Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I have always been concerned about risks of ectopic and have now heard of someone who just went for their first scan and found out this has happened to her. I am wondering if you get any signs of a possible ectopic pregnancy before a scan?

Thank you
Traceylea

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Traceylea

I hope by now you have had your scan and all is OK. Many ectopics present before or around 6 weeks with the classic signs of brown bleeding and most notably abdominal pain, although symptoms differ and can include dizziness, sickness, fainting. For more info on ectopics please visit www.ectopic.org, a brillliant and informative website (I am a volunteer for them). With IVF you have about a 5% chance of an ectopic and therefore a much larger chance of the pregnancy being uterine.

So to really answer your question, you may not have had any signs at 6 weeks and find out at the scan or may have had bleeding or pain (often very similar to bleeding and ligament pain associated with successful early pregnancies). Your clinic should be able to rule out an ectopic with the scan and serial hcg counts 48 hours apart.

Hope all goes well for you.

Jane

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dear Tracey,

There is nothing I can add to Janes' reply.

Regards,

Peter

Traceylea said:
I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I have always been concerned about risks of ectopic and have now heard of someone who just went for their first scan and found out this has happened to her. I am wondering if you get any signs of a possible ectopic pregnancy before a scan?

Thank you
Traceylea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts