Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, sorry can I randomly pick your brains as you are experts.      I started BFing from birth but as I had an emergency c-section I spent the first few days in hospital having each feed/latch checked and now I'm home on my own I do ask my mw for support each time she's visited but I am still having doubts.    My 5 day old baby son was weighed today and has only lost 2% of his birthweight so I'm happy.  My boobs are very big (36H) and are now heavy and full so big as big can be.

When he latches on I let him make his own way and fuss cos he "seems" to know what he's doing and I do get sucking and swallowing noises once he's on properly and his jaw moves. The thing is that it doesn't look like there's much nipple in there. There's the whole of the middle stick out part and then I guess 1cm round, I try to put more in but he spits out until he's comfy I guess. I just don't think he can get any more in his mouth cos I am so huge. I feel the tugging when he sucks but when he finishes there's no spillage of milk and I can't see any milk in his mouth or dribbling. He's full of wind/trumps and so I am a bit worried he's sucking on nothing. How can I tell that something/enough is coming out? I squeezed and there are drops of milk.

Also, he seems to have longer feeds in the morning but evenings seem sporadic - does this seem right to you???

Last night/today;
10pm - 30 mins
1.50am - 40 mins
7am - 30 mins (no, he didn't sleep that long he fussed on the boob for ages at 3am and fell asleep on the boob without sucking)

8am - 30 mins
10am - 40 mins
2.20 - 20 mins
3pm - 20 mins
6pm - 20 mins
9pm - 10 mins
10pm - 15 mins

He falls asleep on the boob and spits out naturally, I try to reintroduce by squeezing the milk out and offering to his lips but he clamps shut. Am I doing this right? I know it's early days but I am a bit panicky about it. I am passionate about carrying on but I don't know whether expressing and then feeding would make me feel better that I know he's getting food at even intervals in the day.

In between feeds he normally sleeps and only cries/fusses if he's wet or if we need to change him/ undress him. Is he supposed to be "awake" and just lying there for any length of time because he probably only does that for a few (under 5) minutes before he cries or falls asleep.

I do try and wind him after the feed but he trumps and burps a lot anyway.

What do you think?????

Bellini xxx

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Just time for a quickie...

Sounds like you both are doing GREAT! Reassure yourself with his contentment, his production of wet and soiled diapers (I posted somewhere yonks ago about the record sheet I used to keep which helped keep me sane when learning to accept that the magic invisible was enough!), and if it's not causing you discomfort the latch must be fine.  Feeding will be SO sporadic in these early days - just do what you fee is right and you'll both be fine.

Good luck and enjoy!
Trip xx

PS when folk say new babies eat, sleep and poop they aren't joking!  Once you've both found your groove (took me and J about 6 weeks to feel really au fait with it all) you could try encouraging a little more awake time on a play mat etc - but it really is very early days so I'd just enjoy the nursing and teh resting in between if you can! 

PPS You will love it or hate it but I found the guidance offered in the Gina Ford Contented Little Baby book to be just what I needed, esp. the example schedules for breast fed babies at certain ages, tho I didn't muck about with any expressing or anything. I never ever followed it as such but the suggested timings for naps etc were helpful for me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much for your quick reply.

Adam has a bit of a sore bottom already (God, I feel so guilty!) so we had nappy off time today and OMG mustard poop and wees everywhere!!! LOL  ;D

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Aaah, yes! Those were the days!

We managed to escape without too much sore botty by almost always putting a little blob of vaseline on J's clean nappy (more or less in the bum area) and using that to smear it all around his little bum (crease and cheeks!) before actually putting the nappy on. It either worked like a dream or J was lucky and just didn't get too many bouts of sore bottom! This was a tip from the hospital where we had him.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your little man and welcome to this board!
It sounds like you're both doing amazingly well. I agree with Chux about the latch, if it doesn't hurt then the chances are it's just fine. The weight loss was great, another indication that you're doing great!
Don't worry about him sleeping a lot. Being born is a stressful and tiring thing so he's just doing what comes naturally.
In terms of a routine didn't get hung up on getting into any kind of strict routine during the day, just fed Kara on demand (her tummy knew she was hungry better than a clock), I just enjoyed her and let her find her own rhythm. The only time we had routine was leading up to bed time to help her learn the difference between night and day.
But every parent finds their own way, and you'll find yours.
My biggest tip in these early days would be to nap whenever your little man naps. He won't sleep so much as the days go on and you need all the time you can get to heal after the birth.
you should be discharged from the midwives about 10 days after the birth and then you'll be handed over to the health visitors, not all health visitors are fully trained with breastfeeding but there is all manner of expert breastfeeding knowledge out there. Ones that I have got a lot from are this board, La Leche League, my local bosom buddies group and the KellyMom website. Feel free to come on here and ask whenever you need help, reassurance or signposting.
Looking forward to hearing all about your little man and your breastfeeding journey!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I am not having pain as such. My nipples did start to get very sore and cracked but I've been using Lasinoh which has been fab. The initial latch takes my breath away but once he starts sucking then it's only a kinda odd sucking sensation which is reasonably comfortable but not totally pain free.

I'll keep going - I'm stubborn like that. Just a shame that I'm housebound until my scar heals or I'd go to one ofthose mum2 mum groups.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Hmmm - if the pain doesn't go away soon you might want to try working on getting a better latch, tho it's impossible to say much more without seeing what you and your bubba are doing.  ::)  There's a chance the discomfort is hanging over from an initially poor latch which is actually ok now but don't let it go on too long without pinpointing the cause and a solution.  ^hugme^  I'm speaking from experience having endured a horribly cracked nipple (just the right one - lefty was fine!) for the first three months, so I know all too well that breathtaking flash of pain that makes your toes curl and eases into vague discomfort for the rest of the nursing session. I'm fairly sure, for me, it came about during the week of BFing when my boobs went crazy and Jack had trouble latching.  It then endured simply because there was no rest for it! 3-months on and I finally used a nipple shield for a week or so just to give me poor nip the chance to mend and it did - we went on to do almost 20months of BFing and I didn't have any more trouble, thank goodness! 

Like Tracey I'm happy to offer support/guidance as best I can if/when you feel you need it. 

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi hun

sounds like you are doing amazingly, so well done ^bow^

I did find it took about 2 weeks for me to get used to the feeling of my dd latching on as its such a strong suck however like trip i too suffered with cracked nipples and remember the 'toe curl' well! so maybe get your latch checked just to be on the safe side as you dont want to end up with any lasting damage!

so pleased you have found lansinoh, its expensive but it saved me from giving up feeding, its amazing  ;)

we're all hear for you hun, anytime you need us

good luck and you're doing so well

love
Suze xx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I remember panicking that E was only feeding for 5mins every hour!! As the others have said, as long as he is producing plenty of wet nappies, then he's getting milk.

Latching - it used to be toe curling when E latched on. I had him checked for Tongue tie, treated for thrush, I was treated for mastitis and I got his general latch checked out at a babycafe. All fine and the consensus of opinion was that it is common for the initial latch to be painful but as long as the pain doesn't last during the feed then it's fine. Now, we don't have any pain - I've probably got nips of leather now!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts