Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls

Got any ideas?

Katie is 6 months, weaned and breast fed (although usually she will take a bottle if need-be)

The last three days she has started biting when I feed her. To start with it was just when she was tired, and it wasnt too bad. But now it is every time, and straight away. At lunchtime I tried and tried, but ended up doing a bottle, which she rejected (not like her).

I phoned the NCT counsellor who said that repositioning may help, but I am nervous about even trying again tonight. What I have done up to now is say NO really firmly, but I don't think she makes any link between this and what she is doing, and she doesnt let go anyway. I wondered whether maybe another tooth is on the way. Has anyone else experiened this? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks girls

Lucy (and Gnasher) x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Lucy

Sorry cant help you as i never breast fed in the end.
Hope she stops soon or you will really be sore,

Love Kim x x x

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Lucy

Biting is a common reason for women to stop breast feeding. If she is teething over tired or not correctly positioned she may be more prone to biting you. I feel that positioning isnt the issue here as you are well experienced in breast feeding and it is likely that if this was the case you would have had problems before now.

I know that you are getting sore, but try one of the following:

1. Say no firmly, look Katie in the eye with displeasure and stop the feed. You may need to sit her on the floor if that doesnt work. Katie will not like the separation (hence her rejecting the bottle). She will be upset that you are upset. Katie will soon realise that if she bites then the feed will stop. You have to keep doing this when she is biting and the penny will drop.

2. Be positive and calm (easily said). Give lots of praise when she doesnt bite you. If you feel that she is after your attention and sees this as a game talk to her throughout the feed (which Im sure you do).

3. You may need to go for shorter feeds until this phase has passed. Again, only feed if hungry as Katie maybe play biting.

4. At this age, babies are easily distracted so you will need to ensure that there are no distractions! They will often turn their heads to look around (taking your nipple with them).

5. As a very very very last resort you may need to use a nipple shield in the short term.

6. If you feel that she is about to bite gently place your finger in her mouth.

Katie will get over this, but its about how much pain and discomfort you can bear.

Good luck. If I can be off any more help just let me know.

Jeanettexx

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Lucy,

OUCH!!

I hope Jeanette's advice helps.

Love Allie

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi girls

Thanks for the advice Jeanette, and the sympathy kim and allie! Well, katie didnt bite for the last two feeds yesterday, but at lunchtime today she did, and rejected a bottle (second day shes been like this at lunchtime) I havent expressed, because although my milk levels will probably go down, this is one of the feeds I need to drop soon anyway (going back to work).

I think the culprit is another wee tooth, that seems to be breaking through today. At least I know there's a reason, not just that my baby hates me!!! Only joking, but it is horrible when they bite you, the worst time is when they bite then pull away, sort of scraping your nipple across the tooth whilst biting down. OWWWWW!!!

I'm not giving up just yet. If katie does it again tomorrow then I will follow your advice jeanette and put her on the floor for a moment. hope se gets the message

Thanks again for your help.

Lucy x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Lucy. I hope Jeanette's advice helps and that Katie stops biting you once the tooth is cut, and has learned before the next one comes along. You're a braver person that me. It was THE reason I stopped breastfeeding Jack at 4 months. I really couldn't stand the pain and nothing deterred him (although it's a shame I didn't have this thread then as I never thought of using nipple shields, will remember this for next time). I admire your determination to keep going.

Love

J

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks J !! The worst bit is the expectation, because if katie is unsettled I know whats coming!!

Anyway, she was worse at lunchtimes so I've now started giving her a bottle at this time (needed to anyway-going back to work soon). And I was right about the tooth-after a sleepless night with her I noticed it this morning. So hopefully she'll be back to her old (non-biting) self soon (god, fingers crossed)

Thanks for the support girls

Lucy x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hope so, for your sake (ouch!). Hopefully, by the time the next tooth appears she'll know not to bite as well.

Well done.

J

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
lucy

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Went I went back to work I introduced a bottle as well. It worked really well.

Good luck

love

Jeanettexx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts