found out im pregnant again and the baby will be here in december  :) so i

will have a newborn and a 13month old  :eek: i know there are a lot of twin

prams out there but what is the best for a newborn and toddler so all you

mummys out there i would love some feedback  ^feedback^ thanks  :-*

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi FF,

Have you looked at PHil & Ted's?  It's one of the most popular baby+toddler combinations.  3-wheeler, baby can lie flat in cocoon (removable carry-cot) and toddler can sit in seat.  It's still only single width, so not too difficult to push. 

At the moment I have just the standard P&T, but I'm hoping I'll need to buy the second seat for it before too long  :)  My friend has one for two children about 18 months apart and says it's ideal. 

K x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
There was a thread recently about this - http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=132374.0

I know when I was looking at doubles I decided first what my budget was, then whether I wanted a side by side or tandem and went from there. Of course the other option is to use a sling for the baby to start with and stick with a single.

Have fun looking!!

Chux xx

p.s. Here are a couple of threads re. the Phil and Teds - http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=133308.0 and http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=101152.0

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Yep P&T is sat in our shed (doesn't fit in the house!)
WE used with Amy and now have the doubles kit waiting for LB to arrive....

Congrats on the PG :)

Deb

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
P&T here too just bought one for DD and baby that is on the way.  We looked at a few  the double nipper we liked but was too wide for front door.  We decided that we wanted something we could get thru the door so if little one is alsleep can bring them in and with the P&T if we get the caccoon then can just lift them out in that.  Our other options was the jane slalom pro but seemed big folded for our car and the I candy pear which like the P&T uses a single chasis ans can be turned back into a single when toddler wants to walk but at being a coulple of hundred more than the P&T couldn't justify the cost and have heard the seat ont he i candy doesn't take as heavy child as the P&T
Looked at the Maclaren which I know Chux has/had but we had a friend who had problems with hers so decided against that but that good for a smaller budget

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hi

Car boot space was a huge factor with me.  There are quite a few out there which will accomodate a baby and a toddler, but not a lot will fit in a Fiesta boot. 

For us too, we didn't want to spend a fortune on something which wasn't going to be used all the time.  Imogen still goes to nursery so when I'm at home with Matilda in the week, I still use the single buggy.  I also use a sling, but this isn't ideal if you're thinking of letting Evie out for a run around as you won't be able to keep up.  In the end I bought a fab second hand Nipper from Netmums (£40).  It fits sideways in the boot, not ideal, but at least we can get from A to B with it.  I'm also pleasantly surprised how light it is and it really does fit in most doorways.

Claire

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi, there will be a 2.5 yr age gap between ds1 and ds2, anyone have a similar gap and have the P&T double and how long have you used it for?

ds1 goes to nursery 2 days a week, 5 min walk away and tbh having a winter baby, i don't see us heading out to the shops together  or to the park an awful lot (more playdates coming over), so wonder if this would be a good investment although it is our double buggy of choice.

thanks!

p.s. vibe or sport??  :-\

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Hi supernoodle - congrats on your impending arrival.

Can't help on the age gap thing - I expect Mrs CW will be on here to advise soon as she had a similar gap ;D ;D

As for the sport or vibe, I was told by another mum recently that she was advised against the vibe as there are still some issues to be worked out with it, so better to stick to the tried and tested sport. It will be interesting to hear of anyone else here has the vibe and what they think ???

Hope that helps

Blu (owner of a P&T for just one LO [so far ^reiki^])

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Supernoodle - I had a look at a vibe in a shop. Its very 'urban' and does have some nice features (not having to remove the 2nd seat to fold up etc) but frankly I own an E3 (similar to the sport) and it feels so much more robust that I wouldn't honestly consider the vibe yet. However we do go 'offroading' and the vibe is very much catered towards the city lifestyle so I guess it depends on what you want.

The other thing to consider is that if you need spares/accessories for the vibe there aren't many (if any) second hand items around yet so you'll be paying full wack for them.

I'll be interested to see what your decision is.

Deb
(single P&T about to become a double with a 20 month age gap)

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I use a sport with a 19month age gap so can't comment on the older age gap but I could see mine been used when DD1 is 2.5, may be more as a single with the doubles kit in the car but I'd like the option of having a seat for her if needed.

Re Sport V Vibe- I've heard there are issues with the Vibe, it looks lovely one of the mums I go to baby group with has one and it is lovely but she has had a couple of issues with it so far and the lovely silver frame seems to have scratched rather easy.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I haven't got that age gap (I have 3.5 years) but I think if I had 2.5 year age gap I wouldn't bother with a double buggy - I'd be more tempted to just get a single bugggy with a buggy board for the eldest - least then you can take it on / off as needed.
At 2 and a half they normally like walking quite a lot and also like the excitement of a ride on the board!  I just dont think the amount of time a double buggy would be used for would justify buying one iykwim!
Best of luck with whatever you decide though!
Helen x

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi

There is 2.5 between my two!  My DD was a winter baby - first baby of the new year!  And I did lots of walking ... help kept the sanity going and lost me most of the baby weight.

I would have been lost without my P+T double.  DS is a great walker but I liked to walk to nursery which is 20 minutes with me pushing buggy .... and would take a good hour if DS was walking!  ;)

I also used it to go to the supermarket with (I walk there) there was no way I could have coped with pushing baby, carrying a basket and trying to control DS (who is very well behaved - but not perfect  ;) )

The buggy board is a good idea - but my friends children often jump off when they see something interesting, we live near a busy raod which I often walk down so not an option for me.

It will depend on how much walking you do and where .....

I am about to sell mine if you are ineterested (it is in fab condition and has lots of extras) ....  sadly now I am back at work walking to nursery isn't an option so I will be able to manage with my maclaren single.
All the best
DC

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Blu said:

Can't help on the age gap thing - I expect Mrs CW will be on here to advise soon as she had a similar gap ;D ;D

here I am ;D

2 yrs 4 months when DD was born - though I wasn't actually mobile for the first month ::) so 2 yrs 5 months before we were out walking! ;D
We're still using the P&T (we have a sport) and he's nearly 3. I can see us still using it til 3.5 probably.
Although (or perhaps because!) M has been a prolific walker since a very young age the reasons I still wanted a double buggy were:

The buggy keeps M under control as he wouldn't hold hands and would try to run off everywhere. Since it was the running everywhere that got me my broken ankle in the first place, I wasn't taking any chances later! The buggy just means I can keep them both together and know where they are! (although he can easily undo the harness, but he just chooses to stay in ;D )

I wouldn't have been able to keep him fully under control on a buggy board -though I have a friend with a smaller age gap who coped OK with a Mclaren and a buggy board. My boy would have got off his though.

Sometimes - well most of the time - I just need to get somewhere fast. It takes too long trying to manoeuvre a pushchair for one of them and hold hands and chase the other out of people's driveways or go and look at every leaf on a bush ;D In the double pushchair, I can just go!

M dropped his afternoon nap about a month before S was born ::) so the only chance I'd have of getting him to have a sleep was in the pushchair. In the first few months I actually timed walks to make him have a sleep for my sanity - if I timed it right I could get to the end of our road, he'd nod off and I could turn round and push them both back to the house and make myself a cup of tea ;D ;D Now it's just pot luck if he sleeps but it's good to have the option for him to lie back even if we're out and about.

As the P&T converts back to a single it's not a bad investment even if you take off the double seat after a few months.

Claire x

·
Registered
154 Posts
OOOOHHH THANKS LADIES, comments very useful, vibe is defo not then although i agree it does look good!

helen, yes that's my worry about getting the use out of the double p&t and justifying the cost... we have a buggy board we use with our maclarens xt that ds loves - well now he can see over the hood...  ;D 

i remember also struggling pushing our travel system around after my first cs due to the weight (so went to maclarens xt), so worry it could be worse this time pushing heavy ds1 along with ds2 in a double?! although luckily first 6 weeks at home i will have help....

DC - i don't plan to do lots of walking around in the cold with a newborn and toddler, anyway after i recover we do have a huge garden, nursery is 5 mins walk away, local tescos round the corner, and tbh what with credit crunch i am going to (TRY  ^reiki^) refrain from mindless purchases like i did with ds wandering in and out of shops iykwim!! but you got me thinking now!! 

Mrs CW - good point on the afternoon naps and could be useful in getting ds2 off too.... know what you mean about running after a toddler in and out of peoples drives and bushes!!  ;D  yes being able to use it as a single later on is good too, but i do love my maclarens single! another thing is i'm quite petite 5ft tall... pre preg just under 7 stone so will i look silly ::) ??! he he   

anyway 3 weekends left so we're going to do some test driving at mothercare next weekend, then decide after the birth and order online if we want one (DC if you still selling then i could be interested), but please keep your comments coming! i am really interested to hear of your experiences!

thanks again!xx

p.s. maybe i'll get a cheap maclarens double for emergency use but then i worry about being wide and getting in and out of places!!  any suggestions for cheaper tandem/doubles if we don't get the p&t?

x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
not a reccomendation more a not.  we have a Graco Duo sport  we got from freecycle at my mums house and used it for the 1st time this last weekend and my DD1 is only 21 months and not overly big just an average size and I was amazed how she filled the seat nearly already!! Glad we got it for free as can't see it lasting long.  We had to plan our route round the shops which i'm not used too with the P&T although the other day I couldn't get ny P&T with change bag on side round one shop the other day it was that crammed with things in the aisle!

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Hi,

I just scan read all this so sorry if I've missed the point!  ^idiot^ ;D

We have the P&T Sport and chose it over the Vibe mainly because:
* we felt it was much better value for money
* it handled better than the Vibe somehow
* the Vibe is too 'urban' for us
* it's more compact than the Vibe

We just have Jack at the moment (hopefully more one day!) and chose the P&T for it's ability to become a great in-line doubles pushchair... we love it as a single and don't see how that would change usig it as a double.  I wouldn't choose any other double that I've seen on the market - sooooo big and cumbersome!  All seem either too wide or too long to fit anywhere, let alone get them in the boot of the car! Plus, they don't look anywhere near as nice as the P&T.  ;) (no offence to anyone who has something else of course - just my opinion).

As for using it with the doubles kit I'd maybe check out the max weight/load capacities of each seat and work out what that means for your LOs in terms of how long you can use it for as a double.  I would have thought it'd be a good investment - what do you have at the mo tho? 

Regarding buggy boards, I thought they looked great and bought one for my sister when she had nephew #2 - it kind of worked but I don't think she ended up using it all that much for one reason or another.  :-\  Actually, I think it was because she had a Mountain Buggy and nephew #1 quickly grew sufficiently tall for his head to not fit under the handle bar when standing on the buggy board... pah!  How useful one is will depend on what buggy you have now I suppose, as well as how good your eldest is at standing still when told!  ;) ;D

Good luck with your decisions and the new addition to your family of course.  :)
Trip xx

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Ok, now that the house move, Christmas, and E's birthday is out of the way it's time to seriously concentrate on the new baby and all the paraphernalia we'll need. 

I had it in mind that a Phil & Ted's would be our best bet but it occurred to me today that it would be easier if we had a pushchair where you can attach a car seat for when we're dropping B off at playgroup in the morning.  We have a Bugaboo Frog so that in itself wouldn't be a problem except that E definitely isn't yet ready to use a buggy board (neither am I ready for him to use one yet, but that's another story!).  So really we need a double pushchair that will take one car seat as well as either a carrycot or a seat that lies flat.  Is there such a thing?  I'm thinking that maybe one of the Jane's will do that but have never had one or seen one up close.  Of course, the absolute perfect pushchair would do all this plus take a buggy board for when B gets tired!  Am I asking too much do you think? ;D

Shelley, sorry to direct this at you but I've a feeling you may have some answers for me! :)  How do you work it on the school run, etc?

Oh, one more thing... ideally it would be a tandem pushchair as my mischievious little E wouldn't be able to resist poking and 'cuddling' our newest addition when he arrives. ::)

All advice welcome!
Pet x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
;D ;D ;D  Pet and you the pushchair princess at least  ;D

The phil and teds has an adaptor so you can put a maxi cosi seat on top to make it a travel system whilst still fitting another child in a seat underneath.
The rest of the time you can use it in flat or cocoon mode which is a flat carry cot - with or without 2nd child on top.

Is that what you need?

Claire x

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
Hiya

The iCandy Pear is a one in front of the other (is that a tandem? I dont know...) - it comes with adaptors for a maxi cosy seat, you can get a carry cot, it has 2 seats, 1 for the toddler & 1 for when the baby gets to 6 months. Isnt the smallest thing to fold flat but istn too bad and also (as I discovered today) when you do want to get a buggy board they fit quite easily. Though you cant really fit the buggy board on with 2 kids on board, it will fix on the pram but its not very easy for the rug rat to stand/hold on as the 2nd seat is a bit in the way.

All bits of the pram can also face me or face away which was my main bug bare, and the reason I didnt go with the P&T which was my 1st choice.  I found it quite practical cos it will easily be either a 1 or 2 child pram (like the P&T) so you dont then get stuck with a 2 child pram when the older one has out grown the seat & wants to walk/ride. The Jane I think is static 2 child....

Its pricey though, I paid £479 + £60 for the carry cot bits. Thats the seats, wheels/chassis, rain covers & sub frame so it can be for 1 or 2 kids - cosy toes are extra.

Good luck
Rach
x

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Mrs CW said:
;D ;D ;D Pet and you the pushchair princess at least ;D
I know!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ooh Clare, I didn't know the P&T could take a car seat as well... that puts that back in the picture then - thanks. :)

Will have a look at the iCandy Pear too, thanks Rach x

Any other suggestions?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts