Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Hi girls,

Has anyone given up caffeine for tx? I am due to start tx in March ( once I get my immune results back ). I read an article on the internet suggesting that women should give up caffeine completely before and during tx. I am drinking about 4 small cups of tea a day.
I did ask Mr T about this and he said not to drink too much but he wasn't bothered either way. Has anyone given up caffeine?

Take Care
Audrey

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Hi Audrey,

I gave up caffeine for my last two tx cycles and it didn't seem to make any difference for dh or myself, in fact things took a drastic downturn. My first cycle, however, was the best and I drank loads of tea and coffee then. There seems to be a lot of info on the net saying don't drink tea and coffee, but I am yet to find any research which substantiates that advice. Mr T. actually grinned at us when he heard of how much we were doing last time to improve things...he said not to do anything drastic. I think basically, a little in moderation is the way to go without overdoing it. 

Love,
Crystal
xx

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Audrey - I didn't give up caffeine (or much else, to be honest!) - although I only probably have 1 cup of coffe or so per day (but I was drinking diet coke then too), as Crystal says Mr T. does tend to say don't do anything too drastic and change your life completely. I think do whatever you feel comfortable doing, i.e. don't do something you might regret, but also don't get carried away!
Good luck
Jane
XX

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi everyone

Just wanted some advice about NK tests.  I'm due to start an IVF cycle like tomorrow when I will have my day 2 blood tests done but I haven't had my NK test results yet  :-\

Apparently Mr Taranissi has them but is too busy to review them until the end of the week.  Will I still be able to start the cycle do you think?  I don't like to keep ringing the nurses - feel like I am nagging  :-[

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks so much.

Debbie

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Debbie,
Welcome! I think you will be able to start the cycle fine. If you need IVIG, steroids and/or heparin, you wouldn't start this until stimms anyway, so waiting until the end of the week for Mr. T. to review won't hurt.
Wishing you the best of luck
Jane
XX

PS - I'm waiting for him to review my notes too, so thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Janis

Thanks so much for your quick reply - what a relief!  I would hate to have to wait another month before starting! I feel like my whole life is a waiting game right now!

Can I just ask one more thing - when will I start the stimms if day 2 of my cycle is tomorrow?

Hope all is going well with you and your little ones - thanks again for your help!

Debbie

xxx

·
Registered
133 Posts
HI girls,

Audrey- I gave up caffeine and artificial sweeteners nearly 9 months ago after reading about their possible effects.  It wasn't that hard for me as I only was having about one large coffee a day. After about a month I didn't miss it at all.  I agree with what the girls have said however about drastically changing things.  I found giving up alcohol completely very stressful, so during dr and stimms had one glass of wine a night as a treat.  I then stopped completely after ET.
My advice would be if you can cut down easily, do.  And eat as healthily as you can, take good vitamins, but don't stress yourself out about it.  If a morning cup of tea keeps you sane, it's worth it. I think drinking loads of water counteracts some of its effects also.

Debbie- if you are on a short protocol, you'll start on day 3, but in that case Mr.T will I'm sure check your results before starting.  On the more usual long protocol you'll start around day 21 of your cycle.

love to all,
Soph x

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Thanks Debbie!
If you are on the 'long' protocol (usual for under-40's), then the stimms start (usually) about 5 or so days after your next period, which will come after downregging (sniffing) and a day 5, 6 or 7 scan to ensure you ovulated etc.
Good Luck!
Jane
XX

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Jane and sorry to keep bugging you!  I'm having the short or flare protocol (I think because I have polycystic ovaries) - does that make a difference?

Debbie
xxx

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi girls,

Debbie - the only thing I think that could pose a problem for you is if you have raised TNF levels and therefore need to take Humira (like myself and Nikki) then this needs to be done before tx commences.  Obviously I don't know what tests you have had done, so this might now even be an issue for you, and I may be making you worry unduly !  Apologies if that is the case.  I too am waiting on my results.  I've been on Humira for a month now and need to know if I need to take anymore !  It's a real pain not knowing.  Did the ARGC seem concerned that you were on Day 2 tomorrow and may not know your results ?

Love Tonga xxx

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Debbie - yes, I think the short protocol means sniffing and stimms together - so you may start tomorrow?! Ask them when you go in for bloods tomorrow about what Tonga has mentioned too...
XX

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hello

Jane - just a quick question - how many times does mr T suggest IVIG after a BFP?? I've just had my second lot (my first was day 3 after ET). Obviously it all depends on whether my HCG levels continue to rise but I just wondered cos I'll have to make plans re work commitments. Also did he test your NK cell levels during this time??

Audrey - I gave up caffeine cos I found it easy and don't miss it at all however found alcohol tough and only gave that up after ET 9only a samll glass a day before then though) I think anything in moderation is probably OK except smoking which apparently halves the egg yield.

Carmela I hope you are feeling well and aren't fretting too much after your wonderful news.

Flopsy i'm thinking of you and hope you and DH are hanging in there.

good luck to all of you starting cycles and to anyone who was having EC this morning I hope you get a bumper crop.

love

Marly

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hi Girls

Tonga ~ Have you had your results yet?  I've been phoning Julie & Jo today to work out what's going on.  I've got to carry on with the Humira - so I would imagine that whatever the outcome of your results, you'll be the same too.  I've been told that if I get a BFP, then I'll have to take it until a heartbeat is detected, so it's going to be until at least the end of the 2ww.  I suppose it kind of makes sense, as high TNFa levels could stop the embryo embedding - I assume that once a heartbeat is detected, the TNFa can't do any damage.  Oh yeh, but then it's the wicked NK cells that take over - is nothing ever easy!!  Goodness knows how much this will all cost - but hopefully, it'll be worth it.  I'd chase them if I were you.  I've phoned [email protected] as I don't want the hassle I had last time.  My prescription has been faxed over, so hopefully I should get the Humira delivered some time on Friday.

Debbie ~ Jane & Tonga are right.  I would phone ARGC, or if you're in tomorrow anyway, be sure to make your situation clear to them.  Unfortunately, Mr T is on his own at the moment.  I know it seem as though ARGC don't pay the right amount of attention pre-treatment, but I'm sure it is only because they focus so much on individuals when they are actually having treatment, that they can't do everything - does that make sense?

Audrey ~ I was going to continue as normal as possible.  I'll give up the old alcohol & I'll continue taking my folic acid & super-strength fish oils (which I assume are OK), but that's about it.  I think my biggest problem will be all of the water I'll have to drink, I'm not good at drinking non-alcohol fluids  ;D  and milk just makes me want to cringe!

Hi to all of the other ARGC girls - hope you're ok.

Well I'm all set for Saturday.  I've got to be at the Wellington at 10.30am, so not such an early start as I thought - phew!  I'm not allowed to eat or drink from 5.30am, so assume it's a light GA that I'm having and not sedation.  I also got my day 2 hormone profile results, FSH = 6.4, LH = 3.7, prolactin = 170, oestradiol = 89.  I assume that it's OK - I only know the FSH is OK 'cos I've read on here that it should be under 10.

I'll catch up later - bye for now.

Take Care
Love
Nikki
x
^wave^

·
Registered
119 Posts
Floppsy - I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you and your dh.

Wendy - many thanks for letting me know your experiences with aquanatel and yoga.  I'm really looking forward to starting now, especially the yoga.  Good luck with your labour.  You must be sooo excited, only a couple of weeks to go.

Audrey - I used to drink quite a lot of coffee each day (including a large latte as part of my milk intake!) but changed over to decaff once I got a BFP.  I've also cut down to drinking only 2 maybe three cups a day.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Marly,
I think the no. of IVIG's depends on the NK levels - I had 3 post-BFP, but Kim had about 8! He tests NK levels until quite late, I had my last one about 5 weeks ago (i.e. at 21 weeks), although I'm not quite sure why, 'cos they don't usually give IVIG this late? Hope your are feeling wonderful and your levels are increasing nicely....
Jane
xx

PS - I drink decaf coffee too, have done for about 2 years. (About 2 cups a day)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the info Jane - I'll look forward to spending even more money over the next couple of months then.

love

Marly

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Nikki,

No I haven't got my results yet !  :mad:  Bit p**d off to be honest !  I've rang a couple of times today to speak to Jo and she hasn't called me back.  My dh rang just now and Jo said that she should have the results back from Mr T by tomorrow lunchtime so she should call me in the morning.  If not I shall be on the phone at 1pm tomorrow !  Well, I might aswell go ahead and order the Humira I suppose ??!!  I have a prescription already (long story) so I'm thinking off popping into my local Pharmacy tonight and ordering it ??  What do you reckon?  
I find this waiting for results thing so annoying !  You pay enough for these tests !  When you know the results are sat on someones desk you just want to know what's going on !  Anyway rant over - I know Mr T is doing his best.

Excellent news on your FSH !  Are you on the Short Protocol ?  I know I will be !  If you are, you'll start stimming tomorrow won't you ?  How exciting !  I know my treatment won't be until at least next month as I have to have a Hysteroscopy yet which isn't even booked !

Ho hum .....

Love Tonga xxx

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jane, Tonga and Nikki

Thanks so much for your replies - Stephanie at the clinic didn't seem too concerned this morning when I said AF had started and when should I come in, she just said to come in tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed I won't have to wait another month but if I do, I'll just have to put up with it!

Just out of interest Tonga, what does TNF mean?

Also, it might sound like an odd question but has anyone ever been told their NK levels were too low?  I guess you would know if they were because you would be ill.  I'm probably being paranoid - if I can find the slightest thing to worry about in any situation, I will!

Thanks again everyone and good luck to you all.

Love

Debbie
xxx

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hi Tonga

It is bloomin frustrating.  I don't think I would have known about my results, had I not had a conversation with Julie about whether I can go ahead with my hysteroscopy on Saturday.  She took my notes into Mr T in between consultations and got him to make a decision there and then.

I don't know what to suggest about the Humira - I remember now, you got 2 prescriptions 'cos one didn't turn up in the post (but then it did - or something like that, wasn't it?)  It's a lot of money to spend if you don't need it.  Your results could be so low that you don't need to take any more.  I've worked out that I need another 2 syringes after the 2 I've just ordered (as long as ARGC don't change their mind!)  I'm sure you'd be able to sell it somehow if you didn't need it.  It's whether you want the hassle.  Might be worth giving Healthcare @ Home a call - they might take the drug back if you don't need it - mind you, it is a refrigerated drug, so not sure.  Their number is 0870 366 4640.  They charge £889.23 for 2 syringes delivered next day if you get the prescription to them by lunchtime.

I'm going to be on long protocol, so should DR around 26th Feb if all is OK at the weekend.  You never know, as you're on short protocol, we might end up having EC, ET & 2ww around the same time.

Hope you get your results sorted hun.

Debbie ~ sorry for butting in, but TNF stands for Tumour Necrosis Factor.  It's your bodies natural chemotherapy and kills cancers within your body.  Unfortunately, if your levels of TNFa (a = alpha) are too high, when you have embryo transfer, it will stop the embryo embedding because it sees it as a cancer trying to attach to your body.  Hope I've explained it right.

Take Care
Love
Nikki
x
^wave^

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.