Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi girls,

Just to let you know I have spoken with Emmi today.  She has been at hospital most of the day today, but is now booked in to be induced next Weds at 8am.  She is feeling very nervous but excited at the same time.

Good luck Emmi !!

Hope you're all doing OK.

Love Tonga xxx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Girls,
My names Josie,i'm new to this forum and hope it's ok to post here as i'm having treatment at ARGC.I'm 40,dp 43.I have a 19 year old son from a previous relationship.I've always wanted another child since my son was 3 but it never happened.My ex and i had tests and i was told that there was nothing wrong(although back then i did'nt have a laparocopy)i was just put on the waiting list for ivf,however my ex and i broke up a few times(just before i was due for ivf).Ive been with my new dp for 4 years now,he has no children and we would love one together.For 15 years i was wondering what was wrong with me and it's been awful.I now know i have a blocked tube with hydrosalpinx,I'm not too sure how good my other tube is either.
We tried icsi at the Homerton Hospital which failed in April.We decided that we'd try one more time at the ARGC as there success rates are so good.When i had my 1st scan there Mr T noticed my hydrosalpinx right away and said'we'll have to do something about that'.Hydrosalpinx is a toxic fluid in my tube that can kill embryos.When he said this i was relieved and felt i was in the right place as my old clinic didnt even mention my hydro and i feel our treatment there could have been a waste of time and money.
I was really worried about my tube and felt that i wanted it removed but Mr T says he will drain it and that i will be having regular scans as the hydro can come back.
I have just had a hysteroscopy at the Wellington Hospital,which went well and now i've got to phone up ARGC when on day one of period,then go in for blood test and we can start treatment from then eeek.I think it'll be Monday or Tuesday next week.
I'm still worried about my hydro and hope it doesnt ruin our chances of our tx working.I've been up worrying about it at night quite a lot.If this one doesnt work that will be it for us i think due to funds and my age so i'm hoping and praying.
I just wanted to introduce myself and say good luck to everyone and if anyone has the same sort of problem as me i would be so grateful for any advice.
Thankyou for listening.Josie.xxx 

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Hi girls,

Just checking in to say I am thinking of you all travelling to London with all that is going on...as if you all don't have enough to worry about. Hope you are all managing to stay safe  :)

Beachbabe - Really sorry to hear your news, I can't imagine how devastated you both must be. Hope you will be able to remain strong and see this through the best way possible. Sending you lots of hugs  ^Cuddle^

Georgia - Great tan hun! you look positively glowing with an orange aura around you...must be a good sign  ;)

Love to all,
Crystal
xxxxx

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi JO40

You are deifntiely in the right place being at the ARGC, I too have just started with them and am having my first monitored cycle, my DH has had a vasectomy and 2 failed reversals so we are going to be having ICSI, and he has already had his PESA, so all the fish are in the freezer so to speak.

However, you may be interested to know that loads of girls rave about having accupuncture whilst going thru treatment, espeically with a guy called Daniel Elliott who has a practise just round the corner from the ARGC. I rang him for the first time this week, so arrange an appt, and he said for the last 16 ARGC girls that he has treated they all had BFP's so I thought I'd give it a go. DOn't know what you think to the idea, byt it may well be worth trying and he's not that expensive £60 for the first consultation then 45 thereafter, he does have other clinincs too have a look at www.londonaccupuncture.co.uk  

Anyway best of luck with your treatement, I truly hope you have success, and you will no doubt find this website a godsend. You may even want to do a search on your particular condition to see if there are any other posts on the site that may give you more information.

Good luck to all of the other ARGC girls.
Janna :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Morning ladies.

I hope you are all feeling good today. I'm so glad it's friday, with the horrible journey to and from work at the momenmt and then food poisoning on top of that, I am totally bushed. I have no energy at all, so need the weekend to sleep lots!!

Laylar - I hope your progesterone test goes well today and that you have a chance to ask all of your questions. Because I'm as new to this as you are, I've no idea how the clinic works really, but perhaps one of the nurses can help you. Anyway, I hope it all goes ok today.
I'd be interested to know what your progesterone leves are though, mine have always been fairly low. The last one was 54 on day 15 ( I ovulated early this month). But Mr T seemed happy enough with this, presumably because they can supplement it if necessary. It does worry me - anyone else with low progesterone get a bfp?

I also have another question, sorry in advance for this, I think Laylar and I are going to be like quiz masters over the next few months. Do you have to buy your drugs at the ARGC, or do they give you a prescription so that you can purchase elsewhere. I'm just thinking about costs and trying to keep them down.

JO40, I'm new to all of this so can't really help with your questions, but I've found this forum a godsend and I'm sure you will too.
Good luck.

all the girls on the 2ww - I hope you are doing ok and staying strong and positive. Thinking of you all.

Hi to everyone else.

Love,
Lisa.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hello Girls

JO40 - welcome.  Sorry I cant help on the blocked tube things - our problems are DH's swimmers are totally lazy bu**ers.  But I am sure there will be someone who can help you, and this board generally is a great source of support.

Lisa - on the drugs thing, I did some price comparisons early on.  On downreg drugs, I got my first lot from ARGC (injecting, not sniffing) and it was £70.  So then I enquired at my local hospital and paid £18 for the same thing!!!!!!!!!! However, on stimms drugs, the ARGC were in-line with my local hospital so I got my first presrciption from local hospital but after that I went with the ARGC as they changed my drugs frequently and it was easier (and no-more expensive).  So I would ask for a prescription for the down reg drugs, and then buy stimms from ARCG. Hope that helps  :)

Laylar - I always worried about asking the girls stuff anytime as they always seemed so short and busy.  But actually when you do ask they are really helpful.  So ask away - you are paying after all  :). On the start day, I think you can start later than day 21 depending on when you ovulate, but it is always roughly day 21 (maybe day 22/23). On the hysteroscopy, I had one before starting and I think a lot of people do.  Mr T likes to do it to understand your womb and so know the best place to put the embies back in.  Also, cleaing out the womb prior to treatment has a proven increase in success rates.  So I would imagine he will recommend it although he doesnt for everyone.

Joanna - hope you are holding up hun, only a few more days!

Claire and Julie - you too!

Love Tinaxx

·
Registered
248 Posts
Layla - If you have questions then you might find it better to ask the nurses if you can come back late morning or early afternoon to talk to one of them when its quieter - remember though that everyones treatment is slightly different so there may not be answers to all your questions til you start Tx. I know it sounds weird but it really is worth being a little bit passive at the early stages until you get into tx just because the endless possibilities at the start often cause more stress. Also - many of the girls here may be able to help with your questions cos between us we've probably encountered most situations.
Downregging for the long protocol starts around day 21 - I think i started on day 22.

Josie - I hope your dream comes true this time - I've never had any experience with your particular problem but you are definitely in the right place.

Lisa - you can buy cyclogest, merional, gonalF and other hormone drugs at the ARGC - the only problem with getting prescriptions for elsewhere with these is that the doses and drugs often change from day to day during stimms so unless you can get hold of the drugs quite quickly it can be difficult. However don't feel you have to buy loads at once cos you may not need it - I've still got an unopened gonal-F in my fridge which cost £250 and is going out of date - they won't buy drugs back from you.

All the other drugs eg clexane, steriods etc they give you prescriptions and it is worth asking around which chemists are cheap - or even asking your GP if he will prescribe them.

Tina - I think we are all a bit mad (but in a really nice way) - I think that having gone through what you have will have made you incredible strong (even though you probably don't feel it) and when your dream comes true you will really appreciate it all the more. I suspect you don't hear many ladies on here moaning about the symptoms of pregnancy as we relish all of them good and bad.

Claire - hang in there one more day to go - i could never resist the HPTs as I felt it would soften the blow if it was a BFN - but remember with all the water your pee will be very dilute (I had 2 negative HPTs before my BFP)

Emma and DH - many congratulations on Alexandra Mae

Love to everyone else

Marly

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
does anyone have a number for daniel (accupuncture) pls? i can't log onto the website.
thanks
eva

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Eva

Here you go:

126 Harley Street 0207 935 2030
Chiswick 0208 741 3404
Ealing 0208 566 2223
Windsor 01753 833299

Hope everyone else is ok, weekend today hooray!

Alli xx

·
Registered
331 Posts
Laylar, I'm so glad you feel a bit more relaxed about the whole process at the moment and that you had a chance to have your questions answered. It must be a bit of a relief.
Good luck if you start sniffing tomorrow. If you do, I'll be two weeks behind you and you will be the expert, prepare for the questions!!!
Thanks for the info about progesterone, none of the docs I have seen have ever seemed concerned about it, but I've always suspected it could be a problem for me.
How do you feel about your immune results?

Do you get the screening results back on the same day? We haven't had that done yet, they said we could get this done when we go in to collect the down regging drugs?? Of course I'm just pressuming everything will be clear, but you never know I suppose. Oh no, something else to worry about.

Tina and Marly - thank you for your invaluable info about the drugs and costs, I know my gp isn't prepared to prescribe anything for me, but at least I can try and source the dr drugs somewhere a little cheaper.

Off for lunch now, but where's the sunshine gone?

Lisa.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Lisa

Just to let you know I got the DR drugs from the local hospital - just took my prescription in. They invoiced me about a month later!  I know Nikki also got her humiera from the same local hospital.  So its worth ringing them and seeing if they will fulfil external prescriptions.

Also, I thought it was worth letting you know that my GP will do screening tests (Hep and HIV) for me for nothing - I know they are quite expensive at the ARGC.  He is not able to help in any other way (IVF waiting list here in Dorset is 3 years, and the PCT will not fund drugs for private patients - so his hands are tied). But it does save us, especially as you have to have them done every year (in my case, now 3rd time of having them done!)

Hope this helps!

Love Tinaxx

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello girls

I've been reading this thread and I wonder if anybody can give me some advice.  My dh and I will have our first consultation at the ARGC in August and I'm really nervous.  I've had two pregancies but sadly neither went to term.  My hormones are just about OK and dh's sperm is fine.  Does Mr T actually recommend what treatment he thinks is best?  I'm frightened that he'll say IVF and not IUI because of my age (nearly 39) and I don't know if I can take that step.  I've heard so much about Mr T that it's making me a little worried. 

Any thoughts would be really welcome.

all luck to you

Anon

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks Tina, but my doctor refused to do our hiv and hep b. I did think about seeing one of the other doctors at the practice to see if they'd do it. I might still do that actually as it is expensive at the argc. I'll definately check at my local hospital re the prescriptions as well.

Anon, I'm really sorry to hear about your lost pregnancies, I can only imagine what you have been through. I've only just started at the argc, so I'm not in a great situation to advise,but I know they tailor treatment to the individual. Mr T would definately only recommend what he thinks is best for YOU. It is really scary, but I'm sure if anyone can help you, he can. I've just taken that leap of faith myself and it's not easy, but all of the positve stories and fantastic support from the girls here really helped me and I'm sure will help you too.
Good Luck.

Lisa.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi Laylar, if it's any consolation, my friend had anticardiolipin antibodies, only discovered after 3 miscarriages. She's now at the farthest point she's ever been with a pregnancy since being treated with heparin and asprin. So fingers crossed that adressing these abnormalities ( for want of a better word) will be the answer for you. I hope so.

the costs are mad aren't they, I try not to think about it when I hand the card over for payment.

Good luck with the results, let us know how you get on,
Lisa.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi girls

Firstly congratulations to Emma and DH on their new daughter!!!!

Good luck Emmi, it is so exciting to hear about new arrivals on their way, it reminds you what this is all in aid of!  

Anon, sorry to hear about your miscarriages.  Don't worry, many of the girls that have had IUI have been in their late 30s early 40s so age is not a factor.  I would mention that you are unsure about IVF at your consultation.  However, if it will give you a much better chance of success then they will strongly recommend it.  I am not one of the immune issues patients so can't tell you what will happen on that side of things but would say that the first consultation does boost your confidence as you feel like you are in really safe hands.  When you have had your consultation then post again with any questions/concerns.  

Lisa, there is a forum on the IVF thread about cheap drugs.  They are all by post so easy to get.  I think what you can and can't get from your GP depends on the GP. In East London the GPs have not even been told how long the wait is so it is fair to say it will be a long old time but you can get initial investigations and blood tests for HIV/HEP. As you say, ask another GP in the practice as some of them are more flexible than others.  If not, not pleasant I know but your local GUM clinic is walk in and will do both for free. Although they may insist on doing all the other lovely tests they offer!

Tina, sounds like you are finding it a bit weird not being so actively monitored.  Although the daily trips are a nightmare at least it gives you some involvement in tx.  Fingers crossed that you can fill as many of your new bedrooms with children as you want.  

Layla, good luck with starting.  My first time sniffing was nothing like I expected.  I felt completely normal, just slightly more stroppy.  However, that may have been the stress of tx for the first time rather than the effects of the drugs!

Hi Josie, I don't know anything about your issue but I am sure that it is nothing that the ARGC can't sort out.  I will hopefully be starting a similar time to you.

Joanna, Claire & Julie, hope you are coping OK.

Enjoy the weekend girls!!!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Layla - I can completely understand you being a little sceptical after all you've been through - I think the immune stuff does require a little bit of faith as it is early days in our understanding of the immune reasons for infertility. All i can say is there are loads of us here who have had successful Tx as a result and some like Carmela where it really seems that immune factors were the main problem. (Hope you don't mind me saying that Carmela but your wonderful story is such a good example)

Anon - after your losses it must be so difficult to trust anyone or to believe you will ever be lucky. Mr T will do all the tests and then give you his opinion on the treatments that he recommends - He does use IVF/ICSI a lot because all other things being equal the success rates are a lot higher than IUI. However if he thinks IUI is worth doing he will recommend it. Once you hace had all the screening/hormone tests and immune tests he'll make a descision.

Good luck to both of you

love

Marly

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi girls

tick tock tick tock, every time i think of Sunday, my heart crashes into my stomach........... feel soooooooooo sick with dread.  I have decided against hpt on Saturday now but instead going to do one on Sun morning before blood test as I cannot bear to wait around all day.. last time they rang me at 6.45 pm only coz I left them a message, obviously they were putting off the bad news!

Had a few AF pains in the last few days - this part has got to be worst than any other part of tx arrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  Julie - are you doing an hpt on Sat?  hope you are coping ok - and Joanna- any sneaky tests on Sun? how are you holding up? becomes impossible not to think about it every 5 mins!

Hope everyone is ok - Can't post much as I just can't concentrate!  if I get a BFN - how do i stop the feelings of it's never going to work and there must be something else really wrong????????? - can you feel the panic!!

Love and luck to everyone else

Claire xxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hiya all

Claire babe stay  ^reiki^ and start chanting the 2ww chant.I'm wishing you all the best for Sunday  :-* :-*

Well only a quickie as of to buy some paint but I had to tell you all this.

I just rang Argc to ask what bloods I needed to repeat (hep b and all that) and just said
" Hi I need to get my bloods done and need to know what ones "
Renee says " Hi Georgia is that you "
OMG THEY KNOW MY VOICE !!!
Thought it quite funny actually

Anyway will pop back later

Love to all

Georgia
xxx

·
Registered
331 Posts
Claire you poor thing.
Sending you lots of positive thoughts. Everything crossed for you Joanna and Julie that it's going to be great news all round.

Lol, I'm going to check out that thread on the ivf board - thanks.

Laylar, Hope you don't have to wait too much longer.

Lisa.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.