Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going for egg collection on Mon. Was told on Wed. and Fri. that I am approaching  OHSS because of amount of follicles. My last blood test showed levels  of 8000. Is this good/bad? I have been told to continue as normal - egg maturing injection in 10 mins. Just gone into bit of panic - v. worried about getting OHSS. Really don't want to have to have embryo transfer cancelled - been through so much already - not sure if I can face anymore. On Fri. I had at least 12 follicle bigger than 17 and many other ranging between 10 and 16. Anyone know how indicative the blood levels are?

Jayne

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Jaydon

I was on the verge of OHSS on my first cycle and had it mild on my 3rd. I was told to drink plenty of water and i mean plenty. On my first cycle they told me to drink 4 litres a day. A lot of the girls on this site also reckon cranberry juice is very good to help stop OHSS if you like it that is.
Good luck i hope you can ward it off.

love Kim x x x

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Jayne

Hun, I'm no nurse but when I had my last IVF I had levels at 25000 before I took my trigger, I was coasted for a while until I came down to within 10000, this was their benchmark, so please don't worry. If your clinic thought you where in any danger of OHSS they would stop you taking the trigger and let you do it in a few days time.

You can still get OHSS after EC & ET either pregnancy related or not so please look out for the signs they will advise you off.

Good luck !
Amanda x

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying. Sorry about multiple posts - didn't know not allowed. Have calmed down a bit now. Should be used to this by now, but had problems at so may different stages, that the anxiety seems worse this time.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll try to take a few deep breaths inbetween my water and cranberry juice!

Jayne

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Jayne
I don't know anything about your blood levels as I wasn't measured but I got mild OHSS after ET once.  The advice on drinking water is absolutely right - it's to make you pee out the hormones so you don't produce and retain fluid (which is what OHSS does).  If you had it really badly you would be put on a protein drip, which for some reason cures it, so you should also eat plenty of protein (this really helped get rid of my symptoms)  - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts - until you go nil by mouth of course.....
Also drink a pint or two of milk or soya milk, this kills two birds with one stone - fluids and protein.
After EC keep drinking and eating protein as you can still get OHSS.

I know people talk about cranberry juice on this site,  but I always thought that was for urinary infections like cystitis, not OHSS.

Try not to panic, OHSS is avoidable if you know what to do and what to look for. If you bloat up so that it becomes very uncomfortable, keep up the fluids and regularly peeing and call your clinic.  If you start to rapidly put on weight (ie through fluid retention) and/or have difficulty in breathing then you must go to casualty immediately. 

Hope you feel OK soon, and good luck for your EC.  I'm sure it'll be fine.

Claire x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jayne,
My second cycle they collected 29 eggs and I had mild ohss, just keep your fliuds right up and also try drinking a sports drink not sure where your from but our clinics in oz tell us to drink Gatorate. Just a thought, but good luck with EPU.

Shazz
:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Claire and Shazz,

A big thank you to both of you for your advice and reassurance. They collected 38 eggs! Obviously, the clinic are now very concerned about OHSS. Egg collection was Mon. and it's now Wed. and so far so  good. I don't know at what point I am ou of the woods. Got to return for scan and bloods next Wed. I meantime, I have to inject Buserelin twice daily - thought that was over with!

The news about the eggs wasn't terrible but wasn't good - 20 of them were 'dead'; out of the other 18, only 6 fertilised (v. low). However, on the positive side that's 6 more than last time!

ET couldn't go ahead due to hyperstimualtion, so I now have to wait 2-3 months for my body to recover, and then try FET.

Luck certainly does not seem on our side - we seem to have experienced problems at so many different stages!

Thanks again for support and good luck,

Jayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.