Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

looking for some advice i got a BFP today, but my hospital has stopped the progesteone pessaries without any tests, i am worried that i may still need then as i see some people take then for 12 weeks, is there any test to see if you do need them?

thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you have ivf? I always thought it was standard practice to continue up til 12 weeks, I got bfp last week and am carrying on with them up til 12 weeks I was told.
I was worried about suddenly stopping these at 12 weeks, but read the placenta takes over at 12 weeks, so is fine.
I  also read on net last night (whilst researching) that if you get bfp and suddenly stop these it can make your uterine lining start to shed.
If i was you, I would phone your clinic tommorow and explain your concerns and ask them why they are taking you off them so soon. I do know every clinic is different tho, so dont let me scare you, as maybe it will be fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi there

I will be really interested to know what your hospital says..Congratulations by the way!!!  I am about to start my 3rd IVF and the last 2 cycles i have had cyclogest pesseries but only till day 12 then had another 5 days to wait before testing. Unfortunatly both times i started to bleed the day after stopping the pesseries. This time i want to continue with the pesseries so at least if i get another BFN il know it wasnt because of that..

Good luck and would you please im me to let me know what they say

Di xxx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

my clinic is nhs and they said it is standard practice to stop pessaries once you get a bfp unless there is a reason to stay on them, i had ivf, but would feel better to stay on them, not sure if there is any way round this eg going to gp, i also asked clinic about this and they said it was to early to go to gp as i would need to go back to clinic for a scan when they send the appt out.

really feel need advice re-assurance on this, can i also get the deatils of the research you found about the
-tive effects of stopping pessaries too soon in case it might help

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hello,
My dw got a bfp on the 6th of october and we are waiting for our first scan.we are having our tx at the liverpool womens hospital and they stopped dws pesseries when dw finished them,that was the day after the bfp.we were worried as well because we read a lot of people were continuing till week 12,but lwh dont do it.We went to our gp to see if we could get some but they said they would only do it if our clinic said it was ok,which it wasnt.Like other people have said all clinics are different so its hard to figure out which is the best way,carry on with them or not. soory cant help anymore

carl

jane1s dh

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hi,

I got a bfp and was told I didn't need any more pessaries. I was a bit worried as it felt like they were what was keeping the pg going. My ds was born in December !!

Suzy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Ducatti,

On my 1st IVF, the protocol at my clinic was that I was to take 1 cyclogest pessary until my blood test and then no more.  I got a BPF, had no further jabs or pessaries etc and my DD was born.  I had not heard of FF, so I had no idea of anyone elses particular problems and treatments. 

This year I have suffered two m/c's following two low positives and as a result I was asked to increase the number of cyclogest pessaries rather than stop and commence aspirin & heparin, but it did not save the pregnancies. They were not meant to be.

I would trust your clinic and believe in that strong embie that has got so far!

Congratulations.

Rainy Day

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI

thanks for the replys they were really reassuring, i to went to gp today and he refused to prescribe them, also phoned the hospital as worried about some discomfort in the pelvic region, has anyone else had this?
the hospital said not to worry unless i started bleeding

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had cyclogest for 12 days 1st time - BFN

I had cyclogest for my 2nd attempt and when I got a faint BFP 5 days after my cycolgest had run out and aftersome spotting they gave me another 2 weeks supply but said that there was no scientific proof that they work. Interestingly when I used the cyclogest the bleeding got worse, when I stopped taking it it reduced,then I inserted one again and the bleeding increased. It helps in getting the womb lining thick, but if the embryo isn't going to stick it isnt going to stick, and the cyclogest wont help - it might build up the womb lining but it cant make the embryo implant so don't worry. There are plenty of BFP's on here with the standard 12-14 days of cyclogest.

Yvonne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.