Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to start treatment in Barbados soon,would like information from any members regarding their experience there.  Will probably need an egg donor and it is probably one of the few places except the States that would have an afro-caribbean donor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi there

My husband and I are thinking of having ICSI in Barbados but can't find any reviews on net, anyone out there got experience of the Barbados Fertility Centre?  Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi there

Excuse me I'm totally new to this site.  Has anyone been to Barbados for treatment?  I'm struggling to find any patient feedback/reviews anywhere.  Could someone please please help me out?  Thanks a lot

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi there

Sorry I haven't been but have considered the clinic out there as I visit each year to see partners family. l would also be interested in any feedback also.

Rusty

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi,

We had treatment at Barbados back in 2005, we would recommend them highly. Let me know if you have any specific questions! I remember when we were contemplating Barbados we couldn't find any other couples to speak to about their experience so we felt a bit daunted.

Emma

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi - we also had treatment in Barbados (April 2007) and cannot speak highly enough of the clinic, staff and of course location :)  I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone has.

x

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi

Thanks nics01 for posting this post as I am interested in knowing more about the Barbados clinic. I went to the infertility network conference and there was a leaflet in the gody bag on the clinic.

I am on the waiting list for DEIVF in the UK but have looked at their website and as I have said in an earlier post I visit quite regularly because my partner has family there.

How long did you need to stay in Barbados?

Did you communicate with them by email before hand?

Did you need to go over and have a consultation first?

I have lots more questions but cannot think of them all. Any info much appreciated. Please say if you would rather me pm either of you

Thanks

Rusty 

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Rusty, I'm happy to help in any way, I've answered your questions but let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

How long did you need to stay in Barbados? We stayed for 2 weeks, I had a private scan in the UK before leaving and then 1st scan in Barbados the day after we arrived. We flew back day after transfer but in hindsight I think I would of rather stayed a little longer.

Did you communicate with them by email before hand? I sent them an initial email and the nurse arranged for a consultation over the phone with Dr Skinner (who runs the clinic). They were always happy for me to call but I did most of the correspondence via email and they always got back immediately. By the time I'd started tx, me and my nurse were emailing each other at least 2-3 times a week! Nothing was ever too much trouble for them. I also received an email from them over 6 months after having tx just to see how I was which was lovely.

Did you need to go over and have a consultation first? No, just telephone and email correspondence.

Hope this helps and anything else just give me a shout.

Roxx

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for the info Roxanne, I never said congratulations on your BFP, you must be over the moon with twins on board

Thanks

Rusty

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello There - I'm on day 3 of stim at the Barbados Clinic.  This will be my second cycle here last one was April/May and although obviously a BFN I also couldn't recommend them highly enough. I've had a couple of cycle in the UK, 1 BFP (BB Sam 13mths).  The staff at the ************************* are great.  So supportive and nearly all female which personally i found easier.  Dr Skinner and Bethanne the fertility nurse and cycle coordinator explained what was happening at all phases why I was taking this drug in this doesage, what this scan meant, why the collection was done then and not on another day  - I really did feel like i was in control rather than just pumping myself full of drugs at their request.  I all so felt free from the pressure of prying (all be it kindly) eyes that I had at home - we simply told our friends and family we were taking a holiday. 
unfortunately DH can't be with me this time and is only flying in for his bit so it's a little harder this time and I'm on a higher does but I would rather do it that way than back in the UK anyday.  wish me luck and if you want any more info just let me know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Rusty and good luck if you do decide to use the clinic.

Boudicca - wishing you so much luck for this cycle  ^reiki^

Roxx

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi girls thanks so much for answering

Rusty I contacted the clinic via email for some info and they have been so helpful they've even put me in contact with some past patients (all fantastic comments)  I to was at Nat Infertility Day,  the email is in the brochure and it is Anna Hosford who contacts you.  Also thanks to EmmaK for the email.  I feel full of confidence to use this clinic, so far they've asked me for a copy of all my notes with some up to date bloods etc.  They've also advised me to have NK cell test done in UK (£680 at my local fert clinic yikes!), and antibodies test (don't know much about this subject yet, is it part of the same test?)  So they seem very forward thinking as my UK clinic wouldn't even entertain such investigations/treatment. 

If I could just ask, what happens if you get any frosties cost wise etc, do they have this facility? (I've never had any mind, but worth knowing), also  did anyone stay in the hotel in the brochure comfort package (Coral Mist i think), if so would you recommend it?  Oh one last question what sort of price am I looking at for drugs?  Thanks guys!

Congrats Roxane great news  ^congrats^, well done emma  ^blueted^ , and good luck Boudicca  ^reiki^ keep in touch xx

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Nics

I'm glad the first contact with the clinic has been so positive - you won't regret it.

I can't help with the frosties as I was a poor responder so unfortunately didn't have enough to freeze but I do know they do have the facility. 

We arranged our own accomodation as we found it cheaper that way, so again can't advise on the hotel.  Our hotel was lovely (Sandridge) but felt it was a bit too far from the clinic (about 25 mins by cab), it would have been fine if I responded ok and because of this I had to have quite a few trips to the clinic.  The hotel was all-inclusive and the food was amazing :)  It was probably a little cheaper as it wasn't so central.

I can't remember the total cost for drugs but I think it worked out roughly the same as the UK.

Good luck and any more questions just fire away!

Roxx

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Roxx

Thanks for that, the accommodation they offer does seem a little pricey for self catering so will look into other options thanks.  I too was a poor responder but just thought I'd ask just in case my body decides to behave in sunny Barbados!!! 

I've only had NHS cycles in UK so only had to pay prescription charges for drugs, not self fund the whole lot so no idea of cost.  I've got my GP on board whos's been great and said he may be able to help with some costs of drugs/investigations as I've already been treated on NHS, which is good news. 

I'll investigate further and post any info i get.  Speak soon off to work now booooo!!

nics x

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi nics

The clinic is located on the south coast so you should try and book a hotel in that area as opposed to the west coast where a lot of the hotels are.  A lot of the hotels down there are all inclusive, and this is good value as eating out and buying in are xpensive in Barbados.  If your looking into flights BA and virgin fly out daily and Xcel weekly.  they are quiet expensive just now but in sept they will go down again until about mid nov when they get crazy money until 2nd week Jan.  We've had a house here for a few years and  I can't tell you enough what lovely island it is and how nice the people are.  If there's anymore info you want on bbdos let me know.   

BTW it's Kadooment day here - basically a massive carnival and street party.  not feeling terribly festive so staying at the house with DS and eating icecream

PSI'm a poor responder too so didn't get to the frosties stage but i did discuss this possibilty with clinic and it is certainly available. 

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks Boudicca thats really helpfull, I'll have a good look at hotels in that area, my worry is that I've always had my stimm time extended a few days as follicles have been slow to mature, so not sure what would happen about return flights ect if this happened again.  The clinic have also given me a list of hotels recommended by other patients which I though was a nice idea.  All inclusive does seem the better option.  We were thinkin of going mid November/early Dec as well so may leave till the new year, or may even go mad and go before November!!

Anna at the clinic said it was carnival week there sounds like loads of fun, obviously not for you on mega dose drugs you poor thing.  How are you finding the stimulating drugs on the whole?  I too will be on horse strength menopur this time (7 amps I think!!) so not sure what to expect.

Did you use the relaxation package on offer?  Sounds like a good idea is it value for money?

Enjoy your ice cream ya lucky thing the weather is terrible here!!   ^rain^

·
Registered
82 Posts
I didn't use the relaxation package because i was staying at our house so i just made my own booking at various spas.  I don't know about value for money but i think it's a good idea.  Not only is it good for you on the whole ivf trip but one of  the biggest problems of doing a cycle out here is you are literally waiting to either scan, inject, EC  - etc.  You don't have any of the distrations of home so a daily massage or meditation appt. stops you going mad.  Having said all that i haven't booked anything yet this time - i guess I'm just hibernating a bit as i feel very negative about this cycle. :( :( :(

As i said before end Nov is when the flight prices start to go up - but if you do find yourself out here then give me a shout as I'm normally out here at some point round that period (obviously only if you want).

Anna is the lovely Irish nurse?  she'll be able to put your mind at ease about extra stimming days - it's something they deal with all the time. Of course if your really concerned you can always buy a flexible ticket but the are mega money.  I've been out here for 6 weeks so i"ve done all my DR and scans here but i think they start you off in the UK normally so when you get out here your already stimming and i think this gives them enough time to play with.

well it"s just gone 7pm here so time for the lovely menopur all 6 amps and a nice big injection of heparin - i remember when it was chilled glass of rose!!!.

nite all

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi there,

I am 14 wks pg after my 3rd cycle of tx in Barbados.  Totally agree that it is cheaper to book your own accomodation and flight and after staying in the south and on the west coast it is a hundred times easier, quicker and less stressful staying down the south.

Like all the other girls, I can't speak highly enough of everyone at the clinic.  You can print off all the prices of all the individual txs on the website (ref frosties).

I can highly recommend Barbados beach club.  Close to the clinic and good value as is sandy bay beach club. 

As the other girls have said I am happy to answer any questions for you.

Good luck.

Keeks xxx

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Keeks, have just read your news - huge congratulations to you, I'm thrilled ^congrats^ so glad it was successful in Barbados :)

Roxx

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just noticed your ticker as well Rox.  ^afro^ ^clapping^ ^clapping^ ^banana^ ^Exercise!2^ ^jumpin^ ^jumpin^ ^congrats^ ^congrats^

I am so pleased for you. ;D ;D  Looks like this year was the year for us rather than last year.

Keeks xxx

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.