Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi all,
Bit of a
Sorry been a bit busy...giving birth! Really.
My consultants got very agitated at my scans, as they seemed to be all over the place. The last scan showed a drop of 25 centiles on the abdominal cavity measurement. Because I was high risk, clotting disorder and age they pushed for han early induction to avoid stillbirth. I was starting to panic a bit, although the fetal doppler and heartbeat were both good and I was fine health wise.
So I went in and had my waters broken - nothing. Then a pitocin drip and my lovely girl was born 36 +6 weighing 6lbs 1oz about three hours later.
Was pretty intense, had gas and air in active labour and a small cut but she didn't need any help out and latched on straight away.
She is absolutely gorgeous, I’m so taken her, she’s hilarious, tiny, with loads of dark hair and a button nose and makes hysterical faces at me whenver she is awake.
Because she wasn’t 37 weeks we were kept in for a few days as a matter of routine. I was not packed for that! However, she was monitored and it probably saved us being readmitted as she had/has jaundice, although she is pretty alert/feeding.
So basically, I gave birth before even starting maternity leave, so saved some money there :0) Finally my luck has changed.
In some ways I wish I had pushed to keep her in longer, but I was getting fed up with pregnancy and can't deny that I am glad it is over.
I cant believe how great I feel to be normal again, eat what I want, in normal quantities, put on my socks without falling over, wear normal clothes (well, breastfeeding tops). You are going to love it.
Better get some sleep, will be up several times tonight, so better turn off the light.
Hope you are both well. Not long now....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Awwwww, WhatonEarth - congratulations!  :) That sounds a really easy labour (speaking as the shoulder dystocia lady :) ), and a lovely little girl  ^Heart^

I'm still here... Due to have another scan this afternoon. I did Zumba last night, which was great fun, although - when the instructor found out I was due to be induced next week - she joked that her insurance didn't cover me going into labour :) She also kept saying how much my bump had popped in the last few weeks and I was like "Well, I hope not because the little guy was already huge a fortnight ago" ;D

He is a heavy little fellow, and I'll be glad when someone else can carry him while I'm at a class...  :) (although I did basically carry DS constantly for nearly two years)  ::)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thank you London,
Ive never been to Zumba, sounds like fun. He'll be a rhythmic boy.
my friend has the chassis to my pram, so I've been slinging all day, every where.
Returned a pile of gifts - pink, clothes - to Tesco yesterday Too big and too pink! Noone will ever know. She's not keen on sleeping anywhere other than the sling, but trying to persuade her to sleep on my bed in a pillow fort - might smell familiar.
i do feel the carrying in my back sometimes, my tummy is still recovering from the previous occupant.
Breast feeding and pumping has been amazing for shrinking the uterus back really fast though.
My cat is deeply suspicious and runs away from the 'waahs'. Ds loves her and has been helping to hold her when I needed help/to have a bath etc...
I didn't get the decorating finished, oh well! Mostly, done. Thought I would have time in mat leave!
How is your DS? Do you think he will be enthusiastic when he gets a brother (not a sister)?
Aggie, how are you getting on?
Are you enjoying mat leave? (Tell me what it's like! :eek:))

·
Registered
289 Posts
whatonearth, that is amazing news! congratulations, your little girl sounds dreamy! you make it sound all so easy. :)  what did you name her?
i am indeed enjoying maternity leave, it's been nice to have time off and not have to think of anything else but what's imminently coming  ;D seen friends, went for long walks, slept in late, went to yoga classes and did a lot of last minute shopping. it's been a bliss!
now i'm trying to get labour going so i don't have to go through induction.

Londonwriter, whooo we're both getting induced next week then! which day are you going in? hope you manage to send those board games out before!

·
Registered
315 Posts
WhatonEarth - he's so not going to be a rhythmic boy :) Everyone at Zumba jokes that Grape will come out dancing, but I also did Zumba with my DS and he looks at me like I'm crazy if I dance in the house! DS now has got the idea that he's getting a little brother, and that his little brother is inside mummy at the moment. He puts his hand on me and says "Can we get him out?"

Aggieblue - I'm due in on Wednesday. Also trying to get labour going to avoid induction - I'm supposed to be expressing colostrum (which can apparently start labour) and, yeah, I'm doing 'eviction dancing' :) I doubt it'll make any difference. I was overdue with DS and I did everything - walking up hills fast, dancing, power pump... My waters broke and labour *still* didn't start.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey ladies,
Ooooo, how exciting, next week!!
I read that starflower/borage oil is very high in prostaglandins, as in the hormone that prepares the cervix for labour. I bought some capsules, but didn't have a chance to use them.
You can take them orally or use them internally as a pessary, or use the oil to prepare the perineum for stretching with massage.
Aggie, that mat leave sounds like heaven. That's almost exactly what I had planned. Oh well.
I'm calling her Dora or hicky (she gets hiccups a lot) or piggy, she makes a piggy noise when she is hungry. Just started doing it a few days ago. 'Ooo,, new noise!' She's so funny.
I hope you get a natural start Aggie, London and I probably had/will have a bit of a short first stage because of the physical changes from a previous labour.
The first stage took a while with my DS as it was my first time, but I was at home and it was ok, quite doable, chilled, with the bath and a couple of dihydracodeine.
What does your doula suggest?
It sounds like you are in good hands. Just do your breathing, that was all I remembered this time.
All the hypo visualisations were gone, just the breathing remained.
I was upright or on the ball for ages too, that seemed to move things quite well.
London your DS sounds so adorable. What have you got planned childcare wise for your birth?

·
Registered
289 Posts
whatonearth, thanks for the suggestion, i never heard of those capsules, i will have a look. Dora, what a lovely name! you must be over the moon. so happy for you. :) 
my doula suggested clary sage, raspberry leaf tea and colostrum harvesting. struggling with this latter, not being very successful at all. i kinda wish i could just get started now with at least pre-labour, but even my Braxton-Hicks quietened down, must be as I'm more relaxed. One night they kept me awake in bed and I thought things might have started but nope, nothing since.
I do need to sit more on my ball it seems!

Londonwriter, how exciting about next week! I'm going in on Thursday so we will be really close. :) i think second babies come faster though, but not sure it means earlier too. fingers crossed! but as you've been super active during the pregnancy, baby must be very used to it.
how cute about your DS! he'll make a great big brother!  :)
did you manage to harvest any colostrum? i'm struggling with it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi all
Aggie I find massaging the breast first and making very light kind of tickly movements with your fingers from the edge of the breast towards the nipple helps get things moving
Apparently, nipple stimulation helps to produce oxytocin which can kick off labour. Worth a try.
you can store the colostrum in the syringe and give it to your midwife at the labour suite, to go in the fridge.
i didn't really have much time to do any of this, but did use the ball quite a bit. It feels so comfy.
Righ,  I'm off to bed. Terrible night last night. Very tired. Zzz

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi all,
how is it going with the colostrum Aggie. Such a fiddle.
another all nighter here. Awake from 12 until 8am. I am a zombie.
going to bed early tonight in preparation for the fun feeding session later.

·
Registered
289 Posts
oh whatonearth, that must be tough! i don't know how i'm going to cope with not sleeping. for some reason I have slept so well in the last week or so. obviously i do wake up 5-6 times to go to the toilet but it doesn't fully wake me up and i can go back to sleep easily. will miss it!

haven't tried more of the colostrum. i think i don't give it enough time, i massage boobs for a few minutes then i decide it's not working. it stresses me out and i don't want to feel stressed so i stop. probably not the best approach!

hope you get a bit of sleep tonight!

·
Registered
289 Posts
most definitely  ^storkboy^ ^storkboy^ ^storkboy^ ^Heart^

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well, what happened next was a bit of a surprise.

I thought I was having reduced movements during the day last Thursday and, in the early hours of Thursday morning, I started really worrying and went to Guy's and St. Thomas' for a trace. This was normal, but my consultant wanted to induce me that night anyway. I refused because I was only 38+1 weeks and I wasn't sure if I was imagining things.

Anyway, I went home and monitored the situation with the movements and, by about 2pm, was certain Grape wasn't moving around as much. So I packed a load of stuff, picked up my insulin/diabetes testing prescription, and went to the hospital. I knew, by this point, that my blood pressure was rising compared to the rest of the pregnancy (although no one seemed worried at the hospital as it was well within the normal range) and that I was having circulatory issues in my hands and feet.

My consultant did a trace, which was okay, and then did a scan. He told me that I was experiencing reduced movements because Grape had much less fluid than was normal, but this was - obviously - not because my waters was broken. Based on that, he deduced that my placenta was failing. My cervix was still high, the baby wasn't engaged at all in the pelvis and had barely dropped, and he thought it was going to be seriously hard to induce without the risk that Grape would get into distress because of the poor placental function.

As such, four hours later, at 9pm, I had a semi-emergency c-section. Grape was born at 38 weeks + 2 days at 8lb 3oz. In the early hours of the morning, he failed three blood glucose tests in quick succession (despite my rigorous blood sugar control), and ended up taken to the SCBU for a glucose/dextrose drip. He was there for 24 hours while his blood sugars normalised, and I went home shortly afterwards.

My consultant knew that it wasn't what I wanted to happen and said he understood that it wouldn't be the best birth I'd had, but that it was being done for a different reason - namely to save Grape's life. I still keep questioning whether he pushed me into the c-section, given his concerns over my health/the shoulder dystocia, although I don't think he did because he respected my decision-making when I said I was going to self-monitor the reduced movements on Friday morning. I keep wondering whether I'd have gone for a more complex induction if I'd had a second opinion, but I don't know whether that would have been better for Grape and I. Grape was definitely in better shape than my first DS after the birth, and the blood glucose problem was unrelated to the method of delivery.

I remain shocked by how many GD-related complications I had (Grape also has very mild jaundice) given the tight range in which I'd managed to control my blood sugars. I did say to one of the paediatricians in the SCBU at one point that it seemed a waste of time spending so long on blood sugar control give the only complication I managed to avoid (apart from stillbirth) was a large stomach. She said that I was probably going to get that stuff anyhow due to the existence of the condition and, by maintaining blood sugar control, I'd reduced the severity of the impacts.

Anyway, I'm walking about at home and dealing with the usual stuff around newborns (crying in the night, establishing breastfeeding) with the added complexity that Grape really REALLY has to get enough calories at each feed.

AggieBlue - I really wouldn't worry about the colostrum harvesting TBH. I didn't manage to do any because I find it very hard to express milk without an actual baby somewhere on the premises. He did need supplemental formula, but I was advised that this was because my milk hadn't come in at volume and - when you colostrum harvest - by definition, your milk hasn't come in at volume. I could have had 10 tubes of colostrum and would apparently still have needed to supplement with formula because he simply needed a larger volume of milk than I could provide around the time of the birth. In fact, a SCBU paediatrician spent nearly 15 minutes reversing most of the breastfeeding advice I'd ever been given because it simply doesn't apply to sick or premature babies. Among other things, you can't breastfeed babies with blood sugar issues on demand because it's not about bonding - it's about calories - and you can only supply so many calories from your breasts in a certain period of time. Any breastfeeding beyond that is exhausting the baby without increasing their blood sugar.

·
Registered
289 Posts
oh wow Londonwriter, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! you got Grape in your arms :) so happy for you!
but what an unexpected turn. it does sound like the c-section was the right decision though, try not to dwell on it. i'm glad you're already home and hopefully recovery will be quick and smooth.

regarding induction when you're body is not ready, a friend of mine just gone through that, spent 3 days in hospital trying to get things going with no luck (but a lot of agony in the end) and she still ended up with a c-section. so i think you saved yourself a lot of trouble by not going through that.

i can't believe i had the earliest due date and i'm the last one giving birth!

whatonearth, i have to call thursday morning to see what time i should go in for induction. i had a sweep yesterday (ouch) and i'm 1 cm dilated and cervix has started moving but not at all at the front yet and still quite long and thick so definitely not there yet. hopefully the sweep helped a bit and will be a bit more ready when induction happens. also went to cuddle a newborn baby for an hour today - i'd try anything!  ;D

i hope you're both getting on well and adjusting to your new lives!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Aggieblue said:
regarding induction when you're body is not ready, a friend of mine just gone through that, spent 3 days in hospital trying to get things going with no luck (but a lot of agony in the end) and she still ended up with a c-section. so i think you saved yourself a lot of trouble by not going through that.
AggieBlue - thanks for this reassurance ^hugme^ It means a lot as I do keep questioning the decision not to push for an induction. My husband thinks I'm silly questioning things as we both suspect that Grape only had 24-48 hours to live and I'd have either ended up with a dead baby or an emergency c-section (a non-emergency c-section is obviously better).

I think you're probably healthier than WhatonEarth and I (well, certainly me :)) One of the things this pregnancy has taught me, to my great sadness, is that there's a massive difference between health and physical fitness/lifestyle issues. I had too many health problems for my body to safely reach term with a baby, but was vigorously dancing (Zumba) with a 3kg weight in each hand two days before the birth...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi all,
London, congratulations on the birth of your lovely son.
I did see your post before, but I could tell you were disappointed in the way the birth had been taken out of your hands.
As you rightly say, it is better that he is safe and you acted in his best interests even though you wouldnt have chosen the birth you ended up having.
I do feel for you. I felt the same way with Dora. I am glad she is in one piece, but would have liked the extra week and a bit to get her past the 38 week mark.
I have no idea why she seemed to stop growing, although my scans had been a bit unreliable. I was in good shape, Doppler was good with low resistance, good blood pressure, blood sugar was fine, good liquor levels and a good fetal heart beat and movement.
It turned out that my iron levels were low and I had stopped the medication that boosted my tregs so that may have affected her growth, but I dont think I will ever know and she is here now and is gorgeous so not sure there is much to be gained from raking it over.
This is my last baby and my issues were fertility specific so, hopefully, won't affect me any further.
How is your boy getting on. I totally sympathise about the feeding regime. I was on a three hourly regime of feeding, expressing and supplementing for a couple of weeks.
she is now exclusively breastfed but still feeding every two or three hours, day and night. I am a ghoul.
What does DS1 think of DS2? Has he put him into recycling yet?
Aggie is this THE Thursday? I might be a bit sleep deprived andffind that you meant next Thursday. I expect you are not going to see this until after your DS is born. I have been thinking about you all day.
Hope everything is  going/went well. Cant wait to hear your news.
I had the Health visitor round today. Shethinks the jaundice is improving, but said Dora had dropped down the centiles a bit now she isnt being topped up with expressed and  formula.
It never ends does it. So they are back next week to check her weight.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi all,
Just a quickie.
Aggie, hope you are well and everything has gone to plan.
London, how is your boy? I hope his blood sugar is stable now. What about you? How is your blood sugar?
The HV came today and Dora has climbed back up to her centile again, in five days. I started feeding her every two hours and it seems to have done the trick. Using an app to keep  track, otherwise I would have no idea.
Feeling very sleep deprived, so better get off the internet.
X

·
Registered
289 Posts
hey both

Sorry i went AWOL - my baby boy, Elliott was born on Valentine's day :)

nothing really went according to plans or expectations, typically. i was induced on Thursday at 1pm and contractions started in a few hours. Few hours later I was in active labour (that's almost 4cm dilation within a couple of hours). The pain was excruciating and all i wanted was an epidural. I was given that at 7am  Friday morning, then got fully dilated and started pushing around 3pm.
I'm skipping a lot of details here but eventaully Elliott was born by forceps delivery just after 7pm. He was in distress so no instant skin to skin or delayed cord clamping for us, sadly.

Nothing at all was like how I planned, things happened way to quick for me to be able to deal with them and all hynobirthing went out the window.Thankful I had my doula with me who seemed so calm (even during the last few hours that was really more of an ordeal).

We had to stay in hospital for 4 days so only got home Monday night. I'm absolutely smitten with the little boy, obviously, and worry more about his wellbeing than I imagined it was possible! welcome to motherhood i guess!

hope you're both getting on well. whatonearth, glad to hear Dora is back on track!
luckily Elliott had no complications from the diabetes, his sugar levels were fine and i just tested mine yesterday after a bowl of pasta (proper wheat pasta!) and they were well within a range. I guess i can close this chapter in my life! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Aggie
Congratulations on your beautiful boy!! Well done in powering through. That sounds like very hard work. Elliott (sorry I can't check if it was two 't's) is lucky to have such a strong mum.
I think I was convinced that I was getting everything wrong with my DS and that it was a miracle he was alive. Now that he is 15 and still alive, I feel less worried about Dora, odds are she will also make it to 15.  :0)
How are you getting on with h feeding? It's tough isn't it! Did the hospital stay make you a bit nuts?
It's a bit manic if you get stuck in there. When I discovered we had to stay longer because of jaundice, I was almost in tears.
The nurses and midwives were so amazing. They started project 'break out Dora' to make sure we got out as fast as possible.
Did you have an episiotomy?
How is Elliott's little head after forceps?
My DS had a ventouse delivery and had bruising from that.
I'm up through the night at the moment, so message or post anytime. I'll probably see it. :0)
London you must be flat out right now with a young child and newborn.
How are things going?

181 - 200 of 232 Posts