Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Would appreciate any advice in regards to drugs at ARGC. We were hoping to get our drugs on the Drug Payment Scheme in Ireland however neither Fostimon or Merional are available. Has anyone had any luck finding them in Ireland?  Should we just bite the bullet and buy them over or is there a suitable alternative.  When we asked the lady at ARGC she suggested some patients had used Puregon and Menopur (however she recommended going with Fostimon and Merional).  Just wanted to be sure whether these suggested alternatives were actually 'acceptable'.

many thanks for your help,

Aburgess

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dear Aburgess
I bought the Fostimon(cant remember the alternative in Ireland) as I had heard it is excellent,every time I injected it I could physically feel my ovarives grow. It is mega expensive £960 for the first batch they sell you,now i didnt use it all and could return it and gt refund but I know some people who have used more than the first batch. But they too wouldnt have done it any other way as they had an excellent result from the Fostimon.
The equivalent to Merional in Ireland is menopur. I brought this over with me and any other left over meds from previous cycles. I used tons of clexane, aspirin is available over the counter in London,I brought gestone and if you have any steroids left over bring them too.
thats all I can think of at the mo, ask any questions
Flo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I got mine on the DPS here. The alternative to fostimon is bravelle and merionol is menopur.  The pharmacist said they were the same and AR*G were happy with it.  I had the prescription rewritten by consultant here and pharmacist wrote letter for security in airport as I brought them in hand luggage.
Best of luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi there,

I bought Fostimon from ARGC and used Menopur (for Merinol) from DPS.

There's no direct equivilant to Fostimon on the DPS scheme. Puregon & Gonal F is the nearest but it's synthetically produced FSH (Fostimon is natural FSH) and Bravelle contains natural FSH but also 2% LH. I'm PCO so already had raised LH levels so didn't want to risk Bravelle and most of the time, during my cycle, I was only on Fostimon (typical! :) ).

Blinking expensive though buying the meds - we're lucky with our DPS scheme.

Best of luck, Sarah

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice.  Think we're going to go with Menopur on DPS and pick up Fostimon in London.

Aburgess

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again,

Just a quick question to Somerset. As I've said above we are thinking of doing what you did. Did you tell the ARGC that you were using Menopur instead of Merional and were they ok with this?  Is it just different manufacturers?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just all so expensive that we don't want to make too many mistakes.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses,

aburgess

·
Registered
71 Posts
No worries at all. ARGC were fine with the Menopur. It's exactly the same ingredients just different brand name. It's a mix of FSH and LH.
The best of luck S x

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi ladies,

Sorry to jump on here but just wondering if you could still use the DPS even if you've had previous cycles? I thought there was a limit of 3 on IVF cycles that they will cover? I have just completed 3 cycles so figured that was it for me. Hopefully I am wrong.

Am thinking of changing to ARGC after 3 failed cycles at another clinic in Scotland.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Lil75
there was lots of talk of only allowing meds for 3 cycles but it never came in. I bet you have lots left over from previous cycles anyway?
HTH
Flo

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thats great new Flo. Yippee

Yeah I could start my own pharmacy, I have so many drugs left over. Hopefully they will be of use to me in my next cycle. Currently trying to figure out the logistics of travelling to ARGC from Ireland. I'm in Donegal so not sure how I will manage to get bloods and scans done as I have nowhere local to do them. Also my consultant recommended the current clinic I'm with and I had planned to self refer to ARGC but if I do that, I won't have a consultant available to write the presecriptions for me and so won't qualify for DPS. Ahhhhhhh, my head is all over the place!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts