Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a private viability/dating scan at 8 weeks & because of that my midwife has told me I'm not entitled to an NHS scan at 12 weeks.

TBH I'm not that bothered, I've had a few horrrid experiences with NHS scans & I'm quite happy to book at the FMC instead. However since I don't want nuchal screening I'm now wondering if a basic 12 weeks scan is even necessary. Midwife says they are primarily for dating (not an issue) & to diagnose missed m/c before the start of the second trimester. We've already heard the FH & m/w says she'll check again at my 12 week appointment, if all is well then I'm considering saving my pennies for an extra growth/wellbeing scan in the third trimester. Are there any other reasons I should pay for a scan at 12 weeks?

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
12 week scans here are purely for dating and are actually a very recent thing - dd is 20/21 months and they weren't offering them when I was pg with her, the only scan you go then with a 'normal' pregnancy was the 20 week anomoly scan. Therefore, as you aren't having the nuchal, I would be inclined not to bother.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Going on from Chux's experiances with DD, I've heard that still not all areas offer a 12 week scan. I know of someone who's 1st scan was at 19 weeks. They are dating scans which if you have had private and you are happy to go with out then I would save your money for scans later on.
I had DD 16 months ago and had an emergancy scan at 11 weeks at my local hospital (wasn't booked in there for rest of care) and they did say that as I'd had that scan I would no longer get a 12 week scan, but as I was booked in at a different hospital I was lucky enough to get the 12 week scan as they didn't know about the earlier one, might as well milk them when I can.  It does seem if you have had an early scan then you loose your entitlement to a 12 week dating scan

·
Registered
166 Posts
i had 2 scans at my ivf clinic 1 at 6 weeks and 1 at 8 weeks and then still had my nhs 12 week dating scan. i was told it is for dating and to make sure everything is ok with bubs

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you are happy with the dating from your 8 week scan and you don't want a nuchal then the only reason for a 12w scan is reassurance that everything is on track and to get your first sight of a recognisable baby! I assume you aren't going to have the downs screening bloods either. If you are then they really are better in combination with a nuchal to get a better picture of the risk.

Personally I think it is appalling that some trusts offer nothing until 19 weeks. Given the difficulties getting reliable heartbeats in the first tri it would be perfectly possible for missed m/c not to be spotted for a long time. I was lucky my trust offered 12 week scans to everyone and couldn't care less how many scans you had elsewhere (I'd had 4 by teh time I saw them in my first pg) as they wanted to see things for themselves which is as I think it should be.

best wishes
Betty

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

MIL has offered to pay for a scan, so we have one booked for next Friday (12+5). I'm not feeling very positive about it, but I suppose it is better to know (what I really want to do is just pretend everything is fine). I'm seeing m/w on Monday, but I haven't been able to find the FH with my doppler (at this point with my son it was easy to find)  :-\

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
faraday ^hugme^ try not to worry too much about the doppler it is still very early I remember stressing exactly the same as I had found it earlier with DD then i did this time

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
It is still very early to hear FH at this stage hun - try not to worry.

Our trust don't offer a 12 week, and we booked our own nuchal.  however i got my money's worth out of the NHS - i ended up having 5 additional scans because of bleeding etc, and the consultant brought me back at about 28 weeks (can't really remember when now!) for another one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts