Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am at my wits end, our 9 month old son started with a cold last Monday which has now developed into a chest infection after numerous visits to the docs inbetween this time. They have finally given us amoxycillin and am hoping to see an improvement but it is a nightmare trying to get him to drink or eat anything  :(  he just screams at everything even though we are giving calpol for pain. Sleep deprivation is kicking in now as the cough and pain is waking him.

Any mums out there with experience or advice would be much appreciated please.....

Thanks
Kelly

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi

Aw hun  ^hugme^

Give calpol and neurofen (neurofen works better for us) 1/2 hour before food or drinks
Give anything that will tempt him fluid wise. Mine go off milk when they have a cough, so I give very dilute squash  ;)
Ice cream, jelly, anything like that that contains water may tempt him and keep him hydrated or let him suck on an ice lolly
I do give Medised when it disturbs their sleep too. I know it's now for over 6's but it was for 3 months + and was given for many years to that age group safely, but it's what you feel comfortable with
A wet towel on the radiator helps to humidify the room
If his nose is blocked I swear by Boots electric vapouriser to help them breath better
If you can tilt the cot up at the head end so he is not totally flat

Keep an eye on nappies and make sure they are wet. If nothing for 12 hours ring your GP

Hopefully with the antibiotics will kick in soon xxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Kelly

My son has had 2 chest infections in the last 2 months, the first was treated with amoxycillin and the 2nd with a different antibiotic.  He also refused food apart from occassional yoghurts and oddly quavers(?!).  I think during the last infection he was down to drinking about 7oz a day. I did find he drank most of that at night when he was coughing (I gave him water at night).  He did lose loads of weight, about 2lb I think and he only weighs 21lbs usually.  Once he started feeling better his appetite came back and has put most of the weight back on over a few weeks.

It's so horrible when they're poorly and miserable, I was so worried I lost my appetite too!  He should start improving quite quickly once the antibiotics kick in, I think it was after a couple of days so I hope your LO starts to perk up.  I felt like he was either crying, coughing or sleeping and it's tough.  The doctors are not at all concerned over not eating, even when mine hadn't eaten much for nearly 2 weeks.  Watch out for dehydration but I find mine gets by on really quite a small amount of fluid.

My GP did refer us to the childrens hospital just to get a chest xray and they were fab there, if you are at all worried you can go straight there even if just for reassurance.

Let us know how he gets on xx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just read Slinkyfish's post, we also did the wet towel on radiator, raised the mattress by putting a pillow under one end and used a karvol plug in as well as vicks on his chest.  DS would then sleep ok until early hours of the morning then he would sleep with me propped up until morning.  Not great sleep for me but he wasn't too bad!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your advice and support  :) 

The antibiotics must have kicked in because he is eating again which is fab, still not over keen on his milk or water but not sure if the antibiotics may have upset his tummy a little. Hopefully we will be on the way back to normal, fingers crossed. Me & hubby are like Zombies as he has not been sleeping well at all.

Got the karvol plug in and the calpol one too so been alternating with these. Didnt know that I could still give calpol and neurofen whilst on antibiotics  ^idiot^ so more little fella must have still been in pain as once I started with these was when I started to see more of an improvement. Got radiator covers so have put a bowl of water on the top and hopefully that will do the trick to keep moisture in the air with having heating on constantly because of stupidly cold winter weather  :)

xxxx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to hear he's feeling a bit better, I'm sure the calpol is helping along with the antibiotics.  When we went to the children's hospital the first thing they gave DS was Calpol to help with his temperature.  You can alternate Calpol with Calprofen (or equivalent) too if you want to, I find that's better for my DS than just sticking with one type if he's feeling really poorly.
Kelly xx

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Good news he's on the mend. One of mine has Chronic Lung Disease so we have a lot of chest infections, fluid refusals etc and it isn't fun, so pleased to hear he's better xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts