Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please, my little fella is drivin me crazy  :mad:

I recently took his dummy off him (9may) as he was losing it at night and it was waking him up. Also he used to put his fingers upto his mouth when falling asleep and knock it out and it used to wake him up. More of a hindrance than a help to be honest. Anyway, we had a few rubbish nights as expected and then he settled right down again. We used pu/pd from early on, even with his dummy which I know your not supposed to do so he was always a great sleeper, could settle himself no bother! This carried on after he got used to the idea of no dummy. He would lie and play and shout for a while then fall fast asleep, even during the day. Seems it was easier without the dummy.  ::)

This past week he has been an absolute nightmare. It started on saturday night, he was snuffly in bed he was up loads during the night. its just carried on although he's no longer snuffly. He's waking about 2am then taking ages to settle and waking every hour after that, hungry or not. He's sucking on a bottle for a good 20 mins but not actually drinking anything so its not hunger. I've tried Calpol, Dentonox and some herbal remedy thing to no avail so I'm not 100% sure its his teeth. Also he has no trouble during the day. Now to make things worse he's decided he doesn't want to be put down to go to sleep at all now. It's reached battle of wills stage I think. As soon as he goes upstairs and gets put down it starts. Tonight it took me an hour and twenty mins and it got to the point I was putting my hands under him to lift him cause he was crying and he was stopping  ^bigbad^. I'm at my wits end - really starting to lose patience with him as I don't think there is anything wrong with him. It was so bad that on wed I went to bed when he went to bed in the hope I would get some sleep - wrong. It ended with me crying as much as him, DH eventually took over.

any suggestions?? I know a dummy seems the obvious answer but he was really whiny and twisty during the day when he had a dummy as all he wanted to do was suck it but hes like a different baby now, and plus it was waking him loads when he lost it so don't think it will solve the sleeping through.

sorry, this is a long post and a bit rambly (sleep deprivation i suppose!!  :))

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi Hun,

Dont really have any advice  ^hugme^ but i had this with L a few weeks back. He has always gone down fine, awake then settles himself off. He then had a viral infection so was a bit under the weather, which is what started it then it just got worse. to the point as soon as i walked in the bedrrom with him and started lowering him into the cot he would start screaming  :'( this went on for 3 days and the only way i could settle him was to hold him and let him sleep in my arms first. I then told myself i didnt want to get myself into this habit, so i just sat by his cot and stroked his face, rubbed his belly and it was a long process over 4 nights and took us about an hour each time to settle him but it worked and now he's back to going down awake and settling himself.

It was hard, and your instinct is to pick them up and comfort them. If everythings been ruled out i would try sticking it out with the pu/pd, and hopefully you should see an improvement.

Nikki xx

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi hunny,

Big hugs  ^hugme^ I know going without sleep is awful and when he was so good before it's just a nightmare.

My only thought is (and I know you've offered him a bottle) is he hungry.  Perhaps you need to think about solids? Speak to your HV.  In the mean time try and stay calm and I think Nikki is right keep on with the routine you've already established.

Good luck, hope you get some more sleep soon.

Try and get a nap this pm get DH to take the LO out and go to bed yourself!

FG

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

thanks for the replies, would love to nap but unfortunatly Chubby works shifts  ^police^ and wasn't here so that went flying out the window. I am also going to try solids tommorrow, he's only a week or two shy of 6 months and today he had 2 7oz bottles within 3 hours so I'm taking the hint!  ;D

There have been times in the past when he hasn't been settling that I have lifted him and cuddled him and he's gone straight to sleep and straight back down but he's even fighting me on that, he's kicking off when I'm cuddling him or putting him down - can't win  ::) Anyway tonight we dropped from nearly 2 hours of pu/pd to only 40 mins  ^pompom^. I know this sounds like loads but when we first 'trained' him he done 40 mins then 5 the next night so I'm winning!  ^clapping^ Also I was remarkably chilled tonight - I had set myself up for the battle whereas the previous nights I was getting frustrated as he knows how to do it and I couldn't understand why he wasn't. That also worked wonders - think he may have been picking up on my signals as well which wasn't helping.

Fingers crossed we've cracked it! but stay tuned to this channel just in case!!! ha ha  :)

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hooray for Matthew  :)

Thats another thing i didnt mention in my post, staying calm ;D sometimes i would get myself so frustrated with L, and would have to take a step back and tell myself to calm down.

Keep doing what your doing and hopefully you will be back to how you were, and a little less stressed  ^hugme^

Nikki xx

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hey,

Hope you are having a good evening - and Matthew is being a good boy.

Hugs
FG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts