1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

Wonder if you can help at all

Zachary is 2 days old and i am breastfeeding him
However he will only feed from one breast (the right side)
When he has cuddles he has a crying session if you lay him from the left also, during labour his h/b dipped really low when i was moved to the left side and during pg if i laid on left he kicked like mad until i moved to the right

If i try to feed him from the left he screams and screams until he gasps for breath and then new mummy paranoia sets in

Any suggestions ??? he also has jaundice and the mw has said to feed him more frequently

thanks in advance
Em

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Hi,

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Don't be too concerned about him being on his left side, I think it's just a co-incidence as there isn't really any reason why he would be uncomfortable on that side.

When you say he will only feed from the right breast, are you meaning he doesn't take anything at all from the left?  Some babies do favour one side, but it's really important to make sure that he feeds equally from both sides, as if your left breast isn't being drained, you can get infections such as mastitis, which are really nasty.  Haveyou tried feeing him on your left side whilst he is under your arm?  We call it the rugby tackle position!!!  Position yourself comfortably, with him along your side, under your arm, and see if he will go on that way, (sometimes you can fool them into thinking they are on the other side!) 

Is your midwife coming out soon, as she will be able to show you different ways, it's frustrating, as I can't explain it very well on the internet!  Also, have a look at the breast feeding support network, or la leche league, as they often run support groups, which are excellent, and give you loads of help with feeding.

Let me know if you need anything more,

emilycaitlin xx

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Emilycaitlin

thanks for your message

I have tried the rugby tackle with Zachary but he just screams he wont attach to it really on the occasions he has he will have about 2 sucks and then another screaming match.

The mw came this morning as we had the worst night with him last night, she checked position but it appears he isnt really getting very much from either side

We had a chat and she suggested keep trying him on alternate breasts each feed, but if hes not happy then to express which i have done for the last two feeds and he is much much happier, so i am swaying to the opinion of expressing milk for him if he still cant get any i would much rather be doing that than giving up with the breast for him altogether and switching to formula (last resort for me)

I am hopefully going to a breastfeeeding support group next thursday all being well

Thanks again
Em

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
The support group wil be a really big help to you.  You may find that if you are expressing completely, that you get a bit less milk than Zachary would get from sucking,  but expressing for now will get keep your supply going until you get sorted,

emilycaitlin xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.