Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I don't often get time to reply to posts these days between work and baby, but Sassy I'm so with you on this one!

When I was pregnant at age 47 (nearly 2 years ago now), I was big but blooming.  Everyone asked if I was going to have another after this one!  Baby was born 3 days before my 48th birthday.  Then as I started to go out with baby I was always being mistaken for his granny...in shops and even at the doctors!  To make it worse I was really ill and in pain post birth so had to use a crutch and most of my hair fell out...I just looked and felt so old so can't blame anyone for those comments then but it still grates when I hear them now as I am crutch-free and hair all grown and hairdresser blonde again  ;D

In terms of coping, I had to keep reminding myself that the person who made the comment will feel worse as I always (nicely :)) put them straight...

I also struggled to meet other new mums my age - in fact only meeting 3 in their very early 40s which was the nearest I could get to my age.  I only ever went to Bookbug as there was less pressure to interact with others, other than pleasantries.  It was hard when off on mat leave but now back at work full time, I struggle to find time to meet up.  I'm in Scotland so not much use to you and I don't know of any other online resources but happy to keep in touch through FF.  Perhaps a 'mummies not grannies!' thread... ;D

Turia x

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Elbbob, my hair dresser advised me it was ok to dye your hair when pregnant provided you (a) use foils to minimise contact with the scalp and (b) do a patch test first as your skin can become more sensitive.  I have to say, however that I chose not to dye my hair.  It seemed a little sacrifice to make in the scheme of things, although I did miss being blonde and not grey!  ;D ;D ;D
Turia x

1 - 2 of 2 Posts