Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking that we'd keep the baby in our room for the first few months so we can keep an eye on him / her.  A friend who had twins kept them in her room for the first night then put them into their own room after that with no baby monitor.  I know it will probably be a suck it and see situation but wanted to gauge how long other people keep their babies in the same room with them for.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Gosh I'm the first to reply to this and I'll probably win the record....

we have our 2 and 1/4 year old daughter and our 6 month old son in our room.  STILL!!  We would move them out, but our empty bedrooms are up another flight of stairs and as our daughter has not been a great sleeper and I was pregnant with our son I didn't want to be going up and down stairs in the night.  And then we didn't want her to feel pushed out when our son arrived.  So they are both still in with us.  We are going to move soon so then they'll have their own rooms.  I hope!!

Good luck whatever you decide - I think there is no right or wrong, it depends on you, on how your baby is, on what kind of parenting you go for, etc. 

Love Olwen

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi HUn,

To begin with we had L with us in our room as didnt have a choice as we were in a 1 bedrrom house, then we moved when L was around 6 weeks old. Even though he had his own room now he is still in with us at 4 1/2 months. (in his cot)

They do recommend having them in your room untill 6 months to reduce the risk of cot death but thats not the reason L is stillin with us. He still wakes every other night and its easier to see to him and feed him if need be in our room.

Also not everyone has room for a cot in their bedroom, so you might find he will go in his own room earlier then you would like, depending on how long he lasts in a moses basket.

I would see how you go to begin with as we make all these rules and deciede things before they are born and once they are here most of it goes out the window  ;D  ;D

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
By 3 1/2 weeks we had had enough - baby kept us awake and we kept it awake. Didn't bother with monitors as we can hear when she's crying (boy is she loud!) but do use them when traveling etc.

Everyone is different so see how you go :)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
4 months for us, then when Megan outgrew her crib we moved her into her own room into her cot bed.  Unfortunately our room is not big enough to get the cot bed in.

From that first night in her own room Megan slept loads better and so did myself and DH!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
My DD stayed in our room for first 8 months (DH would have kept her there until she was 5 if he could have!)  I moved her to her room sometime after 8 months which is just next door to us (although she still comes into bed with us on some occasions, or i end up sleeping in her room if she is not well, teething etc as its just easier) - like the others have said no right or wrong, some of my friends did baby in own room from first day, some other friends have 5 in a bed (3 children and themselves ranging in age from 5 to 3 months!) so work out whatever suits you - i must say as i was breastfeeding i found it really easy to have DD right next to me in those early months .... i sort of miss those days now, little moses basket next to our bed .....

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
We lasted 6 weeks - and we found she (not to mention us!) slept much better after that!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
hi Josyl

we are having Flump in our room for the 1st 6 mths as this is now recommended by the FSIDs research people (sudden infant death /  cot death) we have a crib in the room as this is meant to last up to 6 mths and if baby outgrows it before then then it'll just have to go in its' nursery but we have amonitor for it already  ;)

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
also, i have never used a monitor.  DH didn't want one, and i figured that if she needed me she'd let me know... i couldn't be doing with laying awake half the night listening to every squeak and breath and then panicking because i couldn't hear any snuffling..... (each to their own though, and actually there have been one or two occasions where it would have been useful.)

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
5 weeks we lasted then she outgrew her moses basket.  We have a moniter but only downstairs not in our room she is onyl thru the wall from us up stairs. have a crib for this baby so will see how long that lasts before she move sin with big sister

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
we haven't checked ours works yet - probably should really  ::)  ^idiot^ I think we'll use it if we are in the kitchen and flump is in the lounge for example - just so I can keep an 'ear' on him/her

our moses basket is leant to us by a friend and she said her LO outgrew it in about 2 mths  :eek: hence the crib

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
6wks, as much as I love him he did my head in  ;D  Who'd think babies could be so noisy when asleep?!!  We all slept SO much better afterward!!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Our plan was always to have Thomas in our room until he was 6 months old ... following the advice on reducing the risk of cot death etc.

However he had outgrown his crib by four months, and there really wasn't the space to bring his cot-bed into our room (not without moving out all the other furniture, anyway).  He therefore went into his own room at four months, and I have to say he slept better and so did we! 

We don't use a monitor at night as he's in the next room to us and we have both doors open.  We use the monitor in the evening though, when he's in bed and we're downstairs.

Katy x

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi

As dakota says they recommend 6m and because k has slept through (mostly) since 6w  :) unless she grows out of her co-sleeper (which is looking quite likely) before that then she will stay in with us til then. I am DREADING putting her in her own room as I like having her with us so much.... ;D

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
matt is just turning 6 months and so far still in with us, in his moses basket. (yup, he still fits in it) Will shift him from that when he's starting to sit up by himself.

I've kept him in because he's still getting up during the night so its easier for me if he's beside me. Now that he's on solids I'm hoping he'll start to sleep through and I can shift him.

Mind you, I was following the FSIDs advice anyway so sleeping through or not he would have been in with me till 6 months (i'm majorly paranoid!) I also kinda like having him in with me - I know, cut the cord! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
We moved KL out when he was just coming up to about 5 months I think ... basically I needed to extend his cot to the next stage and made the move then. 

Bels x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Forgot to say about moniters, we have them but wont use them when he is in his own room as its nextto ours. We use them now bcause he is fursthes away (the other end of the flat) and with the door closed, tv on etc we cant here when he cries

Nikki xx

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
my nearly one year old is still in with me but not by choice!  we have been trying to sell our one bed house for hte last 5 months!  if we had a bigger house from the outset then i'd have had him in for 6 months as suggested

xxxxxxx

1 - 20 of 30 Posts