Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help please;

Tried dd 6 times with organic baby rice from boots and every time she wakes in night and is full of beans!! No hunger tho. ds is OK. Didn't change anything else so defo know that it's the rice.

I'm going to start weaning them properly on Sat, but every meal plan says baby rice, and i don't know what else to use. Porridge? Do you think this will have same effect? Anyone else heard of this or had problem. Bit worried because baby rice is supposed to be the simplest easiest thing for babies!! dd also has eczema.

Stumped.  ???

Ta very much.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
at a weaning class I recently asked when do you start introducing veg etc after rice and I was told you don't have to use rice or any baby cereal you can start straight away with the veg etc if you like.

Also I asked what the difference was with baby porridge and proper porridge, could I not just use this? b Was told there is too much salt in porridge. When I looked (and I thought it was, thats why I asked) porridge is only 100% oats so don't understand where the salt is coming from!  ^idiot^ Perhaps she thought I meant the ready to make one like oatso simple or something. I've since checked on internet and can't see any problem with proper porridge oats for children, as long as you get the finer grain.

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
The problem with porridge (potential problem) is that it has gluten in it (although it tends to be less problematic than wheat gluten), so not recommended for babies.

I would recommend just going for the veg and fruit to start with and see what happens!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I'd go straight in with fruit and veg purees, rice is such a 'nothing' food, its bland and horrible... good luck, weaning is good fun (I promise  ^scared^!!)

Bev xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Yep, I loved it! Still do actually - i've had her eating olives recently!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
What time are you giving the baby rice?

When I started weaning we would give 'food' at around 11am, if you are giving it around teatime, it may be better to move it a bit earlier in the day & then it shouldn't effect DD's sleep

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I gave C banana as his first taste of food!! He loved it but then proceeded to lie on his mat, waving his arms and legs around frantically!!  ;D ;D So, C had his first 'sugar rush'!!  ;D ;D

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi Em,

I went straight in with pureed veg (swede i think) on my HVs advice.  She said she couldnt identify the point when babyrice became the excepted norm as a 1st weaning food.  She felt it was just filler and that if baby is ready for weaning then they are ready for what she called 'proper food'. I did try J on it and he hated it so veg it was. I must say I wouldnt want it if I was a baby either.  Yuk!  Js fave veg within a space of a few days was parsnip, but to be honest "food is food and all food is good" as far as J is concerned. Js sleeping didnt really improve until I added a lunch into the equation after about 3 weeks. Now he is on 3 huge meals a day and would get an olympic gold medal if eating was a sport!

Hope you get a good night very soon,

Mel x

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,

Thanks for all your replies.

Siobhan - gave rice at 11am and no later. Didn't give again yesterday and she slept from 7.30pm to 6am so it really is that!! How odd. Kitten - (that's what i call Phoebe all the time!) - funny how they get rushes!! Mel - Leo gobbles down rice, but then i think he would eat the cat if he could. He's going to be great to feed. Phoebe can eat, but is just a bit less trusting of things going into her mouth!

Bev, Sally and Outspan - will go for veggies and fruit and then when ready for brekkie try oats.

Cool. What i'll do is where the 'plan' says to give rice, i'll give a carb e.g. potato. First week is gonna be:

carrot, pear, sweet potato, apple and swede and if they hate one of those, my back up foods are cauliflower, butternut squash and potatoes.

Found a nice organic shop where they are going to educate me on what is ripe, type of apples and pears etc. Good website about veg and stuff (select it from right hand side drop down menu):

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/produce/index.html

Cheers again.

Em.

/links

1 - 9 of 9 Posts