Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi everyone,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

It's been pretty mad with the lockdown. As WhatsonEarth suggested, my au pair arrangements went down. My au pair was due to come from southern Italy at the beginning of March and we didn't really feel it was safe for him to come (or that he'd have fun here - we were expecting a lockdown). A week later, we decided it wasn't safe for my 74-year-old mum (who has high blood pressure) to be in London either so she went home. My husband was sent to work from home (he's a financial key worker) due to his asthma and his boss was kind enough to let him work four days a week for a few weeks - to help us cope. Apart from that, we were alone together, with no help, with the two small boys.

At the beginning of May, we realised it would be hard for my mum to come back and impossible for me to return to work, so we started recruiting for an au pair already in the UK. We've ended up recruiting an au pair whose last placement ended due to the lockdown. She has had several placements, wants to work as a maternity nurse in the UK eventually, and has a life here in London (inc. friends and a boyfriend). We've hired her as a part-time, live-in, junior nanny, which means we're paying her nanny rates for her childcare experience, but she lives with us and doesn't work full-time hours. She arrived on Monday night and will be locked down with us for the foreseeable.

This means I can now work 30 hours a week and am at my desk now working! I can also, hopefully, go for a run as my exercise has been confined to walking upstairs lots of times, dancing to music in the garden, and lifting weights in the front room.

Lorcan is a lovely baby. He is very curious and responsive, and generally interested in the world. He is now nearly four months. Like his brother, he had very severe colic, but I wouldn't know he was born a fortnight before term - he seems to have met most of his milestones roughly the same time as his older brother, although time does move strangely in the lockdown.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey everybody, how are you all doing and how our babies getting on? I hope they are all doing well :)

I can't believe Theo is a week away from turning 7 months old. Time has literally flown by. When I was pregnant everyone kept saying to me "enjoy him while he is young because it goes so fast", I didn't believe them at the time but it is so true. I keep looking back at pictures of when he was newborn and I miss him being that small but at the same time I am loving watching his little personality grow.

Theo is nearly sitting up but nowhere near beginning to crawl, its quite funny watching him on tummy time. He is strong with his arms but has absolutely no clue what to do with his legs yet. He has been weaning for the last few weeks and he seems to really enjoy his food! I've been giving him purees because I'm too scared to do baby-led weaning. He has been off his food for the last few days but I think he is teething. He has one tooth on the bottom and I think the second one is going to make an appearance soon.

I've tried arranging going back to work in October but my boss is being really funny with me, because I work in a nursery I said Theo needs to come with me and she has said there is no room for him. He has to come with me as I've got no one to look after him so its possible I'll have to delay going back to work which I don't really want to do as I can't afford it.

I've been okay, just been feeling a little fed up lately. We have been going to my in-laws every other day and if im honest its driving me insane. It probably sounds quite nasty but I never get a look in with my own son when we go round there, if he is crying my MIL has to be the one to hold him and won't give him back. She is also not listening to what we are telling her. She has this pretend candle that she keeps giving Theo to play with and no matter how many times me and my partner tell her not to give it to him she still does. I keep telling her I light candles all the time in my house so I dont want him to think he can play with them because he plays with the one at nanny's house. Other than this things have been going well. My other half is going back to work doing massaging next week and he will have to go quite early so I'm hoping this means we won't have to spend as much time at my in-laws. Is it bad of me that I don't like spending much time there? People have told me just to send Theo with my other half but he goes running before he goes so would have to drop Theo off there and I don't trust MIL with him on her own. Theres been so many mistakes she has made whilst looking after him that I don't like leaving him with her.

When he was around 8 weeks old she left him go 6 hours without giving him milk despite the fact I had given her times to feed him, I was horrified! Then last weekend when we went round she wanted to take him for a walk so I went with her. It was really sunny so she pulled his trouser legs up and said "lets get the sun on those legs". Fil quickly said to her "so he can get sunburnt" and she quickly rolled them down again. She didn't even think about putting sun cream on him.

Sorry this seems to have turned into a little rant. I hope you are all doing well :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey everyone

Does anyone still check this? I just thought of this group today and had to check in.

Elliott and me are doing really well. He just turned 9 months and some days I still can't believe he is mine! He is such a fantastic little boy. So curious and definitely mummy's boy! I get so many cuddle a day. There's so much love.
He is almost ready to walk now, which is scary! He is super active!

This year has been hard though with all that's going on but I was really lucky that I managed to go home and see my family for 6 weeks during the summer where things were a bit more normal. I'm not due to go back to work until February and I'm now officially homebased as my charity didn't keep their London office, understandably. I'll be heartbroken to not be with Elliott all the time, as hard as it is to have almost zero help, thanks to the pandemic.

Anyway, hope everyone is well and the babies are thriving. xxx

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Aggie and Elliott yes I still check and was wondering the same as you abd how everyone is

Great to hear you are both ok,  he sounds like a delightful little boy and it is the same for me literally daily k look at India and simply can't believe she's really here or mine Its been the most beautiful miracle ever my friend recently said she's the piece of my jigsaw that's been missing all of my life that made me well up it must be so special to have that mummy and son  bond .....that's great you managed to visit home for a nice long trip this summer bet you were glad you were able to hope you enjoyed yourselves and the flight was ok was it not as scary with Elliott with you did he travel ok hope you manage to enjoy the rest if maternity leave atleast you have a while yet make the most of it sorry to hear the covid situation has affected your London office will you be ok job wise how will working from home be for you I'd love to be able to work from home but have no skills to do so I have to go back 4th January to my school Job mornings only India will have to go to a nursery near my work I go back to one evening job january too luckily only a few hours an evening and a 10 minute walk away thank goodness my old 3rd job I don't have to go back to I used to finish at midnight there ever night so very glad about that it was tough absolutely dreading going back tbh in a perfect world I would be a stay at home mummy but the reality is I have to go back money wise I'm trying  it to get upset or stressed about it just yet..I've never left her at all just to have a shower quickly that's it lol we are joined at the hip .how amazing Elliott is almost walking wow very early India can't crawl bless her but just recently can stand by the sofa with me next to her she's always loved to stand or be held up even when tiny have you been managing ok over the lock down etc we just mainly go for alot of walks ...

India is 10 months this week how did that happen..?.she's the  most sweet gentle beautiful kind little girl just amazing very very laid back always smiley loves cuddles songs books walks baths animals esp dogs , the swings ,noisy toys  ...she got 2 bottom teeth at 7 months and recently has 4 top teeth just emerging she has the most beautiful smile I can't believe how much its possible to love her its overwhelming we are still exclusively breast feeding weaning isnt  going great tbh she's still on fruit and veg purees anything slightly lumpy made her gag ...she really isn't a foodie at all has a tiny appetite and has never had big feeds we wonder if she has a small tummy ....the foods she is interested in she can't have yet bless her the reflux did improve after 6 months thank goodness as I found it so hard and upsetting to see her be so sick it was really hard to ride it out and with the prolonged jaundice we've always had to wake her for feeds I hope to keep breastfeeding  her as long as possible we both really love it I do still really worry alot about her alot of anxiety  still it will never go away she had her 10 month check 2weeks ago by phone she's very behind on speech abd communication she used to blow raspberries and cluck from 4 to 6 months then that stopped she's never ever babbled no mamma dada baba etc she can hear ok abd understands some things I say she knows words eg bus , nanny grandad do you want boo boo for a feed she's a very clever little girl knew her name at 4 months could turn pages on a book even earlier that that just no sounds or noises if you tickle her she will sometimes giggle or laugh if you do something really silly she smiles alot is very sociable well as much as you can be from a distance in a lock down ....loves people and is a very easy going cheerful smiley girl she's also vet behind in movement the health visitor promised to let me know what they suggest but still waiting atm haven't seen our usual hv since she was 7 weeks in march but know everyone's in the same boat I'd love love love to be able to give her a sibling ...but know she's, my miracle ...I'd have tried with my 6 frozen after about 2 months after she was born if I could have lol I'd have loved a small age gap but what with the c section, still breatfeeding abd the covid situation we will see how we go .I'd have really loved a huge family ...Im really desperate to just try with the fet but know I won't get another miracle my brother and his wife had a baby boy last Friday which was lovely to have 2 babies this year in our family my niece is now 3

Lauren how are you and Theo are you back at work yet is it any easier with your mother in law now how's theo doing the oldest baby in the group doesn't seem possible they are approaching their first birthdays ....I do really miss the newborn days wish I'd relaxed and enjoyed them more ...

How's Dora doing now hope all is well with you all

How's things with you also London abd lorcan hope all ok

Hope everyone's well and keeping safe and looking forward to babies first Christmases!! Take care everyone x

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Aggie and Elliott, I'm glad to hear you are both doing well. What a clever little boy nearly ready to walk! They grow up so fast its scary. I'm sorry to hear Covid has affected your job, I hope working from home will go well though. I'm glad you got to go home to see your family its definitely been the hardest thing about this year not being able to see family as much we would have liked. One thing about my maternity I was most looking forward to was how much time I would have to travel back home to my family and I've only been able to see them a handful of times.

Molly and India I'm glad to hear you are both well. Theo is the opposite, not really interested in much milk but has a big appetite. He eats loads! Some babies just have a small stomach and they do say that up until 12 months food is just for fun anyway. I wouldn't worry about her being behind with talking she will get there, she has plenty of time to start babbling. Theo is a little behind with his physical development, hes no where near pulling himself up although in the last few days he has started trying more and no where near walking. They all do it in their own time, just keep encouraging her to try. I hope you can try again for another soon. I'd also like a sibling for Theo, we have an appointment on the 9th Dec with a clinic to discuss how to go forward with it. Hopefully in the New year we will be able to try for baby #2.

Me and Theo are good, we are currently in self isolation because Theo's dad has tested positive for covid. Its very difficult as we are trying to keep Theo away from him and Theo just doesnt understand and thinks daddy doesn't like him anymore. Theo won't even look at him. I went back to work at the start of October, I'm doing 34 hours a week and I feel like I don't ever see Theo but I can't afford to cut my hours down any more than I have. Theo is coming up to 11 months at the end of this month and I can't believe it, hes grown up so fast. I'll be honest we haven't seen my mother-in-law for a good few weeks now because of covid and its been quite nice to have the time for ourselves. She is still really overbearing and likes to try and take over with Theo trying to tell me what to do and what not to do.

I am so excited for Theo's first christmas and his first birthday, trying to plan something for his first birthday has been very difficult because we dont know what will happen with covid but as long as he has mummy and daddy around we don't care what we do. We usually have two christmas trees at our house, we buy a real one and we have an artificial one in the conservatory we have already put up our artificial one and Theo loves it! He keeps trying to grab all the baubles off and his face lights up when we turn the lights on.

I hope everyone else is doing well and all the babies are coping well with all this covid going on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ahh so nice to hear from both of you!

Molly, so lovely to hear all about India. she sounds absolutely adorable. they all develop at their own pace, the babbling will come when she's ready! so exciting that you're thinking about a sibling! i am sure at least one of those 6 would stick, why not? i keep thinking about my two frosties too but i need to be in a better financial situation before i could even consider a sibling.

Lauren, as you said there is absolutely no rush in getting them walking at all, i think the normal range is anything from 9 months to 16 months so there's plenty of time to do that still! and lovely to hear about you're thinking about a second baby as well.
I am so sorry you are isolating. I really hope your partner didn't have it too bad and little Theo is ok as well. Must have been really hard.
Can't believe he is 1 soon. How quickly time passes!

We had a scare the other day as Elliott has an allergic reaction to cashew and we went to hospital. Thankfully it wasn't a severe reaction although it felt like for me! It was terrifying and i am still anxious of giving him any food at the moment. He eats very well and still breastfeeds as much as before. He's a big boy, they weighed him when we were in the hospital (we haven't seen a HV since he was a week old) and he's 10.7 kilos. He's tall too, he's now in 12-18 months clothes but he's not even 10 months yet. Must be the viking blood in him. :D he's hard work sometimes, very much mummy's boy, not that he had anyone else! it's hard sometimes alone, i'm not gonna lie but he is such an amazing little boy. i'm so proud of him. <3

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Molly, Lauren and Aggie,

Lovely to hear from you all.

Molly, lovely to hear about India. Kids do develop at their own pace - my older son, Hector, wasn’t properly potty trained until four and didn’t really talk until he was two and half. It’s also hard to gauge development during COVID-19; all my development checks have been by telephone.

Lauren -  sorry to hear that Theo’s dad has tested positive for COVID-19. I hope you are all okay. Again, I wouldn’t worry about Theo. Hector didn’t walk until he was about 14 months. He can now read the Paddington Bear books (aged four) and spent some of this afternoon playing a board game with us that has a 7+ age rating.

Aggie - sorry to hear about the cashew nuts. That’s very scary  :( Lorcan is also now in 12-18 months’ clothes - I think sometimes clothes have ‘vanity sizing’, although at least you know he’s a good size  :)

Lorcan is luckily developing well. He is taking his first steps (he was toddling around the room earlier) and says ‘mama’, ‘dada’ and ‘hi’. I was very surprised because Hector was much slower at meeting his milestones, and Lorcan was two weeks premature to boot, but apparently second kids develop much faster because they copy their siblings. Lorcan’s favourite thing is definitely wanting to do everything Hector is doing. He tries to follow Hector around and play with his toys. He is a very cheerful little fellow, hugely smiley and very sociable. He also, to our surprise, still has bright orange hair. He is definitely our biological child (I actually panicked and maternity/paternity tested him (!! :eek:) ), but there are no redheads on either side of our respective families, so the ginger hair is an unexpected blessing. I’ve enjoyed dressing him up in costume as he has a striking resemblance to Jack-Jack from The Incredibles (he even has a little quiff). Apparently, it also means that - if we a lucky enough (and we’d need to be lucky, I think) to have a third child - they’d have a 1 in 4 chance of also having ginger hair.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey ladies I hope you and your babies are all well.

Aggie that must have been really scary with Elliott having the allergic reaction, I hope he has been ok since. I remember a little boy in my nursery having an allergic reaction to egg and it was the scariest moment of our lives although at the time we didn't realise what was going on.

London its lovely to hear Lorcan is doing so well, it must be so nice to see him trying to copy Hector and play with him. They must have a lovely little bond with each other. How strange their is no redheads but he is, I love red hair and would have loved Theo to have ginger hair but he is blonde.

Theo is now a year old and that first year went crazy fast! I feel so many mixed emotions with how quick it has gone and how I've loved spending time with him and watching him grow but we have also had an awful year because Covid has stopped us doing anything in the outside world really. I was looking forward to taking him on his first holiday but we have no idea when we will get to do that now. About a week and a half after Theo's dad had Covid I caught it, we thought it may happen as we were still having to sleep in the same bed. It was scary as I am asthmatic but I think I was lucky and was given steriods and antibiotics before we realised it was Covid. We think Theo had it at the same as me but we didn't get him tested so we aren't really sure.

We had a bit of drama at Theo's birthday. Although we were in lockdown we offered for Theo's dads family to come round for a little party at seperate times. They all declined which is fine as we were in lockdown but they all said we could go round to theirs instead which annoyed me as if they didn't want to come round as its not safe that is fine but to invite us round there is just no difference in them sitting in our house to them sitting in ours. My other half agreed it was unfair that they wouldn't come round so they wouldn't see him but the night before his birthday I heard him tell his parents we would go round. I put a stop to that straight away and said if they wanted to see Theo on his birthday they could come to us and I invited my friend and her son round instead. I ordered a lovely fire engine cake as Theo loves fireman Sam and the day before Theo's birthday at about half one my MIL rang and said "don't buy Theo a cake I've made him one". I ordered his cake in September or October and she didn't even ask if we needed one she just assumed we didn't get one. It was silly really! His family all said "don't worry next year we will have a big party to make up for that" I've made myself very clear with my other half that it will be me and him planning Theo's next birthday not his family and there may be a chance if we are allowed with all the Covid stuff we may be going to my families to celebrate Theo's birthday.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Everyone!
I keep thinking about coming here to check on everyone but always forget.

Sorry Lauren about the birthday stress! Sometimes families are really inconsiderate. The first birthday is such a huge milestone. We had a nice day with my support bubble coming over and I ordered a cake for us adults and made a baby safe one for Elliott which he loved!

He is now 16 months old and real little toddler with big emotions and tantrums. He is so cute though. I love him so much. He is now nursery since May and I'm working 3 days a week, which I don't enjoy much but now it's nice to have a break from parenting. It's hard! He is such an active and curious little kid, we always have to do something. I love it as I hate sitting at home but it's tiring having to plan all the time. So it's nice to have a few days when someone else entertains him haha!

Hope everyone is well. xxx

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Aggie and Elliott!!!!! Yes I still browse here and wonder how evdry one from this group are getting on, I only go online iv indias napping or overnight I try to focus as much time on her as possible we are joined at the hip lol I hope everyone from here mums babies well toddlers now!!!!!how did that happen. .....and all families are well keeping safe and all ok

Lauren how are you and theo doing hope work isn't too tough and the mother in law isn't causing any hassle . How did plans go for ttc number 2 hope all is going well there and you get your second miracle wouldn't that be just
t amazing

What on earth hope you and dora are both well and coping ok hope life is good for you all

London hope you are all well and you have stayed safe with the pandemic and your Immune issues lorcan sounds a delight how funny with his red hair my brother was ginger as a youngster too got darker as he got older no other redheads on our immediate family bar my dads mum apparently as I nevergot to meet her, how's hector liiking being a big brother , he sounds like a happy little chap best of luck if you do try for number 3 wow how fab would that be .....

Aggie hope, life is good for you both Elliott sounds such a loving happy little boy hope work isn't too hard glad he enjoys the activities and fun if nursery , have you managed to see your sister the last year must be so tough with all the lock downs etc, how terrifying and scary the allergic reaction must have been sounds dreadful and su h a worry for you has he been ok since and is he eating well, j
hope you have got some confidence back around food he sounds like a happy active character great he is so busy but imagine it csn be tiring totally on your own

India is 17 months in a few days .....wow hoe did that time fly by for us all seems like yesterday on the cycle buddy pages then bfp then scans etc then the births now first birthdays done into toddlers .....wow wow wow also seems like forever ago too though

India is the most amazing beautiful funny clever loving little miracle I loveher beyond words om literally obsessed with her she's my absolute world and it's all about her now my friend said when she as born shes the piece of my jigsaw who was missing my whole life ...there really is no other love like it, I still cant believe she's here and I still cant believe I'm a mummy still seems so surreal to me ,,...she amazes me daily, she walked at 12.5 months and finally started to babble shortly after, her first word....daddy dadda (she's from a sperm donor lol) she's only said mum a few times csn say nan nanny and daddad for grandad, says I did it good girl and some babble , she can run, bounce, just started to climb, ...draw a circle , knows some colours will point to them if you say them knows all the animals and their noises understands literally everything you say to her and can answer yes and no with head gestures snd knows what she's answering still loves to hold hands very very loving gives the beat cuddles loves animals music dancing walks the park other children and babies books still loves bing and in the night garden loves to draw including felt tips on the floor and sofa we are very laid back about it lol we still both love breastfeeding but she still had feeding issues. ....just won eat much at all. ....she ha s an issue with her top 4 front teeth likely to be a rare genetic condition affecting the enamel could also be due to the sepsis, prolonged jaundice reflux and iv ABS , waiting for a referal to a specialist dentist in London atm main thung is she isn't in pain they arent rotten but yellow crumbly and eroding it's heartbreaking other kids at the park say to me she has dirty teeth thabkfully shes too young atm to understand but ti breaks my heart she's got the most beautiful smile we hope we can get them sorted and she won't have to endure lots of nasty dental treatments we finally had a phone consultation with a dietician , she really wasn't impressed were been left struggling since last novemebr with the eating going to refer her to speech and language to see of there is a physical issue with her throat etc and see if its partly a sensory issue too as everthung she will eat is beige, just had no appetite ahd doest seem to like strong smells teztures etc she had fruit and veg purees 3 x a day up until 8.5 months no issues it was when we stared to introduce lumps and textures seh gagged was sick and went downhill with foodshe's never ever been a big eater even on breast milk it's tiny amount s I do wirry alot she's about 20 lbs 3oz or 9.7kg at 16.5 months she will eat tiny amount of yogirt ice cream houmous the soft bits of bread suck on soft strawberries and pick bits off cereal bars and soft meltING baby wafer and some biscuits and tiny bits of cheese abd banana baby puree but that's pretty much all tiny amounts and an awful diet I kniw but we are so desperate to try to get her to eat we have tried everything I find it very hard and worrying and really upsetting it feels like Ive really gone very wrong somewhere with her feeding and I see other people feeding their babies loads I just want her to be a happy and well ....she had a random chest infection a few weeks ago no symptoms bar a cough had abs then a week later couldn't walk at all on her left leg ....all very scary imagined all sorts x rays and blood tests showed no breaks it seems likely it was an inflammation in her hip can be triggered my a virus so she's been a bit and up and down since then you can imagine how much I worry!!!!!!! I'm working 6 or sometimes7 evenings a week atm works well for us atm it's so so hard to leave her though but had to go back we did some dance classes recently great fun she loved it seeing other kids and the dance and music she's very into both, she's very very laid back always happy and cheerful very sociable just lovespeople and animals being busy and is a very sweet kind funny loving little girl im so so proud of her l I had hopedto try using the frozen in january but as we still bf and neither if us want to stop and what with the ongoing covid situation that didnt happen I ahd the hoped to try last month as I had indias ivf in may but again we didn't manage to try in may .....I'm absolutelydesperate to try fets to try for a sibling a long shot I know but I'm soooooo broody lol have been since she was 2 month lol she adores babies and everytime she sees one in real life pr on TV or a book does her hand signal for wants....she would make such a lovely gentle kind big sister ....I find it so hard the uncertainty of of we will ever get the chance to try again and be patient waiting to even try but ...what will be will be I know so many neve get even one baby we all have our miracle s and I'm grateful constantly for that and try not to get upset or sad about longing for more children when I've got the most beautiful incredible miracle baby girl I'm truly thankful and just love her so so much

Anyway enough of my rambling hoping you are all well and enjoying life with toddlers I find it a really fun stage and they zre just so so funny sweet and amazing little people xx

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi MollyMartha. Sorry to hear about the genetic condition and the inflammation.

Aggie, also great to hear your news.

Lorcan is now a bubbly 17-month-old toddler. He still has wonderful ginger hair, which is growing out quite long now. He is a friendly, fast-moving little chap who has around ten words ("pleas", "that", "this", "muma", "dadda", "bac" (for bacon), "bisc" (for biscuit), "narna" (for banana), "e-i-e-i-o", "row-row" and "baa").

His older brother is also getting on okay and trying really hard to be a good big brother. He was diagnosed with ASD after having problems starting a new nursery last September, but is a chatty and friendly little guy who seems to be slightly slower to develop on self-care tasks and get sensory overload in big groups. We've been in touch with the SENCO for when he starts school this September so, hopefully, they'll have support in place for him incase he gets overwhelmed. In the meantime, we're working with him to increase his confidence with self-care stuff like putting on socks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi ladies, I don't know how often you all come and check this. I like to try and pop on and see how everyone is getting on. Life is busy with a toddler! Thank goodness for bed times!

Theo is usually pretty good at bedtimes, we have had a few nights where he throws his dummy over and over on to the floor but that's usually only when he's had a late nap and doesn't want to go to bed at his usual time. Theo loves spinning rings and anything circular, it's his favourite game and will play for ages doing this. His speech is getting there slowly, he says "flower" "garden" for mammy and daddy he says "mamn" and "dadn" which I find really funny. He knows quite alot of animal sounds although he doesn't like to do them all at the time requested. I still struggle to believe he's now 20 months old!

Big news for me, we did an IUI in August on the 19th and I have just found out I am pregnant with baby number 2! I am quite in shock that it worked, we only had one follicle at 20mm and I'm sure with Theo I had quite a few follices. I was convinced that the timing was wrong with my trigger shot, I felt like it should have been done the day before but obviously they got it all right and it worked. I will be due 12th May 2022 and Theo will be about 2 years and 4 months old so that's really mad.

I hope you and your little ones are all good.

221 - 232 of 232 Posts