Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thomas has had bottles of EBF from about 6 weeks, then I did mixed feeding from 10 weeks until 20 weeks, and for 4 weeks he's been exclusively on formula.  Most of the time he takes his bottle really well ... one or two breaks to catch his breath (and burp!) but it's rarely been difficult.

Over the last week he's taken about half a bottle well, but then got really cranky - the second half has been a real battle.  Out of desperation I put him in his bouncy chair, and he finished a bottle with no problem.  Now, the only way he seems to be able to finish a bottle is if he's lying flat on his back.  I really don't like doing this - all my instincts tell me it's bad for his digestion etc.  I always wind him and so far it doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

We've had a busy week so I guess he could simply be playing up.  We're just back from holiday with friends in Greece where the 42" plasma screen TV was often on while he was feeding (NOT my choice!).  At home there's definitely been no TV while he's feeding.

I've just started on babyrice since we got back from holiday, which he is absolutely loving.  I guess I'm just worried that he's going to love real food so much that it's going to be a struggle to get him to keep up his milk quota.

If anyone has experience of feeding babies flat on their backs, do let me know!!!

Katy x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
The timing could just be coincidence and it's actually the solids that are making him drink less milk as this very often happens. How much is he taking in a day? Once weaning is established and you've introduced all food groups he will naturally cut back a fair bit on his milk - I know both my two went to just a morning and evening bottle.

I haven't formula fed with them completely flat but when I was BF'ing I would very often feed led down, especially at night. I would have thought if it wasn't comfortable for him he wouldn't do it.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chux,

I didn't think it was the weaning as he's been difficult for nearly a week now, and I only started weaning on Wednesday.  So far he's only had a couple of teaspoons of babyrice once a day, so I find it hard to believe that such a small amount of solids could affect his appetite for milk.

At the moment he's on 37oz per day (8oz at breakfast and after his bath; 7oz lunch, afternoon and at 10.30pm) so dropping a few ounces would hardly be a worry.  I'm following GF's weaning book as it seems to be really good not just at introducing foods but co-ordinating this with reductions in milk.

I guess I'm just curious as to why he's got so fussy about position, and a bit concerned that lying down to feed might not be good for him. 

K x

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thats so strange, our twins (22 weeks old) are completely different feeders and one of them sounds just like yours. She will take about half of her bottle and then feeding becomes a total nightmare. She will take some more sat up in her bouncy chair and then in desperation to have some more (her volumes of milk are dwindling day by day and are taking her to the doctors this avo, she used to drink more at 2 months old than she does now) she will lie down flat in her cot and drink a little more. Don't be worried about feeding them lying down though. Our two are used to it after a lovely midwife whilst I was in hospital told me Egyptians all feed thier babies lying down and I found this a useful technique whilst breastfeeding during the night they would come into bed (individually) with me and we would fall to sleep with baby on the breast - worked a treat. At night now they are on the bottle I give them their last drop of milk lying down and it just settles them off to sleep. The only problem I can see is that if they drink say more than 1-2oz in this position then obviously they need picking up to wind. Whats strange is that my fussy eater likes to be fed with the TV on as well - I wonder if this has something to do with it? The other twin will feed in the same room as TV being on but not in front of it. Let us know if you come up wwith any solutions!

Good luck  :)

Vic xx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Katy,

C is another one who wants milk lying down!!  ;D ;D But, if DH gives him a bottle, he has to be sort of sitting up!!  ^idiot^

I don't think lying down to drink milk will cause any problems. Well, it hasn't with C anyway. Plus, I find it easier to get his wind up if he's lay down for the milk. All I have to do then is sit him up straight and up comes the wind!!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
S has her bottles lying down too.  She seems happier this way.

The only problem the HV said we might have is she might get an ear infection because of the way she swallows ???  We haven't had any problems like that though.

T xx

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice!

Vic - I do wonder whether Thomas's fussing is related to the TV.  When we were on holiday last week he got used to feeding in front of the TV at our friends' house.  Back home I don't let him see the TV while feeding, so it's possible he's just being difficult. 

Today he's had some pear puree at lunchtime and babyrice at teatime and is only 2oz down, so I'm not worried.  Will have to see what he does at half-ten - having had babyrice for tea I expect he won't be quite as hungry.

I guess that as long as I wind him after having the second half of his bottle lying down then there's no harm ...

K x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi Katy,

L is another one who like having the second half of his bottle flat on his back  ::) I can get 3 oz in him fine then he is winded then he doesnt seem to want anymore so he gets put in his cot (this is his night feeds, he is fine during the day) and will take the rest lying flat on his back.

They do say drinking flat on there back can cause them to have more wind and be painful but i havent had this with L

Nikki xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts