Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had an autoinjector for their fertility jabs. I will be injecting menopur daily and have a real problem with needles. Someone had suggested I try one of these, just wondered if anyone else has had one?

Thanks

Jen x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I had an auto injector for my puregon - although it was more for the doseage - i still had to put the needle in myself!!  It really wasn't that bad actually - and i got blase about it in the end!  in fact the only one that dh did bruised really badly!

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I used one for puregon too. It's not too bad to do once you get the knack & it's more of a sting than hurting afterwards.  ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Best tip he gave me was to squeeze a bit of flesh (had plenty to choose from!! ;) ) quite firmly then you barely feel the needle go in.

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
;D Sal - same here, can def pinch more than an inch!

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
yes - although i think a small bit is better than a large bit and i struggled to find a small bit!!!! ;D

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I always use one - I'd rather 'click' than push the needle in myself! x

·
Registered
572 Posts
Jen I had one for my first cycle of menopur, it was a massive thing that took the whole needle so you couldn't see the needle at all. You just placed the circle end on the skin and push and it shot the needle that was out of sight into the skin.

You can also use ice to numb the area first if you are worried about it hurting.

See you on cycle buddies  ;)
Zoe xxx

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
just feel i should point out to you there is a difference between an injector pen (basically a pre-filled syringe which measures out the dose for you, but you still have to physically put the needle in yourself) and an autoinjector (where the needle is hidden in the device, you put it against your skin click a button and the needle pops out and delivers the dose)

wanted to point that out so you don't get the same surprise I did, thought i was gonna end up with an autoinjector and instead have an injector pen!

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Hi Jen I have a problem with needles too, I once sat in the bathroom holding the syringe over my tummy saying over and over again "just do it" for half an hour before giving up and phoning DH to come home from the pub where he was having a meal with his parents!

I've never used the pen thing so I can't comment but I have heard people say that the sound of the click is just as bad for giving you a fright as actually doing the injection, but I don't know if that's true.

The way I got round it all was by handing over the injections to DH. I have never injected myself despite having two rounds of treatment to date! I just lay on the bed and ... well ... thought of England  ;D

Good luck!

B x :-*

·
Registered
791 Posts
Can your clinic provide you with the auto injectors. I am to use menopur and they don't come in a pen.  Zozo I like the sound of the one you have and wondered where I can get one. I take it you have to do all the mixing first and then load the syringe into the pen?
I too have a huge fear of needles and am struggling to face my next tx because of this. Jen08 I know how you feel huni. xx

·
Registered
572 Posts
Chocolate

I had the menopur mising etc to do too, one night even lost a vial all over the kitchen side....but you do get the hand of it.  ;D
My clinic supplied the autoinjector but they didn't offer it out I had to ask as say I was worried about needles. You then load the whole syringe in and so you cannot see it anymore (my problem is is can't actually look at the needles  ;D so this was great ) They also allowed me to transfer the trigger shot into a different size syringe so it fit into the injector.

This cycle I was given Gonal F by a different clinic and that comes in the auto pen that Piepig mentioned, its already pre filled and you just change the dose it releases if need be.
I didnt like this as much as you can see and have to insert the needle the autoinject part just release the liquid in.

Good luck for your tx.

Zoe xxx

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had gonalf the first two tx I had and had just managed to control my fear of using them. I too can't look at the needle and end up in a right state every time my jag is due. I have an appointment on Monday 16th so I will ask them about it then. I had my first two attempts on NHS and this tx is at a different private clinic so I hope they can help me!
Oh the things wee girlies have to do!
Thanks zozo. xx

·
Registered
572 Posts
You will find changing and mixing for yourself a bit of a nightmare, but you will get used to it.
Make sure you ask for the autoinjector though  :)

Good luck for your consultation.

I have done things a bit back to front  ;D Have EC tomorrow for my 2nd private tx but just been granted 3 attempts on NHS so if this fails I will be in their hands  ??? Have you changed clinics as you are now private?

My DP always did it for me and I put a pillow over my head so I didn't see and to take my mind of it he pinched my other leg  ;D
He probably enjoyed it  :)

xxx

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah I have changed clinics and they have changed me from long protocol to short and I could have started with this af (due anytime, but playing funny buggers) but I decided to wait until July AF as I am a nursery teacher soI get all the summer holidays and  have the whole time I am doing tx off. I really hope all goes well for you and good luck for your tx. Let me know how you go and after two tx if there is anything i can do for you just let me know.
I will remember to ask for autoinjector its imprinted in my mind now its so important to me as I am already worried!
I will let you know what they say.
Thanks Huni. xx

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks for your support  ^hugme^

Yes please would love to hear how you get on.
That sounds great having the whole time off for the tx, at least you can relax a little during it.

xxx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
zozo said:
My DP always did it for me and I put a pillow over my head so I didn't see and to take my mind of it he pinched my other leg ;D
He probably enjoyed it :)

xxx
LMAO -!!! ;D how many spare hands has your dh got?!?! brilliant!

·
Registered
572 Posts
;D ;D ;D I couldnt have done it without him

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I've just got this picture of using his feet to help - how on earth did he manage to inject you and pinch your other let with only 2 hands?!?!

Bless him!

·
Registered
572 Posts
we have an injector pen so he just inserted the needle with one hand and clicked the injector down with his thumb and used the other hand to pinch me......which hurt more than the jab itself  ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts