Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had this.  I've just had a m/c at about 6 weeks following my 1st IVF treatment.  Consultant did say this might be a problem.  But, bearing in mind that I have already had a baby in 2000 and it wasn't a problem, we decided to give our 1st attempt a try and if it didn't work, have surgery to correct this problem and then have another go later this year. 

It means you have a dip in the top of your uterus and in my case, it looks on x-ray like I have 2 uterus's which are just joined at the bottom.  Its only day surgery apparently  and is fairly easy to correct and you have a 16 week recovery before giving IVF another go again.  Anyone had this done?
TIA

Shamrock63

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi!

Yes, I have a bicornuate uterus but with two separate chambers so it is really two small uterii with a shared joined wall that cannot be separated.  There are loads of different versions of this from a y-shaped uterus to the extreme form, which I have.  There is also a septate uterus, which is where there is a membrane in the middle. 

I am surprised that you managed to have a child without problems and only now they are talking about operating.  You just have to follow the advice that the medical staff give you and go for it!  At least you have that option open to you.  Apparently I'd bleed to death or lose my uterus completely so operating is a no-no for me.

Apparently about 1% of women struggling with infertility have a uterine abnormality but my doctors reckon that there are loads of women, who give birth without knowing about their problem so it is not this which is causing the fertility problems but my PCOS and endometriosis. 

I wanted to wish you all the best with whatever you decide.

Love,

Elaine R xx

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your information Elaine.  Yes I was one of those women who gave birth without knowing I have a bicornuate uterus!  It only became evident after I had a hysterosalpingogram in January 2004 while undergoing fertility investigations.  IVF consultant said it could cause problems in an IVF cycle but bearing in mind that I had carried to full term before, it may not be.  We decided to have one cycle with the bicornuate uterus and, if that failed, have one further cycle after corection. 

We're now at the stage where it seems it is repairable and hopefully I'll be having the operation soon.  Thanks for your experience, its nice to know I'm not the only one.

Shamrock63 

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.