Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our son turned 3 on Saturday.  Back in January we tried toilet training but he had no interest what so ever.  We keep asking, and his daycare tries, but the feeligns towards training hasn't changed.  I worry that he'll never get there, but of course we know that he won't be going to high school in diapers.

Dh and I are thinking of moving him out of his crib into a twin bed.  I'd also like to attempt the toilet training again (even though I don't have much hope).  I don't want to start the two up at the same time as that's too many changes.  So just wondering your opinion...should we just go for the bed change now and then attempt toilet training...which probably won't be until the summer or so?  Or should we keep on the toilet trainign and keep him in a crib?  In once sense, i guess it'll be easier to toilet train if he's in a bed as he'll be able to get out to use the toilet himself once he's ready.  And I was worried or losing out change table as we'd get him a whole new dresser, desk, etc), but we can probably move the change table into our spare room so can use it there.  Then there's the other side where he's getting older and it's silly that he's still not trained.

Note:  He didn't crawl until 13 months and walk until 18 months so he's always been behind in motor developmental things (but ahead in verbal and mental stuff).

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi hun  :)

My instinct would be to get him into a bed first, especially as he hasn't shown an interst in toilet training yet.

Like you say, it'll be easier for him to get out of bed himself when he is ready for using the toilet.

Love Jo xx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I agree, bed first & then the potty training. Unless he's showing signs of wanting to potty train then I think it would just cause more hassle. If you can reward him for the new bed & staying in it & it works perhaps you can use the same method for the potty training. Maybe he would feel less under pressure to train if he's achieved something else first???

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jo and professor's waffle, thanks for your respones.  Sounds like bed first is the better way to go.  It's amazing, our son has such a sweet tooth yet rewarding toilet training with smarties didn't work..but you're right..maybe if he's proud of moving to a big bed then he'll want to toilet train.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts