Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am not quite sure how to explain this really, but here goes!  ::)  For the last four days my little girl ( 13 weeks) has been having complete looks of terror!  :'(  It mostly seems to happen when i am changing her on the changing table. She can be all smiley and then suddenly her arms and legs jerk straight out to the sides and she freezes and the terror in her face is frightening! she then starts screaming. It's like she is having the sensation of falling, or as if she is plumiting down on a roller coaster or something. I sometimes see her doing the same thing when she is lying on her mat, but not to the same extreme. I try and keep one hand on her tummy to reassure her I am there. It is very weird and is so horrible to witness  :'( . It had crossed my mind that maybe she had an ear infection and was having a bit of vertigo but there are not really any obvious signs that's what she is suffering from??? In the next instance she will be happy as larry again as if nothing has happened! Has anyone got any ideas? Things also seem to startle her fairly easily right now. She never bothered about noises around her or sudden movements before, but now she does? I am at a loss!

fairywings xx

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Hi fairywings,

Sorry to hear this :( Not something I've been aware of happening in a baby so young? Short of ruling out other external factors such as cold/temperature, I can't think what would cause this. Is it just on the changing table or does it happen when she's flat on her back on the floor or in bed? Just wondering if something could be causing pain when sh'es on her back? I'd definitely speak to HV about it when you see them next if it doesn't resolve.

Maz x

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Does it happen more after feeding?  I'm wondering about silent reflux.  That is where the contents of the baby's stomach come back up, not far enough for them to be sick, but as the acid contents of the stomach come back up, they burn the tube and throat.  Arching the back is a tell-tale sign - does she do that?

Definitely one to ask your HV about.

I hope it's sorted soon - it's so distressing to see LOs in pain, especially when they are so small.

EG x

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Maz and Essex Girl  :) 

I'm pretty sure it's not reflux. It doesn't coincide with feeding at all to be honest. She doesn't arch her back really, it's more like it's stuck firmly on the surface she is lying on (as I say, like she's got the sensation of falling) . Also one thing I can say about her is that she certainly gets rids of air bubbles - both ends!! Who'd have thought such a little thing could produce such magnificant burps and bottie burps!!!  ;D  Very unladylike!!! Hee hee!!!

She doesn't seem to be in any pain either, Maz. Maybe temp could be a factor....She has her second lot of jabs on wednesday, so I will ask then  :-\  . Hey ho, there is always something to keep us on our toes!!  ;) 

fairywings xx

·
Registered
718 Posts
Is it possibly just a normal reflex? I can't remember exactly what age but I know up to a certain age this is normal...
Lou.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
My ds2 does this too and he's ?18wks old. He's done it for ages, pretty much since birth and still does it now just not to the same extent. It's almost like they can't control the urge to jerk their limbs so when it happens, it frightens them. We laugh at ds2 now when it happens (sounds cruel) and he then doesn't get so upset by it.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Hello

Alfie had quite a strong startle. I seem to remember reading up about it - just by goggling - and finding it was fairly common. I would guess it makes her jump and that scares her for a moment  :(

Some baby's seem to do it more with changes in sensation - getting undressed for example, or when having a pee  :) . Could it be happening when you use the baby wipe/water? I'm thinking the change of feeling might cause the reaction.

Alfie still does it - but only when he's falling asleep now. Its quite a strong jerk tho

^hugme^

MK xx

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  :) Maybe it's just that looking at her mummy frightens her!!!  ;D  I am looking quite scary at the moment!!!  ^scared^  Bless her!  :-\ 

fairywings xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.