Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

Has anyone got any success stories they could share regarding embryo adoption at Institute Marques?  We have looked at egg donation with DP's sperm but this is looking unlikely to succeed.  Embryo adoption had been suggested.  we are still talking it through.

Any success stories would be really appreciated.  Need something to cheer us up!

Harvey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Harvey, I hope you get some encouraging answers because me and my DH are off to IM on 2nd June for our first appointment to enquire about embryo adoption. So far I cant praise them enough for efficiency, they respond really quickly to all my emails (and I have sent lots!) and answer all my questions really comprehensively. 

Will keep an eye out for everyones answers and will drop a note with my comments when we get back.

Best wishes
Carrie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck in June Carrie.  We went to IM at the end of April to look at egg donation but it looks like we need embryo adoption.

We have found them excellent in terms of comms etc and answering our questions.  Would love to hear how you get on.  Fingers crossed and wishing you good luck for your appointment.

Harvey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Harvey, we leave for Barcelona this afternoon! Anxious, nervous, excited - I dont know how to feel, but looking forward to getting there and finding out all the info. We had 3 ICSI's in UK last year, but I've now been told that my ovarian reserves are dropping so we figured donation might be our best chance. 

Our appointment is tomorrow Mon 2 June  - will post again when we get back mid week.
Thanks for your encouragement,
Carrie x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there, we are back! All went well, we were very impressed by Institutio Marques, very efficient as we expected, Dr Olivares and Maria both lovely to deal with, very informative, they explained everything very matter of fact - which I like (i hate being pressed to see counsellors etc as all the clinics in the UK do, when I make up my mind about something I just like to get on with it). So the upshot is, I start hormone patches on day 1 of my july period, i have a scan in UK on day 7-9 of period (i've arranged this with my former UK clinic and they were absolutely happy to help out),  then depending if womb lining is thick enough, I have to haul ass back to Barcelona in time for day 15 to have the embryo transfer.  Thereafter just pessaries until HPT and if I get a BFP, i have to continue pessaries for 70 days - this stops my body kick starting into ovulating again, and therefore gives the embryos the best chance of implanation and continuation of the first couple of months of pregnancy. Simple!

As far as characteristic matching etc, we already knew that we couldnt expect a blond, blue eyed child from this process, but Dr Olivares said that, although all the donors are spanish, bascially any child would not likely be any more "suntanned" than he is!

The embryo bank itself has been created from a few different circumstances - some embryos are left over from IVF patients cycles and the patients allowed the frozen embies to be dontated to the clinic. Some embies have been created from other patients donor egg and/or donor sperm cycles, and again the commissioning patient has not wished to use the ones left.  Also with some patients commissioning egg donors, there have been occassions where the egg donor was ready for egg collection but for some reason or another, the recipient patient could not be available to be at the clinic to co-incide with the egg collection. So rather than discard the eggs, IM fertilise them and store them for future embie donation.

re numbers of eggs to be transfered to me, Dr O gave us the choice whether 2 or 3 go back into me. He said he had rarely had 3 out of 3 actually take and end up with triplets, but 3 gives me better odds. But entirely up to us. I think we are going to opt to have 3 to increase our chances of at least one taking.

So looking forward to going back at the end of july!

A word of warning - I had heard about the pickpocket problem in Barc. Thought it wouldnt happen to me, thought i was street-wise. Well not so. On a lovely wide street near La Ramblas, a motorbike mounted the pavement behind me, he grabbed my handbag and because I didnt let go the handle, I was dragged on my back, 10 yards along the street. Perhaps because I was yelling blue murder, and perhaps because my 6ft2 husband was legging it towards him too, the thief thankfully let go my bag, and I was left a crumpled heap on the street, cut, bruised and very sore, but still with my bag at least.  Ladies - if possible get your DH to carry a rucksack, and only take out what you need for the day. I wont even carry any kind of bag the next time we go, as even if you have nothing valuable in it, the thieves will still target you.  thankfully this was the mornning of our IM appointment so Dr Olivares kindly patched me up and cleaned my cuts for me.

So Harvie, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend IM and Dr Olivares, Let me know what you decide to do, and I will keep posting nearer July to keep you up to date with the process.

All the best
Carrie

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just to add to this thread.  I have 20 month old boy/girl twins from a donor embryo cycle at IVI Valencia when I was 46.   I have been extremely lucky as this was my last chance having had several miscarriages before.  I was finally diagnosed with clotting and autoimmune issues and was treated with steroids, clexane, folgard, gestone etc and was very luck to have my babies in 2006.

One thing which is very prominent for me and is something to think about is the fact that the donation is anonymous.  This is difficult for me as I am intending to be completely open with my children and I find it hard that there is so little information about the donors (I was only given blood group and age, no more - I don't even know whether they are Spanish donors). 

However, I truly believe that with support and help, my children can cope with this and have started already telling them about how they came to be.  I was incredibly lucky to have had this option and am thankful every day for my babies.

I had my babies via IVI Valencia, but I know that IM is a very highly regarded clinic and has very good success rates so you are in very good hands.

Carrie - Just from personal experience I found the DE counselling I had really helpful, but I know it's a difficult subject so please I hope you don't mind me mentioning it.  I also find the support of the Donor Conception Network invaluable and have met many couple and donor embryo conceived children there which I feel will help my children in the future.

The meds. you will be on from the beginning will probably be a decap. of some sort to downregulate your system.  Then oestrogen to build your lining and then just before transfer, progesterone to prepare the womb for implantation.  E2 and progesterone are continued after a bfp for approx. 12 weeks in order to maintain the womb lining for pregnancy (not to prevent ovulation - that is earlier on in the cycle).  Your body does not produce any of these hormones in this cycle so meds. have to create the right environment for pg.

Just as a final note - ref. the transfer of 2 or 3 embryos.  It really depends on how good you are at implantation (if you see what I mean) and what quality the embryos are.  Bear in mind that these are young eggs, so much more fertile.  I transferred 2 x day 3 embryos and had twins.   It is lovely to have twins, but not without complications and higher risks, so there is a real need to weigh these options ref. triplets I think.  I am sure IM will guide you on the day when you see how your embies are doing..

A final, final note.  I would really urge everyone to make sure you have had as many basic checks as possible before going for a cycle.  Sometimes doctors assume it is our age that is responsible for failure and while this is a huge factor, there are other issues which if left untreated, will impact on donor embyro conception.  These would include things like DH's sperm and karyotype, Uterine issues (fibroids etc), clotting issues, thyroid, autoimmune issues and bacterial issues.  Just a warning from bitter experience and 4 years researching fertility issues.

Wishing all of you the very best of luck and hoping for as much success and happiness as I have with my babies.

Best,

Daisy
xxx

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for your very informative post Creamybun about embryo adoption. Sorry to hear about your attempted mugging.

For a success story, look on 'IM bumps and babies' page 17, where 'Lilli' has recently had a embryo adoption baby from IMs scheme.

Regards, the Mountainlions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there, I am back again! Had my donor embryos (2) transfered last thursday. They were fresh ones too, so we basically got about 20 hours notice to get ourselves over there!  They have given us a 50% sucess rate  :)

Dr Olivares told us that our donor was 26, light brown hair and eyes, about 5'3 and 8 stone - which (apart from her eye colour and her age) is pretty much a good match for me - we couldnt have asked for better, really.

I am now 8 days in the 2WW.  Very simple process, just been using estrogen patches for the last 2 weeks, and now including progesterone pessaries to maintain a cosy atmosphere for the embies.

Harvey - whats new with you?

Lorraine - how are you doing? you must have been there just a couple of weeks before me.

Best of luck to everyone
Carrie xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts