Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you can make payments at argc. Can you pay by cash? Or do you always have to pay by credit card? Also, when you send of for your first appointment, do you send your copies of notes and blood test results with the application form? We are not sure what to do incase they get lost in the post. Has anyone else had chem pregnancies that have been resolved by the argc? At the moment im feeling low and thinking I will never find out what the problem is.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Elizabeta
They don't take cash or American Express! When we sent off our initial consultation form, we wrote 'documents to follow' on it (purely because we didn't have them to hand) and that seemed to be OK. Bear in mind that it would be helpful for the clinic to see your papers in advance so they have time to digest it before they see you. You could always send photocopies by recorded delivery, if you were concerned about losing originals/privacy???
Hope this helps
J

·
Registered
402 Posts
Up to you - I don't know how confident I'd be walking around London with (potentially) thousands of pounds on me, but everyone's different. I paid with mine on my debit card.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I think the decision not to take cash is a sound one - a lot of companies don't take cash as they don't know where it's come from.  Handling large amounts of cash from your's/their perspective is also quite risky!

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
Its personal choice hun, ARGC are excellent and have had the best stats in the UK for 15 years at 64% for under 35s and think its a silly reason not to go there  ::)

Good luck
Emmaxxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya - The ARGc are v good Elizabeta but if thgis is how you will decide then The Lister are also fab - I am there too - but I'd just double check that they take cash as well - I've always used AMEX there....
Which ever one you go to I'd thoroughly recommend posting your notes as early as poss by recorded delivery if needs be - I also summarised mine into a table (his and hers ;D ;D::) :eek: which was so much easier during the consultations and meant we had more time discussing options and less time looking for results ;)

xxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
;D ;D ;D ;D my sotry is too long to go through but the good news is after a lot of BFNs elsewhere, although not preggers (yet!) at The Lister, I have had two chemicals on the trot ;).....I finn them so lovely and willing to really push the boat out.....As for the notes, yes send them off ASAP with a note mentioning you are a new patient and what the date for your consult is etc. The tables I did were just all the info on me ie blood results, protocols and how it all went ie no of days stimming, no of eggs, no of embies and quality etc etc and then one for DH - ie a history of all the sperm parameters :eek: ;) - as much as poss will help them :)

Good luck

xxx

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi, I've had 2 chemical pregs at the ARGC and they are recommending that I have genetic karyotyping done before I try another cycle.  I can only reiterate what the others have said about the ARGc being fab, but I wish you best of luck at Lister.
K

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi girls,

Sorry to butt in but i thought it a bit strange as we paid ARGC £3000 in cash and they accepted no problem???  This was only a few weeks ago!!!

Maybe they have change their policy???

Vicky xxxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep and heparin....

Honestly I would not take any notice of one receptionist - I have been to both and you can get an off perosn on an off day everywhere! I'd go for consult at both - then decide?

xxx

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hi Elizabeta

You are dismissing the best clinic in the country on the basis of your conversations with one receptionist.

You need to see past that.  As Lukey says at least go for a consult and decide based on what happens there.  I can only re-iterate what others have said.  It's a great clinic, they will deal with your clotting issues and anything else that they can find and they will do their damndest to get you what you want - a baby.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sorry you feel like the Elizabeta. I can only speak from personal experience and have to say that ARGC have been excellent and have always responded quickly to any questions no matter what day of the week (so many clinics don't work Saturdays or Sundays!)
I do hope that Lister help you achieve your dream but for any other potential newbies out there please don't think that Elizabeta's experience is the norm at ARGC. They are a very busy clinic and there is always a lot going on there but they do have fab results and for many of us they really are a last resort. They are kind and helpful and so please don't be put off.
I would always advice anyone to at least have a consultation before making up their mind. See for yourself what the place and people are like (emails and phones so often don't do people justice) and may all of you no matter where you go get your dreams answered.
I'm not getting into any argument over experiences or personal feelings I just want to make sure that people get both sides of the story.
Good luck to all.
Minow x

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well said Minnow.  I completely agree.
K

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really want to use the ARGC because of their results but I have also found their admin staff really disorganised as well.  I had my first consultation there last week with Dr Sharif.  He made me cry by launching into the fact I need to have IVF two minutes after we walked in the door.  We just wanted to talk options...I've had two miscarriages and have been trying for 6 months since the last one.  As I'm 38 he said there was no time to lose and that we should go for IVF asap.  He told me a whole series of tests we needed and I expected the Clinic to write to me to confirm these but they haven't.  I called to ask the admin team to confirm what tests we needed, they said it is not standard practice for them to do this and they said they would call back in the afternoon to confirmthe tests I needed...that was 3 days ago.  It also took them two weeks to reply to an email I sent before  my first consultation.  It doesn't inspire me with conifdence!

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
BBH  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ sometimes you have to call again as they see 1000's of women a day  ::) i know its no excuse but they are all fantastic and Sherif happens to be my fave Dr  ;) ;D I dont think he meant to upset you, at 38 you dont have much time as you know from 35 onwards our fertility quality of eggs arent as great as they were so there just trying to help you get the best out of your body  :-*

I have had m/c's etc too and thanks to the ARGC am now pg and the furthest i have got with any pregnancy before  :-* i think that outways the admin team tbh  :-\ there all lovely there and are so helpful, give them a call and ask for Sherif to call you back  :-*

The tests are immune tests etc which they send to Chicago for testing (can be a reason for your m/c;s) it was for mine  :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you so much Emma.  :)  That was the first time I had written anything on this forum, I just registered today.  It was lovely to get such a quick and reassuring message.  Despite our concerns, we do have a plan to go for IVF at ARGC in August.  Dr Sherif said that I should come in early in my next cycle (prob next week) for some blood tests and I think that probably was the NK cells one.  I think I had gone into the appointment a little too optimistic as I had just had my LSH/FH hormone tests back and they were pretty amazing...Dr S said they were too good to be true and that my oestrogen was bound to be high.  I have that one back now and that is also good.  So may be it will be the killer cells that are the problem. I have had all the usual miscarriage tests and they were also ok.  Anyway, I hadn't know that IVF was a solution for miscarriages until the appointment but he explained that they can pick the better eggs.  It's good to know that there's something else that can be tried rather than this long wait to get pregnant naturally, not knowing if I will be able to keep it when it does arrive.  Congratulations to you, what wonderful news.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you.  That's really helpful.  :)  Can I ask...  Dr Sherif said that as a 38/39 year old I had a 35-45% chance of success per cycle at ARGC.  Do you know if that is to actually have a baby or to get a positive pregnancy test?  Obviously I'm keen to know because of my age and miscarriages. 

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
Well Said Potty one  :-* old head on young shoulders  ::) ;D

BBH-Feel free to post on one of the ARGC threads, probably the newbies and potentials will be a good place to start as they are ladies who are waiting to start or going through tx, but we jump on any threads really  :-*

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you.  Will do.  :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good luck BBH.  They really are great - I still haven't managed to get lucky there, but haven't a negative word to say about them.  i had my follow up with Sherif last week and he took the time to talk me through me recent experience, answered all my questions, suggested tests (but said I could get them done at my GP - so no ripping off going on!)and talked me through PGD in a very honest way.  He was very professional with my 'silly questions'.  I also want to speak in defense of the receptionists.  In my experience, they are very busy and often trying to deal with several queries at once, but once you have started to build a relationship with them, they are all lovely and ever so helpful. They even greet you by name after a while.  The nurses are all lovely too.  It's not the smartest clinic in London by any stretch but if you get your baby - you'll think they are the best too.
Kx

1 - 20 of 33 Posts