Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had been tested for raised NK cells and then had a successful IVF with Essex Fertility?  I had failed go last September and have since been tested for raised NK cells.  Am debating whether to move clinics or stick with Essex???  Anyone got any advice to share with me???:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

I had a successful ICSI at Essex Fertility Centre in 2006.  I had various immunology tests and mine were slightly high but I can't remember exactly which ones.  I was put on Prednisolone steroids to dampen down my immune system and it worked!

I'm thinking of going back for some more treatment soon even though I've moved away from the area as the use of them may have been the thing that made all the difference.

Hope this helps - sorry I can't remember the exact details and good luck with your treatment.

^fairydust^

Jo

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooooo this is encouraging to hear.  I really want to have another go at IVF but I'm so scared of it failing.  But hearing your news give me hope!!!  Congratulations on your success and good luck for future treatments.  :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hello,

There are a few ways I have heard immunes being treated
(1) Steroids (Dexamethasone, Prednisalone) which seem to be used if your problem is only minor (cheap generic drugs)
(2) IVIG- much more expensive (few thousand) if you have suffered recurrent miscarriage and have an identified immune problem

If I was in the 2nd category I would probably go back to ARGC in London who have a collaboration with a US research centre and I believe are cutting edge in this field. However, they are double the price of Herts & Essex, very disorganised and their customer service is nowhere near as good but their stats. for success are better so if you have a specific problem it might be worth it.

I don't know if you already know you have a defined immunology related problem?  If so there is no harm in asking H&E if they do things like IVIG but also weigh up the London clinics too.

Diane

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi there,

I have had 2 failed cycles at E&H whilst they were at HH...after the first failed attempt I asked for immune tests and my NK cell count came back slightly raised.  They therefore put me on a low dose (15mg) of prednisolone for my 2nd tx, which also failed...both cycles went really well, getting to Blasts both times so I saught further immmune testing with Mr *******...he told me that the NK cell test they did at HH wasnt any good and that the dosage they gave me wouldnt hit the sides!  He tested my NK activity (activity/cytocxicity is what matters, not count) and I that was incredibily high and when treated with steroids and IVIG the higher dose of steroids (40mg) worked better...so on my 3rd cycle at Barts I had this but unfortunately it didnt work...I have now decided to go to the ARGC to see whether it is worth having IVIG aswell or just giving up!

So, what I am trying to say in a long winded way is that even though I think that E&H are great, if you suspect an immune problem then I would seek alternative testing, either with the ARGC or with Mr ******* in Harley St...

Good luck to all...

LoL
Melx

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Mel,

Just wanted to say I didn't have an immune issue so didn't personally have IVIG at ARGC but alot of the other girls there did and spoke very highly of them and some I know achieved pregnancy.

Good luck with your journey!

Diane

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Mel - I just wanted to say thank you for your post - I've been in a complete dilemma about what to do for my next cycle - after three unsuccessful goes (two at E&H, one at the ISIS for my NHS go) I have found out I also have elevated natural killer cells but after reading Dr Beer's book on NKC I had not been convinced by the advice at E&H to try again on a low dose steroid without further testing and your experience with Mr ******* has now convinced me to get a further opinion - I have been debating whether to got to  the ARGC for a while but the cost had put me off, but I now think that may be the best thing rather than have another unsuccessful go.
I know it is a while since you posted but how did you get on at the ARGC?
Thanks, Rachel x

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi I am at E&h and have been prescribed 15mg prednisoline. Has anyone else been prescribed same dose after having previous ivf attempts and got bfp
X x
Laura

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hello All,

I previously went to Herts & Essex. I now believe prednisolone simply isn't enough for some people. Also your NKs can rise every time you miscarry as I have discovered.

IVIG, intrallipids and LIT may be necessary so if you have recurrent failure or miscarriage I'd recommend Mr. Gorgy in Wimpole Street for comprehensive testing and a treatment strategy. He is happy to treat immune issues alongside ICSI/IVF elsewhere.

Diane

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Girls

It has been a while since I posted anything. After my third BFN, I have taken a bit of a sedated back seat.
After my second ICSI when we tranferred 2 day 5 embies failed we too did the NK tests and my results came back slightly elevated. I too was put on Pred at 15mg a day.  The doctors as H&E said they were not raised enough to be seriously worried but thought the steriods would help. The thing is, I felt alot going on during the third attempt so was really shocked when it came back negative.

We will now be leaving H&E, although I really do not want too. I believe they can get me my BFP but the NHS will not sanction a move there, so we are transferring to Bourne Hall. I have no idea at this stage if they will enterain the idea of the raised NK, but as I qualify for 3 goes on the NHS, we feel we have to try at least. We are hoping with the history and test results from H&E, we can reach a protocol which will give us a BFP.

It seems alot of girls are now getting tested for the NK cells and are coming back raised, you have to wonder if this a more common reason for infertility then they state. But we are hearing stories of more BFP's when girls are put on steriods after repeated negatives and miscarriages so I believe there is something in it. Hopefully Boune will follow a similar protocol or atleast give us some confidance in the next cycles.

Wishing you all success for 2010.
Take care
Kerst

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hi there,

I had IVF at Holly House and had raised killer cells (diagnosed due to 5 early mc).  They agreed to give me prednisolone as prescribed by my consultant along with clexane.

After EC, I was given the prescription for my drugs but not for the correct amount.  I was supposed to have 20mg prednisolone, but they gave me 15mg and I was supposed to have 40mg clexane but they gave me 20mg.  I had previous mc on lower dosages, which is why my consultant prescribed higher doseages, all this was discussed at my intial appointment.

When I tried to explain I had the worng amounts, Michael told me that this was the "standard" amount they prescribe and if it was good enough for St Mary's recurrent MC clinic, it would be fine for me!! 

I was too tired to argue and luckily i had some meds left from my prev pg and my GP then prescribed me the correct amount.

So yes they will treat you for killer cells but only their "standard" treatment.  Clinic's like ARGC, will treat your immunes on an individual basis.

Thankfully for me, the IVF worked and I now have a gorgeous 2 year old.

Good luck
Tracy x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts