Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just had an aweful panic, I was bathing my 2 babies on my own as DP is at work and my youngest boy, who is 5 months, slipped off his plastic bath seat and went under the water, he wasn't there for long but he was so frightened, he didn't breathe for a few seconds when I picked him out, I had to give him a pat on the back to get him breathing, then he went hysterical and then I knew he was ok, it was so frightening though and I feel aweful now. I knew he was getting too big for his support but he is not sitting up so he is not ready for the next stage, which is the seat. I do not know now what to put him in in the bath? What should I use from now until he is able to sit up, can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks
jojox

·
Registered
574 Posts
Jojo - how horrible - well done for remaining calm (if only externally!) and dealing with a scary situation. I've never done my two at once. We have the Safety First swivel bath seats and I'm pretty sure we started using before they could sit upright on their own. They can lean against the back of the seat, so they were fine for us (still using at 1 yr and dreading the day they realise they could now climb out.) In fact I've just looked them up and it says from 5 months! I'd recommend them.

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
Aww Jo Jo
Massive hugs hun (((((((((((hug)))))))))))
What a scary incident for you both ^hugme^  ^hugme^ ^hugme^
at around 5/6 months I had a similar incident with Abbie as she was just so wriggly at that stage!
I nearly went out and bought a seat as I was sure I couldn't manage to bath her any longer without one
but hand on heart within 2 weeks she was fine much less wriggly and is now very confident,
so I guess I am saying I don't think you need another seat,
just your arms and maybe bath them separately  :-\
which I hope other mummies with 2 little ones can help you work out the logistics of!  ^pray^
The going under water was a nasty shock for you both and hopefully one that wont happen again you did all the right things so don't beat yourself up OK  :-*
A tip I've picked up from water babies is to say their name, ready , Go and then pause and splash water over their face, to get them used to it! ( you can increase the amount of water you pour and in the swimming pool you may follow it with a dunking one day!
try not to let this incident scare either of you for bath times  ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Jojo,

what an awful experience for you, I would have felt sick afterwards. I hope it doesnt put him off having a bath.

I've just bought an Aquapod from Mothercare so that my little one has help sitting up - he cant do that on his own yet, but is safe in the bath and I dont have to hold him all the time and he can splash about.

I havent used it yet, so cant comment on how good it is.

Cozy
:)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies, i am feeling bad but trying not to punish myself. I keep going to check him in his cot but he is sound asleep.
I am very nervous about bathing him again in his support, I might try and find a safety seat on ebay, i have an aquapod that DD used but it doesn't have sides so not ideal for another few months. I have to have a fair bit of water in the bath as my house is old and drafty and i am conscious of them getting cold.??
Thanks again
jojox

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Oh hunny please don't beat yourself up, little one will have come to no harm.

I know your confidence will be rocked for a while, but you did the right thing and your little one is sleeping peacefully!  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

With my little one I now bath him in the bath with me. Makes it easier, I put his towel on a play mat on the floor of the bathroom and I just have a bath robe that i put on when i get out so I can dry him. means I not only have my hands to hold him but my whole body. Although not sure how this would work with a toddler too!

All I will say is don't beat yourself up little one will be fine, we've dunked our boy several times in the swimming pool and he's fine! They teach you if the babies do hold there breath after (many do) just blow in their face

^hugme^ ^hugme^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.