Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls - just dusting my L plates off in the hope that we will be welcoming our daughters into our home soon :eek:.

***** will be 2 in November and ******* will be 1 in November.  I am planning on buying cot beds for them both as ***** is still in her cot.  I plan to change it to a bed whilst I am on adoption leave and then tackle potty training!!!

What I want to know is in your opinion what is best, a cot bed duvet or a cot bed quilt?  Aldo, does anyone know anywhere (either high street or on the net) who have a good range and at reasonable prices?

Thanks
Karen x

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hi Karen
This is so exciting! Hope your girls are home in time for their birthdays!

I would use sheets and blankets for the 1 year old for a bit, especially in a cot. And as Woppa says, those grobag things are fab. They need less covers than us oldies! The cotbed duvet would be my preference, rather than a quilt. Great Little Trading Company sell these brilliant things to hold the duvet in place over them in case they are the kick off the covers type like Laura was!

We got all our stuff in John Lewis - who seem to always promote the safety angle too. We recently bought a full single duvet for Laura and he wouldn't sell us more than a low tog because children can overheat in adult duvets. Thought that was thoughtful of them/him.

Fee xxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Karen

How exciting is this?  ;D ;D 

I would also recommend a grobag for the 1 year old - although in saying this, she may not settle in on if she's not used to it.  It is recommend that babies are put in sleeping bags as early as possible to get them used to them, so she may be better off with a duvet - which of course are safe from 1 year onwards.  I'm sorry, but I'm being a thicko here and am not really sure about the difference between a duvet and a quilt - thought they were the same thing  ^stupid^  Is it that one needs covers added to it and the other is an all in one.  I bought an all in one type for Jack and he got on great with it - sleeping bags weren't around when he was a baby and so he moved from sheets and blankets to the quilt and never kicked it off.  In fact, he loved to get 'snuggly' in it and always stayed tucked under.  Still does now  :) 

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi girls,

I was wondering what age is it safe to introduce pillows to babies cots. Jessica is a year old now and any soft toys she takes to bed with her such as small Tigger and Piglet, she always huge to her and ends up pulling them under her chin as if using them for a pillow.

Any suggestions or advice?????????

Love Angexxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Ange, I got a quilt and pillow for Jack once was one.  They're perfectly safe from this age.  I bought a small baby pillow from Mothercare though that was a Coolmax variety, so it would absorb any sweat away from Jack if he did get hot.  Didn't start using an ordinary sized pillow until he moved into a bed. 

You also need to make sure you get a low tog quilt, ie. summer weight and then just adjust nightwear depending on the temperature of the bedroom. 

Love

Jayne x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts