Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Array CGH at Care Nottingham

11K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  icsipgd 
#1 ·
Hi Girls
Im 43 and had 3 mc this year following natural conceptions - just had recurrent mc tests and no clotting issues etc. Consultant does not believe in Immune issues so just pondering whether to go down this route as it is probably my eggs!

CGH has been recommended and I know nothing about it - can anyone help?
Also how long is wait for Donor egg at CARE - as need to consider this option also
do they do immune testing?
Many thanks
Burnley
xx

#2 ·
Hi Burnley,

I had had 3 cycles of treatment with Dr Sher in the US who pioneered the CGH testing and who did the trials with Care.

We have got one frozen "competent" embryo waiting for us.

I have been looking with interest at what Care is offering, as it is one step ahead of what they are offering in the US,  the array CGH isnt available there yet,  they dont think it is totally ready.

Care sent me their stuff and it is very expensive,  the testing alone is nearly £3000, but i think its probably cheaper than the US when you add travel etc.

Anyway... the CGH testing is good when your older (Im 38) and had miscarriages (3)as you know that at least what you are putting back is 80% likely to be chromosomely normal.  doesnt guarantee it though!  Also means if you are going to expense of ivig or other immune treatment you know if you have a good one.

It did take us 3 cycles, over 20 embryos, 6 blasts to get one that tested ok,  but a girl i am in touch with who had 6 earlier tries at ARCG is now 20+ weeks pregnant with twins.

Good luck

k

#3 ·
Has anyone information on Array CGH at Nottingham CARE?

I've sadly had my first IVF cycle and it was negative. We had our treatment in Norway, which was a brilliant clinic, however as I am 40, my consultant suggested that despite producing Grade A embryos, I got a BFN due to my age. According to CARE, the most common reason why IVF doesn't work is chromosomal abnormality – up to half of eggs in younger women, and up to 75% in women approaching 40 are chromosomally abnormal ( hence this is why maybe I got a BFN as all other factors for DH and I looked really positive) Nottingham CARE now test eggs and embryos to evaluate all their chromosomes in an IVF cycle, thus enabling the selection of the most viable embryos.

DH and I need to make a decision ASAP as to whether we go back to Norway or go the CARE and have the Array CGH test.

Has anyone any further information?

Many thanks.

Best wishes and positive vibes. ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Beth x

#4 ·
Hi Beth

I am just about to go through an array CGH cycle but more as a last resort than anything else. As you can see from my signature I have had MANY cycles fresh and frozen. Only 2 of those have resulted in a pregnancy. The most recent one was a twin pregnancy where unfortunately miscarried both my babies a few weeks apart.

Array CGH is a relatively new procedure at CARE and at present they tell me they have only had 5 clinical pregnancies....not a partcularly high result is it!  They wouldn't tell me how many cycles they had done but I think it was a lot more than 5!

Array CGH will either mean that I have a healthy embryo(s) to have put back for my 2ww and if a subsequent pregnancy occurs hopefully I will be more optimistic about a positive outcome. Of course there is still a chance that even a chromosomally normal fetus will miscarry and even a chromasomally normal embryo may not implant as there are other factors involved in getting pregnant.

OR

Array CGH will show that I have no normal embryos in which case we won't even get to the 2ww and we will have spent over £7000 just to show that I need to move on to donor eggs.

Not much help am I  ???

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Lisa

#5 ·
hello,
hope you don't mind me popping onto your board - am a cornwall member but have just had initial consultation with CARE in Notts so was interested in what both of you posted as I too am 40 and yes we too have had many attempts 2 of which resulted in misc.  We have just had blood taken for tests so only just on beginning of journey but have to say compared to experiences so far they seem very good but as Lisa says is going to cost a fare bit and is always that addage that still no guarantee!!
We choose CARE for CGH array but what the underline does seem to be that it is very much for those that produce lots of eggs that may not be of the best quality, if you don't produce a lot then may not use as an option as you could loose embryos in the process and have nothing to go back. So we have a way to go before we can decide course of action and yes they too suggested to us to consider egg donation.
J

#6 ·
Hi Ladies, I am also interested in the array cgh testing as I have been through numerous treatments which have all failed. Never had a bfp!!! I too make v good blasts apparently but have never had them tested. I just worrythat its a bit new over here and they cant be used for a fresh cycle can they? Also isn't there a risk of damage during the test? Excuse my lack of knowledge!!!
I am curently with Dr Gorgy in London and I find him excellent. He sorted all my immune issues out but still bfn!!! There isn't a clinic in London offering cgh which is very odd!!!!!! I am also considering SIRM in USA and put them all back!! God I hate this journey.

#7 ·
Hi
I have had 7 miscarriages so thought this procedure would be worth exploring. However the most amount of eggs I have managed to produce was 6, from this we had 4 embies. Would this be too small a number to do CGH with?
I am being treated for immunes so hoping this will do the trick this cycle
Anna x

#8 ·
Just bookmarking as have an apt with George @ Care in March. You will see from my signature that we have had a long journey with 7 m/c's & now feel our next options are CGH. We gave a follow up with Mr Taranissi @ ARGC our current clinic next wk and then Care apt & then make our decision on the next steps!

Good luck to all.

Jennie
X

#9 ·
Hi,

I've only just started reading up about CGH and am wondering the same thing as sobroody1 - we've only ever got 3 embies maximum, would this be too small an amout to do testing on? I think it was JabinC that said that some embies might be lost through CGH testing - just wondering..... how can they be lost, does anyone know?

#10 ·
Hi

I am just beginning a CGH cycle so hope to be able to give you more information about it as I go through it.

As far as I know they would still test if you have 3 embryos. There is a 0.2% chance of damage to the egg during the proceedure.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

#12 ·
Hiya sobroody1

I've had level 1 tests done which showed I have the MFTHR gene mutation but we decided to not have the Level 2 tests done because with the cost of Array CGH it would have bankrupted us!

Care are very cagey about their success rates which is very annoying but I guess with it still being so new they don't want people to be put off. They did tell me they have had 5 clinical pregnancies but I don't know out of how may treatment cycles that was or whether they resulted in live births. I guess some of the those pregnancies could still be ongoing so they haven't got the data yet.

Lisa

#13 ·
Hi there,

I am new to this forum infact it is my first time on any forum so you will have to bear with me on my total lack of knowledge reagrding abbreviations etc.
Iwould be really interested in any information regarding Array CGH at Nottingham Care. I am living in Ireland and have had a number of unsuccessful treatments here.
I would be grateful for any advice information.
Katiebells

#14 ·
#17 ·
HI, Im doing this in the next month or so, have had a failed ivf and pgd. We arent doing it with Care but another clinic in London and will be one of the first cases. My dh had a balanced translocation and this is why we are doing this.
Hope to read a few more array cgh experiences!

#18 ·
Hi Ladies
Was interested in reading your thread.  We too are going through Care in Notting for Array CGH.  On day 2 of stimming now so EC some time towards the end of next week.
We have had 2 fresh ICSI cycles and 2 frozen all with BFNs.  The last fresh cycle was back in November 2006 and we went to blastocyst stage.  DH has low sperm count and motility and I have been treated for mild endometriosis.  We had 16 eggs and 11 embryos for our last treatment but on day 5 only 1 was relatively ok and the others were not.  still had two transferred but all of the others died the following day and so deep down I think we knew it hadn't worked. 

Its taken us 3 years to decide to have treatment again and am very scared for all the reasons expressed in this thread so far.  Cannot bear the thought of having Array CGH and having nothing to transfer back but then again I would rather know instead of pouring more emotion and money into this with false hope.  Care have been brilliant so far although we are based in Jersey and so only had one meeting with George Ndukwe and a telephone conversation but had lots of calls with his team and can't fault them at this point.  So will keep you posted as to how it goes.  Keep positive ladies

Chubachops  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

#19 ·
Hi there,

Oh it is great to actually hear from someone who is going through the process. We have our first appointment on the 29th of April to meet with George. I am so nervous even thinking about it I just want answers to say what is wrong. I know your ahead in the process but I would love to stay in touch. I really hope this is your time.

Kate

#20 ·
Hi Katiebells - Thanks! 

Yes will keep you informed and have written a diary if that helps (members treatment diaries/icsi diaries). 

Have to say was feeling quite negative about the whole thing earlier today as we watched the programme "Having a baby to save my child" last night (we'd taped it from earlier in the week) and the treatments (PGD) were through Care Nottingham and a couple had 4 failed attempts.  We felt quite upset after watching it.  The couple were so lovely and just wanted to save their little boy and after all of their efforts in IVF mother nature did not give them a pregnancy.  So sad... 
Oh please please please let this work!!! 

Good luck with your appts in April and let me know how it goes.  George is really lovely to speak with - very personable and I hope he makes your dreams come true! 

Take care of yourself and keep positive  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

#21 ·
Hi Chubachops,

Oh I didn't see that thank god, I would still be crying.

Hope you are feeling good this week and doing your best to keep positive. Your great keeping a diary, I probably will regret not doing that, my coping method at the moment is repress everything!!!!!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, the good news is anyone that I have come in contact with over the course of this difficult time have all got pregnant so hopefully this time will be yours and then mine.

Thinking of you and best wishes
Katiebells

#22 ·
Hi Katiebells

All going ok so far and Care have been really good!  George is really lovely.  Only thing different to what we had anticipated is that we are not going to have array cgh - which we are taking as a bonus because George doesn';t think we'll need it.  He thinks we are doing enough with hopefully getting to blastocyst and all the additional immunology drugs and stuff I have been taking.  So fingers crossed that you;re right and its our time (ours and yours!!). 

Will keep in touch.
Chuba  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

#23 ·
Hi Chubba,
Hope you are having a good week. Thats interesting that your not doing the array cgh. We got to blastocyst as well with our ivf treatments, do you mind me asking whats the immunolgy extra medication process?

I have just discovered through blood tests that I am totally intolerant of cows milk! 30 is in the red ie intolerant and I am at 121! I wonder is that my problem!!! I am starting a new diet minus cows milk next week.

Speak soon and will be thinking of you
Katiebells

#24 ·
Hi Katiebells!

Wow that;s interesting isn't it!  allergic to cow's milk!  Have you had any adverse symptoms? 

I have high natural killer cell activity and high thyroid antibody levels and so am taking a cocktail of clexane (anticoagulant daily injections), steroids, had aspirin before egg collection, and intralipids (contains milk by the way) by drip half way through stimming and again if get a positive test.  I was also told to drink a glass of milk every day as it helps with implantation as it makes your uterus STICKY ... mmmmm nice!  Not sure how this would work for you.  Would be interested to know how your new diet works without diary. 

Our Blastocysts last time around were not of good quality and even though we had two put back the other 8 (i think!) perished the following day.  So we are so pleased that we have now heard that our third embryo (had two put back in on MOnday - Day 2 trf) has got to blastocyst is a good grade 2/1.  Fingers crossed we have more hope for this time around.  I have to say this treatment is very different to previous ones and so we are trying to keep positive. 

Cannot fault Care so far they have been lovely and very professional and even if this doesn't work we feel confident they are very good at what they do. 

Oh well better go been a long day as was up at 6am to come home and now just having a rest as it is day 5 post transfer and i want to make sure i do everything i can to help my lovely embies implant and grow grow grow ... oh god i hate the 2ww

Hope all well
Love
Chuba  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

#25 ·
Hi Chubachops,

OMG, thats great news re your third blast, congratulations. I really hope your little two are getting comfy for the next nine months with you. I know it is a really tough wait but hopefully this time will be different and you will get that special news that you so deserve. Its great that you think CARE are different and as you mentioned having a little frostie at the end is another great sign.

The drama of my food intolerances continues, I am gluten intolerant and wheat and rice and so on. The good news is though there are alot of evidence based research inrelation to gluten and infertility and none really with cows milk. So that just gives me something to cling on to as to why we havent conceived yet.

I have butterflies in my tummy thinking of you. Would love to hear how your going on.

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^hugme^ ^pray^
Katiebells

#26 ·
Hi Katiebells

Well yes that is interesting isn't it?  Oh I do hope that finding out these intolerances will make a difference to you conceiving - how amazing would that !!!  Good luck with the new diets - I bet its making a big difference to your shopping routine.  Sue you'll get used to it soon!! 

As for me well I am still hanging on in there by the skin of my teeth but its getting really tough.  Not holding out much hope now as really just feel like AF is about to arrive - has been like that for 3 days now.

Thank you so much for your good wishes Katie

Will be in touch when we've got our result.... fingers crossed it will be a positive this time but am preparing myself for the worst at the moment.  Self-preservation and all that I think. 

Love
Chuba
xx ^hugme^ ^hugme^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.