Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My DW had EC last Wednesday from which she got 11 mature eggs and following ICSI, got 7 embryos.  Yesterday (day 3), we were given the choice to go to blastocyst stage because 5 of the embies are what they describe as top quality with 7/8/9 cells. 

All I have ever understood about Blasting has only ever really come from this website where it would appear most of the people going through this process would always recommend it.  Based on that and our consultants advice to go for it (the clinic have only recently started going to Blasts) we are now having a nervous wait to see how many survive another night.

Can I ask, in others experience of this, we have made the right choice.  I appreciate the thought process is that if they were not going to survive in the lab then they were unlikely to survive in my DW.  That said, I hope come Monday/Tuesday we have something to put back !!!  Is it also true that it increases the chance of a pregnancy significantly should you go to blast?

C

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hiya

I'm afraid i can't help with your question but i'm sure someone will be along soon to help - sounds like your results so far are very encouraging - lots of excellent embies !  I notice that you have olizoospermia but are doing ICSI - can i ask whether you were able to use fresh or whether you used frozen ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Malak

We used fresh although I have had a few samples frozen as back-up

·
Registered
233 Posts
If this is too personal tell me to shut up lol but how many did you have in your fresh sample ? how did they decide to use the fresh ones ? with regards to the frozen samples - again how many do you have in each of your frozen samples ? Basically my DH had 29 that lived when we did our last SA hence why we have been told we can't proceed and that we need to see whether we can get anymore - we are trying on tuesday - is there some sort of threshold or does it depend on quality ????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think pretty much anything goes on this website!!  In my first SA I got 0.25 million with 96% abnormal forms.  In my second (from which 6 different samples were frozen), I got exactly the same.  I was never told last Wednesday how this measured up, but clearly they got enough fresh ones without having to resort to the frozen samples.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about how much is enough and whether or not there is a threshold or not but I expect quality and quantity both come into it to do ICSI.

Good luck for Tuesday.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gosh its all very complicated - im hoping to be an expert in fertility soon though !  Thanks for the reply - good luck with your blasting x

·
Registered
670 Posts
Chartered,

Just wanted to tell you our experience with blasts - they are now very lively 3 year old twins!!
My DH has low count and motility. His best SA was only 5m/ml and 10% motility. I had 20 eggs collected, 17 mature and 14 fertilised. At day 3 we had 10 embies looking good so we decided to go for blast transfer. At day 5 there were 3 perfect blasts. We had 2 transferred and got a BFP 6 days later.

I was told that blast transfer does increase the chance of pg but as you can see from my cycle out of 14 embies only 3 made it to day 5. It is a risk but if you have enough embies I'd say go for it.

Good luck  ^pray^ ^pray^

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Louise

Thanks so much for your reply - that's a great success story. 

To cut a long story short, we went to the clinic yesterday for ET and 2 successfull blasts were put in which is obviously very pleasing - we are now on the 2WW.  Unfortunately, the remaining 5 embies did not made it and we have no frosties despite having 5 grade 1 embies.

My concern is that the embryologist said that if he were to grade the 2 blasts he would say they were average.  This doesn't sound particularly encouraging especially as you use the words 'perfect blast'.  I suppose only time will tell how good or bad they are !!

Take care

C

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I don't want to give you false hope but in the last few months everyone I know on here who's gone to blasts has gone on to have a BFP!!

Unfortunately I was never very good at producing any quantity of eggs so never had the the option!

I shall keep everything crossed for you!

Lou x

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Fantastic you are in 2ww...
I know another Y deletion couple who've been successful.  Their clinic (Bristol) started doing blast work a couple of years ago and proposed trying it with them.  I think it was their 3rd fresh cycle but it made all the difference as they also only had a couple of blasts left from a good number of embryos... their DD is now 20 months old.
All best for a successful result in (less than!) 2wks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts