Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

It's been almost 9 months since William and Charlotte were born on the 10th Aug 2007, and I feel compelled to post my birth story at last!

I have a very good pregnancy and felt so positive all the way through. I had spoken to my consultant (or his registrars mainly) throughout the last part of my pregnancy about birth options, and had said that I would prefer a vaginal birth. I was always told that, of course I would have to see what happened towards the end of the pregnancy and re asses when labour stared, but as twin 1 had been head down for weeks (although twin 2 was breech) and time was marching on they said that I had a good chance to deliver vaginally - but was told to be prepared for anything.

My consultant said that he was happy for me to go to 40 weeks which I was pleased about, and I had an appointment booked at 38 + 4, but my cons was on holiday and the registrar I saw instead couldn't believe I hadn't been booked in for an induction. So she promptly booked me in for the following day. I told her that I thought I'd been having contractions for a few days, she checked me and I was 4 cm dilated. She did a sweep and told me that my waters were ready to break so that is what they would do when I came in the following evening.

So on the Wednesday night off we went to the hospital. I was feeling such a mixture of emotions. Once we got there we discovered that it was so busy in the delivery suites that they couldn't start me off as they just didn't have the midwives available. So I tried to sleep on the ward that night, but barely slept a wink.

The following morning I got up to go to the loo and had a show. So I knew that it was all happening at last! Once again I hung around for hours due to the staff being run off their feet. By early evening I had resigned myself to another night on the ward before anything happened, so I decided to make myself a cup of tea and on the way to the kitchen one of the midwives said 'where do you think your going?', I said 'to make a cup of tea', she replied 'I don't think so, I'm just about to take you downstairs to have your waters broken!'

So off we went! I was checked again and was 5cm dilated and so they broke my waters. Oh Lord. I really didn't think that there would be so much fluid! It just kept going on and on! Me and my DH were sent off for a walk around the corridors and bumped into another FF (and DH) who had been on the ward with me, also pg with twins and who just had her waters broken!

The pain started kicking in and before you know it I was back in the delivery suite having an epidural done. That was all fine, although I did get some breakthrough pain on the left side.

The midwives (who were just lovely!) told my DH to go and get some sleep in the home room, which he promptly did - filling the corridors with the sound of loud snoring! In the meantime I was having a bit of a funny turn. I started shaking and being sick. I was soooo cold. It was such a strange feeling and I am pretty sure it's because I had become fully dilated pretty quickly. The midwives have their way of doing things and wouldn't check me again - said they had to leave me another couple of hours (could have been slightly more or less to be fair). Eventually they did check me and lo and behold I was fully dilated! Its then their policy to leave you another hour before they let you start pushing. Really don't understand why. Anyhow DH was woken up and I continued to shake! So after 45 mins the said I could push! Within about half an hour a head could be seen on its way out - totally throwing the midwives who had nothing prepared, as they just didn't expect it to happen so fast (I had been telling them for hours that fast labours are what happens in our family!). So before we knew it William arrived! (with the help of an episiotomy) weighing in at 5lb15oz. My beautiful boy. I held him up to feed and he latched on straight away. Off he went to have cuddles from Daddy and in the mean time the pediatrician, who had to be woken up, was called in to deliver the second twin. He had a feel about (inside and out  :eek:) and told us the twin 2 was footling breech. They had lost her heartbeat momentarily I could see that he was considering the best course of action. I really didn't want him to rush me off for a c-section, especially as I'd got so far, so I asked him if I could continue to push. He didn't looked convinced, but said ok. So I announced 'lets get this baby out!' So I went for it, and 34 mins later Charlotte arrived - feet first! DH was the first to see that she was a girl (we had decided not to find out the sexes) by crawling under the bed. She had a bit of a bumpy ride as she had the cord wrapped round her body and neck, but the pediatrician had managed to free her as she came out. She had her left arm wedged up next to her ear and had to be pulled out (just like when a cow has a calf - as described by my DH!) She finally arrived (with the help of an extended episiotomy!) and weighed in at 6lb 7oz. I lost quite a lot of blood in the third stage of labour - I felt terrible that I had covered most of the room - including the staff in blood, but they were very good about it! The whole thing had taken about 7 hours, which seemed like a lifetime and no time at all, all at the same time!

Charlotte latched on really well too and had a good feed. Towards the end of the feed she started to make a strange noise and the midwife called the pediatrician back. They whisked my beautiful daughter off to SCBU as she had fluid on her lungs. Oh I cried.

After being stitched up and having had a cup of tea and toast, William and I were on our way up to the ward.

I felt like I was in the twilight zone. So worried about Charlotte but had William to worry about too. Luckily Lottie was out of SCBU within a day and a half of being admitted, but I found it difficult to to bf both babies while they were on different floors and in different departments. I cried on my way in to, and out of the SCBU for many reasons really - missing my little girl, tiredness, hormones and seeing the tiny babies that were there - too many tiny babies.

I had had my twins on the Friday morning at 39 weeks exactly, and by the time Lottie was back with us on Saturday night I just wanted to go home. So after nagging the midwives and proving that I could tandem breastfeed them we were allowed to go home on Sunday afternoon.

I found it a really positive experience. The only downside was that Charlotte's difficult birth left me with a very large blood clot which I had to have removed 3 weeks later. But the op went well and it was soon forgotten.

William and Charlotte are an absolute delight and after 8 years of ttc the heartache of IF has ebbed away.

Thank you for reading,

Liz

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congratulations on your adorable twins  :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Congratulations!

^spin^ ^spin^ ^spin^ ^spin^
^babycrawl^ ^babycrawl^

x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.