Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hi Everyone

Just got back and what a day I've had!

Got up at 5.30am as planned, picked up MIL at 6.15am and trotted off on our trip to London.  Got to ARGC at about 9.00am, so not too bad.  Went to the Doctors Laboratory for my results and they were fine.  Asked the nurse if she'd be able to fax the results through the ARGC and she said she'd 'Do It Right Away!'  Went for a coffee & a bit of brekkie & popped back to ARGC to see Jo.  No results had been faxed through (surprise, surprise!)  Jo chased them (took a couple of times though) and I finally got my prescription -  ^banana^

Drove back to Bournemouth and popped in on the pharmacy I was going to use - they couldn't order it on their computer or contact their supplier  :mad:  said they'd phone me back but didn't.  Phoned our local hospital who said they had 2 syringes of Humira in stock & charged the same as the pharmacy.  Went to pick them up and they had none.  They questioned Mr T's prescription, saying they didn't know who he was.  Luckily I had my completed insurance claim form which had his GMC No & Qualifications - which they accepted.  Bottom line is, they've accepted the prescription, but need to order the Humira.  It'll be in on Weds next week at the earliest, so at least I should be able to start the Humira some time next week.

A very frustrating day at times, but at least I got my prescription and drugs ordered at the end of the day.

Marly ~ so pleased your follow-up went well and that you'll be having FET in Feb - good luck!

Jane ~ Wow - 20 week scan already - good luck!

Flopsy ~ Don't know if I saw you at the clinic today as I don't know what you look like.  I was there with MIL, shoulder length brown hair & wearing a light grey puffa jacket.  Glad everything went well.

Moni ~ sorry can't help on the steroid front.  I don't know if ARGC routinely suggest a hysteroscopy before treatment - it really depends on the individual.  They suggested one for me as we'd had a negative cycle previously.

MelJane ~ sorry to hear that your clinc were unable to detect any sperm when DH had his TESE.  I'm sorry, but I haven't any experience of DI - I hope someone can help with your questions.  In terms of who to see at ARGC, I don't think it's possible for Mr Taranissi to see everyone, but he does oversee all of the treatment.  We saw Tarek for our first consultation, then Mr Gorgy for our second visit and our third was Mr Taranissi.  It might be worth visiting ARGC for a consultation to ask what their approach would be.  Good luck!

Tonga ~ did you manage to get to your pharmacy - when do you pick up your drugs?

Renata ~ was that you at the clinic today in the black dress - how are you getting on?

Hi to Carmela, Emmi, Georgia, Wis, Audrey, Sophia, DaisyJ, Eva, GM, Van, Emmalou, Victoria, DBZ, Megan, Est, Crystal, Thewife, Laura, Jen, Tash, Abby and any other ARGC girls I've missed (blimey, there's loads of us now!)  Hope you're all well!

Catch up soon
Love
Nikki
x
^wave^

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi girls,

Nikki - Wow what a day you've had.  Why did I just know it wasn't going to be simple ??!!  The main thing is it's all ordered !!!!!!  Fantastic.

As for me my drugs are ordered too !  Mine should be at the pharmacy by Tuesday afternoon - so pretty similar timing to you.  I've just been working out when I can go back in for the follow up test.  If I take the first jab on Tues 11th, the second will be on the 25th Jan.  I will then go for the follow up on Tuesday 1st Feb (7 days after).  We can only have the test done on a Mon, Tues or Weds and I work on a Weds so it looks like the Tues is my only chance really.  How will it work for you ?  We are likely to be there about the same time ?

Anyway, I hope everyone is OK today.  Enjoy your weekend girls.

Love Tonga xxx

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hiya Tonga

Thanks for reminding me about the 'Mon-Weds only' blood tests - I forgot you couldn't have them done Thurs/Fri  ::)

I'm hoping that I'll do my first jab next Weds eve.  I'll take my second on Weds 26th and then go for my follow-up bloods on 2nd Feb.  If the drugs don't get here for Weds, then I'll most probably leave it until Mon 17th before I do my first jab.

You never know, we might end of jabbing & testing on the same day!

Have a good weekend.
Bye for now
Nikki
x
^wave^

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi girls,

What an idiot I am, I obviously wasn't listening properly at my follow up - there was a lot to take in.  I phoned the clinic today for piece of mind and I have to have my mock et in the cycle previous to tx, so I can't start this month.  So February it is for my next ICSI (short protocol).  Kind of glad as it will give me a month to eat more healthly.  

Welcome MelJane, they do DI at the ARGC as it's in their booklet.  I'd highly recommend the ARGC, it may cost a little more (about £7,500 last time including travel and accomodation over et), but you're paying for first class medical treatment.

Wis - good luck with weightwatchers and your hysteroscopy later this month.

Nikki - thanks for the reply.  I aked on the phone today about the steroids and I'd heard of them from here, so that's good.  Well done on getting your presciption and Humira ordered - sounds like quite an ordeal!

Take care all
Moni xxx

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi girls
Welcome MelJane - we went to the Bridge for our 1st attempt and were also disappointed in their follow-up (i.e. no ideas at all!). ARGC are MUCH better - good luck!! (You usually see Mr T. a few times during each tx, and he oversees everything anyway (he is a total control freak, which is perfect - that's why his results are so good!)).
Nikki & Tonga - glad to hear you got the prescriptions, (despite the setbacks!) - why is nothing easy?!!  :mad:
Moni - I had low dose steroids (Dexamethasone), side effects = insatiable hunger!! Eat loads of veg this month and get yourself ready for a BFP!!!  ^reiki^
Thanks for all the good luck wishes - my news today is good  ^afro^ - scan went well, and everything was as it should be. Apparently the babies weigh 15oz and 1lb already - she said they were a good size - I reckon they'll be a pair of corkers if I go full term! I was 7lb when I was born, but DH was about 10lb (ooouch! :p). I am back in next week for NK follow-up and blood count. There is a tiny possibility I might be able to stop Clexane, but I am not holding my breath!
Hi and love to everyone
Love
Jane
XX

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Janis18

Just to say I'm really pleased your scan went well today.  They sound like very healthy bubba's to me !

Love Tonga xxx

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi all,

Emmi - I'll get my results on Tues, so may have IVIG Weds.

Jane - great news about your scan - it must be amazing now they are growing so fast.....

Moni - like Jane, I am on the steroid Dexamethasone. Some girls are on another steroid Prednisolone - I think this is just a weaker steroid, but not 100% sure.  My only side effect, as Jane, is that I am starving all the time and as a result have put on quite a bit of  weight ....this also happened in my last failed cycle though but once I had stopped the steroids, it did come off.  Jane - out of interest have you put on alot of weight?  I have already grown out of all my jeans & trousers ........

Treacle - glad you got Humira sorted in the end. Good luck to you and Tonga with your jabs.

Hello to everyone else.

x vic

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi girls

What busy people!

Moni, Soph, Van, Carmela and J. - thank you all so much for your support and words which when I read are words of such wisdom. I don't know what I would do without this site. I have had a real problem using it the last 2 days as I can't access certain pages or reply - has anyone else had this?

I read that so many girls have gone down the immune route with ARGC and yet when I look other places they don't seem to bother. Is there a reason for this? Can I ask some advise - I know all will be explained to me when it comes to it but these drugs for immune problems do they have bad side effects? I can see that they are expensive from your posts but why do you all have to go about getting them yourselves? Do the ARGC not do them?
I am having immune testing Monday - when the results come back do they go through them in a consultation or over the phone? - Is this all very complicated? It does sound it reading your posts.
Thanks girls I know when I read your replies I will feel at ease again.

Lots of happy injecting and prescription collecting girls.
It's the weekend!!!
GM xxx

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hi GM

I think ARGC like you to go in to discuss the results of your immune tests. For me, I was at the clinic having a mid-cycle scan when I noticed in my notes that my results were in. I mentioned it to Tarek and he briefly went through what treatment they would recommend, i.e IVIG to lower my NK cells.

I got a phone call later the same day. Tarek had spoken to Mr T to ask what treatment Mr T would recommend. He explained that I have high TNFa levels, so wanted me to try Humira to lower my TNFa levels prior to commencing treatment. Once my treatment starts, I'll then have to have IVIG during stimms and before EC.

DH and I were a little shell shocked - didn't know what to think really. Was the cost worth it? Why didn't other clinics do it? Did we want to risk going through the treatment without it? What were the side-effects? I was asked to pop up to the clinic the next day as I had to have a HEAF test prior to being able to take Humira anyway and that would take a week for the results.

I'm glad we popped up - we had a few concerns and asked if we could speak to one of the consultants. We waited and were able to see Mr G who explained it quite carefully to us. They can't guarantee that by having immune treatment that the end result will be a positive pregnancy. He explained that IVF treatment was an equation and immune issues form part of that equation. By eliminating factors that can explain why a treatment could fail, they are able to determine the correct cycle of treatment. That is why ARGC girls are monitored so closely as there are so many factors that form that equation. They know so little about the immune issues, but what they have found is that it immune treatment has worked for patients where there was no explanation previously. I was lucky enough to meet a couple of ladies in the waiting room who had gone through immune treatment and were lucky enough to fall pregnant/have children from treatment. Unfortunately, it isn't the answer for everyone.

There are a couple of websites that contain info on immune treatment http://repro-med.net/ and http://www.rcog.org.uk/. Mr G suggested I look on the latter website as it contained a couple of reports that suggested immune testing/treatment wasn't proven to be successful.

In terms of why are we getting the drugs ourselves - I don't know really. I just phoned round a few pharmacies to get a price I was happy with - I didn't ask ARGC.

Good luck with your immune tests - your results should take a couple of weeks. Sorry for the war and peace on this - I thought I'd share my experience of immune testing with you and hope it's helped you in some way.

Take Care
love
Nikki
x
^wave^

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nikki + Tonga glad you have both finally managed to order your perscriptions. You would think at the prices they charge for it, it would be delivered to your door on a silver tray!

Jane - glad your scan went well, 10lb OMG !!

GM - Nikki has explained things so well that all i can add is that i wish you all the best.

Hello to everyone

Love Carmela x

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi everyone.

Nikki - what a day!  so much for relaxing during tx.  I'm glad you finally sorted the humira out - I'd have been ready to hit someone having travelled to the hospital only to find they didn't have it (good thing I'm not the violent sort!)

Tonga - all systems go!  good luck to you both

Moni - it's not surprising you didn't catch everything at the follow-up!  I always want to take a tape recorder with me...and a time machine so I can go back and ask the questions that come to me the minute I walk out the door of the clinic after it!

Jane - that's a brilliant size for the babies!  You want them to be bonny and bouncy - a lot easier to handle.  don't worry about size at birth. both dh and I were over 10lb and when ds was "only" 9'9" dh's comment was "is that all"..or something like that.  Your littl'uns are certainly doing well.  Did you peek?

Moni - I've been on both dexamethasone and prednilasone (sp?) in different cycles.  I put on a tonne of weight with them and, I don't know if it is my imagination, but I got hairier too!  not nice, but worth it if it works.

GM - I think the immune theory is quite a new one and addressed more in the US, or so I understand it.  My experience of the UK (speaking as a "foreigner" here  ;) ) is that the UK tends to hang back and take on new things and ideas a bit later than some other countries.  I get the impression that Mr T is pretty forward thinking and acting in his approach.  I think CARE, in Nottingham, are treating immune problems and using IVIG, but there certainly few clinics in the UK which are.  The drugs I have had are clexane (heparin) and all I had from that was a tendency to bruise a bit easier, particularly round the injection site.  steriods...mentioned above!  Tx before last I also had ritodrine and had to take that every 6 hours...my main side effect was tiredness from waking at 3 am each morning!  I had IVIG, but the long term effects of that are basically unknown, as it is a pooled blood products.  I didn't react to the IVIG, but I understand that you can get hives or similar reactions.  Humira's the other main drug, which Tonga and Nikki should be able to tell you about next week !
When my first immune tests came back and I went into the clinic for a pre tx scan Julie told me to make sure I saw Mr T to discuss them with me and he went through everything he thought I'd need...and at that stage it was everything!!!  I think they also explain them over the phone.  the web sites Nikki has given also explain things.
As for getting the drugs - I think that, as they are not very regularly used drugs and not strictly IVF drugs they are not held by the clinic - they certainly didn't have them when I asked.  John Bell & Whatsits (sorry, forgotton the name but the girls from the clinic can tell you where it is) hold clexane and the steriods and you can buy your initial supplies there.  the steroids are pretty cheap and I got my clexane after that from Tesco pharmacy at about £5 per injection (I was too lazy to phone around).  My GP  prescribed them all for me once I got a +ve, but I understand that I was lucky with that.  Humira is so expensive that it pays to ring around.

Carmela - I hope that with all the d/r symptoms you and dh are still reasonably sane!  I hope the scan on monday (?) shows that you are ready to get underway!

Love to everyone else....I hope you don't mind if I don't name you all!

Van
XX

·
Registered
161 Posts
Morning girls,
Hope you are all ok after all that wind last night, I was awake all night scared the cat would blow away in the middle of the night like the dog in Wizard of Oz ;D
Anyway, Van and Nikki and the others who answered the immune issue questions - blimey, well put all of you!  Maybe you should get jobs at the argc to explain it to patients!
Nikki and Tonga, looks like you two will be cycle buddles  ^excercise3^, I wish you both well with your injections, hope they come in next week Nikki!  Good Luck!
Carmella, Good luck to you for Monday, hope you are 'ready'.x
Jane, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  are you having a natural birth?  Sounds like nice healthy sizes to me and so pleased you saw them, bet it's amazing seeing them now from the little baked bean they were a few months ago?  Well done, keep doing what you are doing as it is obviously doing them good.  I wanna know if you peeked too?  I am with you in the - don't want to know front - but it won't stop me from trying to work it out  ;)  And if you can stop the Haparin, bonus! :)  Well done angel.x
Vic, got my results and I am in Weds too for a scan - to check on this sac problem - but looks like I may not need ivig as my levels have dropped since the last one :) I think it depends on the fludis in the sac as if that is too little they might give me one anyway to try and up the fluid amount as that did the trick before  :-\  But will prob. see you there, will be early as dh has to work so we'll need to be in and out.  Are you back at work or still signed off?  Hope your results are good.x
Renatta, how you doing?
Hello everyone else and have a great weekend.  :-*

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi there ARGC girls,
Thanks Girls - you are right - it is amazing they are growing so fast - it still feels like it's happening to someone else! As I told the Dr that I didn't want to know the sexes, she didn't give us a chance to peek - DH was very disappointed (he wants to know!). I reckon it's 2 boys - mainly as everyone on the twin bumps board is having 1 of each, or 2 girls, so I figure it has to even out somewhere. 2nd guess is one of each, and I'd be very surprised if it was 2 girls! I don't mind what they are though, as you can probably imagine! Emmi - I am planning on a 'natural' birth (the consultant reckons that as I am tall (DH said read 'big' here :mad:), it should be fine). I think they recommend an epidural though, and my hospital does mobile ones. I think it's so you can bring yourself to push the 2nd one out, and also in case of emergency c-section, it's 'ready to go' and they don't have to give you a general. How annoying would that be? - waking up and everyone knows the news before you?! ^snarl^
Victoria - I did put on quite a bit of weight from the steroids - most of my clothes were too tight by the time I got the BFP! However, my appetite has diminshed to become tiny over the last few weeks - maybe there isn't much room in my stomach any more as it's probably getting crushed! I'll be weightwatchers most dedicated member later this year!
Van - I certainly got hairier from the steroids too - I had to bleach the attractive moustache that appeared ^confused^, and waxing seemed to be MUCH worse! Like you, I also bruise from the Clexane, as well as bleed easily from the injection site (and my nose and gums! ^eyes^). I also had ritrodine every 6 hours for the 2WW.
Emmi - have everything crossed for a very 'juicy sac' for your little 'un. ^reiki^
Nikki, Tonga and Carmela - good luck with next week - hope you are all ready for the 'off' very soon  ^reiki^
GM - welcome and good luck - you are at the right place
Have a lovely weekend everyone
Jane
XX

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi girls,
Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully I'll be able to post this time as I keep getting booted off - don't think I've got firewall set up correctly.

It's good to hear that they talk to you in detail re immune issues, as I was given the results over the phone.  When I go in for my mock et towards the end of the month I'll ask more about them then.

Thanks for the info on the steroids - I'll have to make sure there's no naughty food in the house to tempt me! As for the excess hair, I already do my upper lip!  I'll end up looking like a yeti.  Oh well, it'll certainly be worth it for a BFP!

Jane - what lovely news on the babies!

Emmi - good luck for the scan.

Take care all
Moni xxx

·
Registered
586 Posts
Nikki and Van

You should get jobs at the ARGC explaining things as your explanations were great and made me feel reassured and NOT alone. Thanks for taking the time to write all of what you did I do appreciate it lots.
I feel happier reading the information and I agree we are a bit behind other countries and as Mr G said in 10 years time when we have caught up and are doing this widely I will be too old to have a baby - nice man, made me feel good!!

Reading both your posts about follow up treatment and emotions and how people cope  - I actually have realised there is no way I could jump straight in and do it again. The sheer physicality of getting up at 5 each morning to go for bloods before work is something I could not do again at the minute. Also when I think back and how when it was near e/c I thought Saturdays and Sundays I could be free from treking to the clinic and then had to go Saturday and then when I was told to wait around in town to see if it had to be repeated that day, I was in Selfridges and the phone rang and they said not today but come early tomorrow for tests and I burst into tears because I was so tired and wanted so much to rest and be left alone - no I couldn't do all that again now. But after the BFN I was so desperate to get on and be active, my feelings have changed so much. Also this immune thing has made me realise that it is wise to check other things out as it is money down the drain - and a lot of it!!

These immune issues and cost - I feel I haven't really thought about how it can be afforded - were you the same? Do you just get on with it and think it has to be?

Thanks girls for being there.
Take care love GM xxx

Hi to everyone - I am starting to get confused with all the names now so sorry I haven't mentioned you separately. Good luck with what you are doing and where you are at - lots of BFP for 2005.

GM xxx

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi Nikki

I found the Dr Beer website really interesting and even though I need a biology degree to understand most of it I got the idea. The other website for the royal college - where do I go to to find the section on immune testing / treatment - sorry to ask it's just I can't find it.
Thanks
GM xx

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hiya girls

Hope everyone is well

Jane great to hear both bubbs are growing nicely. good luck hun :) hopefully cleaxane will be stopped next week babe as they are a blinking mare when you run out of places ;D

Emmi good luck for Wednesday hopefully you wont need ivig anymore

As for me said farewell to my kidney infection only to get a stinking cold Thursday afternoon only for it to go into full blown flu was so ill Friday had to sleep with the fan on as temp was 103.So yippee to know my immune system is working but :'( as I feel like S**T

Hi to all hope your all ok

Love Georgia
xxx

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Georgia, sorry youre feeling sick, get well soon.

Jane can i ask you something....when do you actually start seeing an Obstetrician (see i cant even spell it zet ).  and how did you decide who.  i dont even have a GP since we moved and in this country you have to change them when you move.  are there any special considerations when you are having twins (sorry this kezboard is unfamiliar to me and i cant find the question mark).  i know iäm counting chickens with the twins question but who knows eh.... mz scan is on wednesdaz - why is the z where the y is supposed to be on this thing.....grrrr.

in prague with mum at the minute she still doesnt know  ;D ;D ;D

ive just nipped down to the lobbz of the hotel to use the internet.  she goes home on tuesdaz night and i didnt want to saz grrrr  saY anything to her before the scan but the scan is wednesdaz dont know what to dooooo!!!

???? ahh, there it is

love to all
M

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You do make me chuckle Megan  ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.