Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I was thinking overnight (how sad is that!) whether it would be a good idea if us mums would like to pass on any baby recipes to one another (taking into account no added salt, sugar, nuts etc!).

What do you think?

Love

Jeanette

·
Registered
114 Posts
Definately!!!

We are just thinking about starting weaning in the next few weeks,so I would love to hear what other mums have made.
Love
Kathryn :D

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Great idea ;D Especially for once they are past the baby rice and pureed fruit/veg only stage.

I struggled to be inventive with Jack, so would love to have some more adventurous recepies to try with Ben that include meat, pasta, etc.

Don't forget mum's (and dads!) to batch cook and freeze in ice cube trays, and then put into bags, so you can just take out what you need and defrost as and when. This goes for whatever stage. I used to spend a good day once every 6 weeks peeling, chopping, steaming and pureeing all the fresh, organic fruits and veggies for Jack, and it made life much easier. Cheaper than jars too, although I did use them a fair bit once he was into the lumpier foods and old enough for meat.

J xxx

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ooh I'd love to help too, I spent a lot of time making healthy weaning food for Felix and intend to do the same for Freddy. He rarely had jars (and never packets too much unnecesary stuff in there) and like J, I batch cooked and used the ice cube tray method.

The benefit I believe in making your own rather than relying on jars/packets is that the baby gets used to each recipe being different rather than shop bought which always tastes the same. I reckon this helps them when they get older and they are used to variety and different tastes. It is also far healthier.

I made some great stuff like cod and courgette, sweet potato and chicken etc. in the stage after the basic veggies. I was also very fussy about introducing foods in a certain order to prevent allergies/intolerances. I followed a book by a nutritionist which is a bit "lentil mad" but it had a sound basis.

Jane

·
Registered
263 Posts
This sounds like a good idea - funnily enough it crossed my mind the other day when I was thinking of something else to make for Hannah and was running out of ideas!! Hannah occasionally has jars for convenience but seems to far prefer home cooked food.

I make batches and freeze but I have bought some small pots from Mothercare and use those rather than ice cubes. I found they were fine to start with, but once Hannah got a bit older it was more difficult to judge how much to give her - I didn't know how much I should be feeding her and she suddenly went from eating a few spoonfuls to a whole bowlful!!

I have bought Annabel Karmel's book which I find very useful. Also I nearly bought a steamer/liquidiser I saw advertised in one of the baby catalogues, but am glad I went out and bought a small blender instead as this was a lot cheaper and I can also use it for other things as well.

We started on pureed vegetables mixed with a bit of baby rice - carrots, turnips, sweet potato, butternut squash and also fruit - mainly apple (mixed with apricot or peach at times) or pear. Banana is a big favorite too and she has a banana for breakfast - initially mixed with a packet mix of banana porridge and now with Weetabix.

I then started mixing vegetables together and added chicken after 6 months. At 9 months she is now eating things like cauliflower cheese, chicken and vegetable casserole, fish pie and pasta with a tomato sauce. Can give recipes in more detail another time, but they can be a bit typical of my normal cooking - it will vary depending on what is in the fridge!!

Anyway had better go as Hannah is telling me it is her lunch time!!

Look forward to more ideas!!

Celia

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi girls

How shall we do this?

Shall we have:

1. individual threads for each recipe
2. separate threads for each stage of weaning (age related)
3. just have the recipes following on from another?

I think I prefer option 2 but what does everyone else feel?

Love

Jeanette xxxxx

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hi Jeanette,

Option 2 sounds good to me too.

Allie

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes I agree option 2 sounds best.

Celia

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep-option 2 sounds good to me too.Especially as I am a bit unsure of what foods they can have when.

Love
Kathryn

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi girls

I will make a start on this probably tomorrow if thats ok.

I will divide it into the stages of weaning just to make it easier.

Please feel free to add menus when I get organised!!!

Busy time of year- sorry. Theres a very special man visiting our house soon so I am trying to be organised.....

Love

Jeanette xxxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone

No I am not organised! DD and DH are out shopping later so hopefully I will have time to sort this out!

I have been so busy tha I have been dreaming about things I need to do in my sleep.

BUT I will do it as soon as i can

Love

Jeanette xxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Jeanette. Thanks for doing this, as and when you have a chance. There's no rush though, so lots of deep breaths now please, for a nice stress free Christmas ;D (is there such a thing ??? ^chuckle^ ).

Merry Chrimble

Love

J xxx

·
Registered
172 Posts
This thread is a really good idea. My own attempts at producing nice nosh for Katie have been a bit hit and miss, although roast dinner is a huge hit every time!

I used to make puree's with a food processor, but my sister has given me a hand blender and its great! The processor just used to throw small portions upwards, but the blender gives you lots more control. Plus argos do them from £5.99 !! (God, I never thought I'd hear myself extolling the virtues of blenders. I need to get a life..... ;)

Jane, that cod and courgette sounds lovely, don't forget to post that one up please. Not sure about the lentils though- does that result in a whiffy baby?

Lucy

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I've only recently started making Kirstie's food. Like Celia, I have one of Annabel Karmel's books and so far am sticking to veggies and lentils but will try to get more adventurous.

Have to say I was also given a hand blender by the MIL and have found it brill, much easier than trying to puree small amounts in the liquidiser or food processor.

I am still freezing food in to ice cube trays as I find it melts easily in the saucepan when heating. But I'm still trying to get the quantities right. Kirstie can put away a fair bit of food particularly at lunchtime!

Happy cooking and if anyone has any quick and easy recipes for a coooking novice please let me know.

Allie ;)

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I bought Annabel Karmel's guide to the first year. It looks really good, and also has some really good recepies in it, but to be honest I haven't really had time to read it yet and haven't gotten past the first 3 months chapter, let alone the weaning bit! The first bit of weaning is easy as it's just baby rice (or substitute), with pureed fruit and veg, introduced individually to make sure there's no allergies, etc. After that stage, I find it really tricky, and must admit to using jars a lot with Jack. I'm hoping to get better this time and do more home cooked stuff, but will probably still use the jars for convenience when out and about.

Saying that though, I could always take the frozen ice cubes and put them in a cold pack to defrost slowly and then heat them in something like a wide necked bottle in a jug of water and then feed that way. Although, if I remember rightly some restaurants will heat the food for you, but in some places it was only if the food was in a sealed jar to start with ???

Ahhhh, when you're out and about, it's such a short stage in between before they can have bits of finger food off your plate to chomp on anyway. Keeps them occupied, I mean, a chip can take a good 20 minutes to eat ;D

I agree, the hand blenders are really good. I have one of those, but also bought a small food processor which was also really good. I would definitely steer clear of the ones designed especially for doing baby food. They are too small and I think are just another thing on the market that costs loads and we are made to think we need it, when in fact we don't and we can make do with a cheaper 'adult' version.

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the weaning stage again. It is easier when all they're having is milk, but weaning is fun ;D

J xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Jeanette

Just had a quick glance through the baby recepie threads and they're a great help. Thanks ever so much for setting them up and for all the advice in them. I will find them very useful. Even though I did it with Jack, it's amazing how much I've forgotten, and I definitely need a refresher course ;D

Thanks.

J xxx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts