rate but obviously not everyone can be helped)

I would be happy to provide you with the contact details for Jonathan Ramsey's office if you were interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi lucy

we have just reached the same place as you, no sperm but no indications as to why that is as all tests are normal and no medical history to support it.

How are you coping with these feelings of not taking it any further? I am finding it hard to accept that this could be it.

MelJane

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Lucy

So sorry to hear that your Dh went through procedure and it was unsuccessful.

Just to say Mr Ramsey is our urologist too - we very happy with him. If my DH doesnt have sperm in his SA on the day of ec then he will have a microdisection TESE. My DH has very very low count.

If DH has a micro. Tese and they find no sperm - do you know if they can do one at a later date - say 6 months or 1 year later and the results may be different? What are the risks after op?

Also all my DH results have been normal - so Mr Ramsey said he cant give DH a diagnosis without having biopsy to find out what is going on. Hormones, Genetic tests, scan, physical examination. So we dont really know what's causing his low count at all....My dh did have mumps when he was a child.

Lucy - sending you big hugs too - Im also part of male icsi chat thread....

Im hoping my DH wont need this procedure, however if he does it will be decided last minute on ec day and I just want to make sure I have enough info if we need to make a quick decision.

Fin - if you know any more info about this procedure, success rates of dr's ect I would be grateful.

Thanks Deborah 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts