Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Now I know I'm 40 now but am I getting like my Mum?  ^scared^

Today I was in the playground talking to Meg's best friend's Mum. Meg and her friend are 8 by the way. This Mum asked me I Meg had got any valentine's cards yet. I said no. She told me her daughter had already got one from a boy in their class and he'd also emailed her to see if she'd got it via ********!

Firstly, they're 8!
Secondly, although Meg has a boy in her class she plays with a lot, she doesn't want to send one as they are friends and I'm not about to disagree with that!
Thirdly, ********!!?

Is it me or are they being encouraged to grow up too fast?  :-\

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
You are not old fashioned at all , well if you are i must be too cause I'm of the same opinion .
But ********  :eek: at 8  ^scared^ - TBH i think thats very irresponsible parenting .

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
i agree. After all what's happened on the news with ** and kiddies there should be an over 16 age limit. When i was 8 i was playing with sindy dolls not updating my status.

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
No you not old fashioned at all.  I totally agree and  don't like the idea of ******** for children at all, let her be 8 and enjoy it.

I think I'm old  fashioned as b's  friends mums are so and so's mum rather than using the mums 1st name

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
No I wouldn't say you are old fashioned. Kids are growing up way too fast, no time to be silly and just be kids. I thought boys were still yuk (and vica versa) at 8???

Also there is an age restriction of 13 on ** and that is for a good reason.

I think mum's being too laid back about this sort of thing that is causing kids to think its acceptable to act 16 at 10 iykwim.

x

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Not old fashioned at all!! Children are actively encouraged to be too old too quick and it's wrong :(.

Enjoy your little girl. I intend to keep mine as innocent as possible for as long as possible xxx

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've not even got a child yet and agree!!

** has an age restriction of 13 so that child of 8 should definately not be on it, and to be honest I think 13 is too young.
My niece is 13 going on 16 and it's scary.  She is on ** all the time and sometimes forgets her Auntie, Dad, Grandad etc are all her friends on it, I'm for ever having quiet words with her about suitability.

Definately think it's irresponsible parenting of the mother who has an 8 year old on it and encouraging valentine day cards!!!

from the response you have above there are a lot of "old fashioned" mothers out there still...

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
For an 8 yr old to have a ** profile they have to be lying about the DOB as it does check

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I have sent my DD a card for around 2 or 3 years she has no idea its me though. She asks family members to wright then she can see if its the same. But she almost 12 now

As for ******** not a hope in hells chance is she getting it not even at 13. I don't even have it. Some 1 told me there is a toddler ** omg what is the world coming 2. A girl from the next town came to this town to meet a lad. The same lad went on to murder some on off **. I think 8yrs old is wrong on more than 1 level

Cards I don't mind but ** NEVER

Kelli

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you are old fashioned i must be positively prehistoric! I see the harm ** does to some of the kids i teach on a regular basis, bullying etc and they are in their teens! Why parents encourage their kids to grow up so fast is beyond me! The daughter of a friend of mine was invited to a pool party. No problem with that except they were being picked up in a limo, without parental supervision!! My friend politely declined. Think the world is going mad! x

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
No that is young. I think when my boys are old enough there will be restictions on using computers. For example they will only be able to use them in family areas (where i can check up on what they are doing easily) I will be a "FRIEND" on ** and will know there pass word so i can check. etc
I do think its the way of world now (whether we like it or not!) "In my day" we didn't even have computers at school! Let alone mobile phones! And ** wasn't even invented!

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank goodness for that!

I feel very strongly that Meg needs to stay a little girl for as long as possible and enjoy her childhood! So many of her friends are so into fashion,  boys and make up. The odd thing is this child's mum is an older mum with a responsible job, so very intelligent and I was surprised to hear her daughter is doing all this and watching things like Eastenders too. No way would Meg be allowed to watch that, anyway she's in bed by 7.30 on a school night. One of the other Mum's was saying this child and a few others in her class go to holy communion classes dressed like they are off to a night club and now her DD wants to do the same. She too is saying no, so we're sticking together!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer and let me know I am not alone on this one xxx

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
nightclub outfits at holy communion. Reminds me of last weeks episode of gypsy wedding. 6yr olds dressed like 18 yr old with raunchy dancing too.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I missed it!!! Everyone at work has been talking about that program!

G

·
She's 8, s little girl and should be encouraged to be her age.  I know several of my friends let their DD's wear nail varnish and they aren't even 3!  No way is mine getting her hands on that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Hiya

Well I am so glad its not just me then !! phew. I wish we lived in victorian times sometimes when palying was playing etc etc. Dont get me started on My Bug Fat Gypsie wedding,world would be a better place witout them - sorry  :eek: ::)

Oliver my eldest is 9 nearly 10 and some people have been asking me when im going to let him walk to school on his own aarrrggghhhhhh.

I know they need to grow up and learn things but iots done the wrong way alot of the time and then we are mad eout to be the "bad" ones for being too strict.

I love my kids and they will do things when me and my husband and they are ready and not a moment sooner

Kelly x

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I agree, im afraid, children are not allowed to be children for long enough these days.  At 8 years old i didnt even want to sit next to a boy in class never mind send them valentines cards.  ( and is it me or is it too early for valentines anyway??!!)

At 8 years old i was playing with barbie dolls and riding my bike, but when i look around at 8 year old girls now, theyre all skulking about wearing makeup, talking about boys, - and boys are wearing hoodies and "hanging around" - things that teenagers do!!  Quit frankly it scares me, i want both my children to have a childhood that lasts until their teens.

I dont let my 2 watch any adult programs/soaps  at all, i dont even watch the news if theyre around, or on the rare occassion i do catch the headlines i immediately turn it off if something horrible somes on & i make DH turn the xbox off when theyre around.  Must make me old fashioned too then ..........

S
xx

·
Registered
370 Posts
Another old-fashioned mum here!

Totally agree with everything people have said so far - kids grow up WAY too quickly for my liking these days. My two are still not yet 5 and DH unearthed our old Playstation 1 from the attic for them to play on last week - now DS wants to play karate games all day, resulting in tantrums when I say no. The language on those games is awful.

As for **, I'm a teacher and I absolutely refuse to be friends with any of my students - they are all under age and I dont get what their parents are thinking, letting them join (maybe they dont know?). Apart from me wanting to keep my privacy (I do have a life outside school!) ** is far too dangerous for children and I even think 13 is too young.

And dont get me started on little girls clothes....! I absolutely HATE the way young girls are dressed here (it's My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding everyday!) I've only just let DD have a pair of 'clippety clop' dressing-up shoes to play with in the house, let alone wear outside.

Lycra? Mini-skirts? Biker boots? Forget it!

Nicky xx

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Another prehistoric Mummy here too  ;D  there will be no ** for my 2 until they are at least 16 and I will also have their passwords

As for Valentines, my DD is only 5 and I would be mortified if she was sent one anyway.  Something I don't agree with is the marketing of these cards, I've seen them in well know card shops and they say things like "To My Daddy on Valentines"  sorry but to me Valentines is about a completely different sort of love.  I certainly don't associate Valentines with children and their parents  :( .  I won't be sending my DD or DS one from either myself of their Daddy! (if its a joke not signed by the parent/child I suppose thats different iykwim!)

xx

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not old fashioned at all, 8yrs old and valentines cards seems totally wrong  ???

and as for ******** I hope my twins take as long as I did to understand it and theres no way they will be having ******** profiles at that age.

I agree with Mish at least 16 and I would have to know the password!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts