Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have PCOS and have recently managed to (almost) regulate my cycle by taking supplements and following a healthy diet.

Been feeling a bit depressed recently though, and the diet has really slipped. I just seem to be addicted to sugar! Can't stop eating biscuits and chocolate and am just constantly craving sugar in general. Its awful and I feel very cross with myself. So stupid, because the second I eat it, I get a headache and feel very dizzy. Have also managed to pack on about 6lbs in the last month, so feeling miserable all round. Plus no AF for 6 weeks now (definately not pg!).

This proves the point to me that diet is definately linked to PCOS but does anyone have any good tips on how to stay motivated and steer clear of the sweets and chocolate? I think I could do with having my mouth stapled!

Feeling very angry with myself for ruining things but just finding it hard to be 'saintly' all the time, hence the big slip up.

Any ideas or advice on how to be 'good' would be appreciated!

Cheers girls,
Kate x

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Lipgloss,

Well done on almost regulating your cycle with your diet!! It does take a lot of committment doesn't it, I have PCOS and try to avoid sugar but I do have insane cravings sometimes, I don't know whether it will work for you but what I do is always have fruit available, (I'm into nectarines at the moment) and then if I feel I have to have a sugar fix I can feel that at least it is healthy sugar, it doesn't work all the time but does help a bit. Also if I just have to have chocolate or something I try to to make sure that I have it immediately after eating a meal, to avoid the highs and lows associated with sugar cravings (which mess up your hormone levels).

Hope this helps, none of us are perfect and it's not a crime to not stick rigidly to a healthy diet, and anyway who wants to be "good" ;D

Sammy x

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey there i have just started the gi diet as i recently found out i had pcos
In the collette harris pcos fertility book, there is a diet from the dietician at Addenbrookes and in her diet you can have one smal bar of organic chocolate about every other day. I'm not following the diet entirely as the rick gallop one is more 'me' but if it's in a pcos advice book then it can't be too bad.I also have the crazy cravings that you have but i put that down to me just starting out. I try to have fruity herbal teas when i feel down but i do get an insane urge for carbohydrates(crisps and potatoes)my friend at work suggested putting an elastic band around my wrist and pinging it when i think bad food thoughts. It works up until a point but it does make your wrist sore if you do it too much!!
Good Luck with sticking to the diet - maybe you should look into getting some different pcos books with different diets in them and see what other things you can eat. (amazon do some cheap ones0
TTFN
Ju

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Hi,

I read 'Only fat people skip breakfast' and the author recommends totally giving up sugar (which is impossible, as everything contains sugar! :mad:) but she says if you have to have something sweet, have diabetic choc as you can't stuff yourself with it as it gives you an upset tummy if you have too much, but might be the sweet fix you need.

Good luck, I also have PCO, and having lost almost 3 stone on weightwatchers, I'm almost back at my start weight, so will be jumping back on the wagon after christmas!

Siobhan x

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've cut out sugar out of my diet.  At times it is SO difficult!  If I can feel the craving coming I chew on sugarfree chewing gum.  If that doesn't work I eat grapes or oranges.  If I am still unsatisfied I do eat something sweet...sugarfree Chuppas.  It's not sugar (low in cal. too) yet tastes sweet and as it's a lolly it takes a while to eat.  My craving goes away well before I finish the lolly.  No guilt.  Gummy candies (a few pieces) are also alright to eat.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
What helps my sugar/sweet cravings is eat a plum and I find the stone tastes very sweet and after sucking on that for a while my cravings go - can't hurt to try.

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
I take a Chromium supplement daily, which really helps pcos sugar cravings, my sil is also taking it and we have found we have much less desire for sweet things, (though i still have to have desert if were out!)
Dizzi
XX

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all,

Had a bit of a few bad months on the Health and Fitness front, but just came back and checked this thread, and thanks for the tips!

Dizzi - I've heard a lot of good things about Chromium, might give it a try. I'm popping so many pills at the moment though!  ;D

Thanks for the tip, anything helps doesn't it?!

xxx

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I too have PCOS and have the most awful sugar cravings, which most of the time I give into!! I'm ussually on the Clomid thread, but thought I'd pop along here and join in.

All your suggestions are great. I constantly berate myself for being a "failure" for giving into my cravings, but its so difficult! Is chromium ok to take with Clomid? And I'm also starting on Metformin as well. I'm going to rattle like a jar of sweets!!!  ;)

I have about 4st to lose, its slowly crept on over the last few years and I find it so difficult to shift. I keept trying to give up sweet things, but like Vonniej said, sugar is in everything. I figure if I can cut down on my sugar intake, I won't crave it as much!

Here's hoping!!
KerryB
xx

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hi Kerry,
I too crave sugar at times. I lost about 3 stone last year on a low carb diet (which means virtually no sugar) but I replaced sweet stuff with things like strawberries and cream. Also you can get low sugar pots of jelly from supermarket (in jelly section), which are nice, especially if with cream or strawberries (or both!).  However, the best thing I have found to help satisfy the craving for sweet stuff is the sugar free flavoured water. Tesco's do some nice ones. They used to do brand called perfectly clear (not sure if you can still get it from Asda).

Don't berate yourself for treating yourself, just enjoy it as a reward, but get back on the diet the next day. I have managed to keep my weight stable, and even still lose a pound or two by allowing myself rewards. I still hardly eat high carb food such as bread or potatoes, but am used to it now.

Good luck with the weight loss, I know how hard it is, but you will feel so proud of yourself when you succeed.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Thanks Lorri, I will certainly give the Jelly's a go. And I love Strawberries! I'm back on the mad Clomid pills today so I'm going to try really hard this month to get into a new routine and cut down on sugar.

Well done on losing 3st. I will keep posting here now, so hopefully I can get some more tips from you sometime!

KErryB
xx

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hi Kerry,
If you like strawberries, try growing your own. This is the perfect time of year for them, and I find home grown ones so much sweeter. My plant is in a pot on my patio, so is quite small, so only get about 2 every day or so, but they are so delicious and no extra sugar is needed !

The flavoured sugar-free water is so sweet, you will love it, I have been drinking so much lately in this lovely weather, it really fills me up.

Did you know, that your body confuses hunger with thirst ?  When you feel hungry , sometimes you are really thirsty.

Lorri x

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I did have some growing in the garden, but when we took them out I left them too long before repotting and they died. Might buy some more though.

Just started on Metformin, so I'm hoping that might help with losing some weight too. Will try and keep to low sugar everything!

KerryB
xx

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hi Kerry,
How are you doing ?  I don't know anything about those drugs, I am pretty new to ivf. I transplanted my strawberries into a large pot last year. If you are on a low fat diet, of course you will have omit or substitute the cream. Thats the thing I love about low carb diet, you can eat fat - butter, cream, nuts and they satisfy the sugar craving to some extent. Trouble is, you have to also be careful about drinks, they can be loaded with sugar. Even fruit juices. I tend to stick to the waters, and now can't bear lemonade or coke, as they are far to sweet. Make my teeth cringe.

I am starting on my drugs today, so I think some of my eating habits may have to go out the window, not sure yet though. I have been told to drink 3 litres of water and 1 litre of milk per day.

Take care and good luck with your drugs x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts