Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm on my 3rd attempt at ICSI and each time I've been told my 2 embies have been Grade 1 quality and developing really well/normally etc.  They always try and promise blastocyst but it always ends up being a 3 day transfer.  They then keep the others to see if they reach blastocyst stage and they never do.  Just doesn't give me any hope that the ones they select to put back are going to be much better.

Anyone had any positive similar experiences?

Good luck to everyone.  On my 2ww, testing on Tue 5th Oct.  Think I just need cheering up as feeling negative and I hate this 2ww more than the jabs and EC etc put together.

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Hi Jayne
Her story is not quite the same as yours, but I was cycling with Trish1970 last August and she was at Holly House too. I remember she was advised day 3 rather than blastocyst (infact her first cycle with blasts did not work but this cycle with the 2 little day 3 was successful and she now has a little boy to prove it!)  Have a wee look at her postings (find her on the members board and look back on her notes)- they may well give you hope? ^reiki^

I too am on my 2ww - had 2 day 3 embies put back a week yesterday.  I have been finding it so difficult since the weekend and would pay good money for someone to knock me out until I test and wake me to tell me the result. :-[ This part of the treatment is the worst ^zombie^

I hope some of the other ladies can help you with their success stories.  The more positive the better eh? ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Wishing your dream comes true
Love Jakex

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Jayne,

I am at Holly House too! Nice to meet you.

I am just as confused. I was given the impression that blastsocyst was
the best chance of succeeding. But, when I went in for ET at day 3 and I asked the question  I wasn't given a straight answer. Just that the quality of my embies at that time was good enough to transfer. DH says I read too much into it but i don't understand!!! None of my others went to blastocyst either, which really upset me for some reason. Again, no explaination.

I feel very alone now and DH said the same last night.

When do you test?

Francesca

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found Holly House not to be the best with giving information.  Sometimes I feel like they are fobbing me off and I end up even more confused!  They told me exacty the same as you Francesca.  Am thinking if this attempt doesn't work I may try another clinic, no idea which one though!    I test on Tuesday 5th.  You?

Thanks Jake for your encouragement of your friend's treatment.  Any good stories do make you feel better!

This website is so good as I don't know anyone that is going through this.  All my friends have got pregnant on the first try.

Jayne xx

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Hi all,

As for egg quality my wife and I did ICSI we got 18 eggs and she was OHSS.  One of the doctors (helpful) did say there was some correlation between number of eggs and quality (we got C's and D's). 

But I think Janye A hit on a fair point I find the consultants really bad for giving sensible information, in once sense I understand I think they fear saying something and then us as 'joe public' sue'ing the pants off them.  I made the mistake 'reading up' then querying the fact my wife had obvious signs she was going to go OHSS yet we were just given the read the information sheet.  I had no intention of complaining I just wanted to understand the logic of what advice they did give to us (I'm a software engineer), but the consultant got flustered and said that with the symptoms seen they could have stopped the cycle.  Dw and I are glad they didn't.

Dw and I have felt alone and confused, this site has helped but on Day 13 wife tested faint positive (pee pee) but as she's in hospital (2nd time in 2WW) they did blood and it came back inconclusive.... ARRRGGGHH  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Hopefully we may get firm news once she gets better...  :-\

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi guys

Just thought I'd direct you towards the article in the Times on Tuesday, regarding embie quality and possible reasons for failed implantation and early miscarriage:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/

then put IVF in the search

Makes very interesting reading!

Lol Caroline xx

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the info Andy.

All I wanted was for the consultant to says yes, you had a good number of eggs or no thats too many, anything like you say not to have ammunition against them but to understand our chances.

I think they should be positive for us as it helps I don't want to be given misleading info but I want the facts.

There is so much to take in. I hope all goes well for you and DW. Keeping everything crossed! I test tomorrow, gulp!!

Jayne, good to have contact with you, have replied to your last e-mail.

Caroline, will have a look at the website - thanks.

Francescax

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Jake and JayneA

I too am with Holly House - at first I found them to be a bit evasive - especially Michael - he tends to witter on about other peoples cases (thats how it seemed to me and DH) but I think its maybe that they just don't want to get your hopes up....

Not sure about the blast situation,  - I have a book on fertility with all different experiences that people have had, and one embryologist said that he has often transferred poor looking embies as there was nothing else available and they still resulted in bfps.  Don't give up hope! :-*

Wishing all the best of luck and positive vibes! ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Love
Marie

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi there.  Just found this site.  Diagnosed with "unexplained infertility", we've already had 2 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs this year so were recommended by consultant to try blastocyst transfer at last IVF attempt (no 3).  We got good number of fertilised embryos but they all arrested between 4 & 8 cells so didn't even get to ET so feel pretty cheated.

Has anyone had a failed blastocyst attempt, followed by a successful one? 

We've been advised that because of failure it's likely that there's an embryo quality problem (probably egg) but seems shocking that this diagnosis is based on one attempt  Has this happened to anyone else cos at the moment it feel like were the first people this has happened to?  :(

Roz1 (39), Hub (41)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi everyone,
          my name is maeve ,im 30,have a 6yr old little girl and have been trying to get pregnant for the last 3 years.my husband and i have only actively sought treatment in the last year and a half as we had a child already ,i thought we would be laughed at,anyway to cut a long story short......so far i have done 3 i.u.is with clomid and injectibles with no result....my husbands sperm did look on the low side at the time but not so bad after been washed etc.Anyway couldnt stand it any longer and moved on to ivf....i have a touch of p.c.o.s  as well but without any symptoms ie normal periods etc ..put on metformin 500mg t.i.d.our first i.v.f ,doc decided to do half i.v.f and half i.c.s.i as we were a bit unexplained .16 eggs were retrieved and 7 were put for i.v.f and 9 for i.c.s.i .All of the i.c.s.i eggs fertilised and none of the i.v.f ones did which was a real surprise as you can imagine.My doc couldnt really say why this was but that more than likely there was some defect with the sperms capacity for fertilising an egg.
          We had three day 3 grade A embryos put back which resulted in a B.F.P  ....this was in  july of this year...needless to say we were over the moon,had a scan at 6 weeks and saw the heart beat for the first time,I never imagined anything going wrong,I thought once i got pregnant ,that would be it but unfortunately it wasnt and my next scan at 9 weeks showed no heart beat,I felt as though my whole world was falling down around me,and yet part of me felt guilty as i know how lucky i am to have my beautiful little girl.
          My doc did not want to do a d&c so I ended up misscarrying 2 weeks later myself.After 2 months break we did frozen  embryo transfer ,once again 3 were put backresulting in a B.F.N......once again i come crashing down...since the misscarriage 2 of my friends and my sister have announced their pregnant ,I cant help but feel frantic when i hear their good news....am I a bad person for feeling jealous and envious???.
          We are now into December and I am in the process of down regulating ,waiting patiently for my period to arrive,(the only time you want the bloody thing to arrive on time).Finally the question I was meant to be asking...YOU know how you get carried away.....our clinic does Blast transfers and obviously going on how many eggs they get this time,and how many make it to day 3 etc......I was thinking of doing a Blast transfer this time.My doc thinks I should stick with a day 3 as it worked the  first time but i just want to give this the best chance there is as we wont be able to do it for a while if this doesnt work!!!.Anyone got any advice on what they would do or have done in the past??.Any replies will be really appreciated,good luck to eveyone out there trying!!! and sorry for being so long winded but its my first time venting on line ,usually I just read. :) :) :) :) :) :) ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^The End^

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hi Maeve, poor you.  I've just had my first icsi and had 2 day 3 embryos put back.  my clinic normally wait for blast stage, but i had 8 eggs, 5 of which were mature.  They all fertilised, but 1 crashed early on and the other 4 divided nicely  for the first day or so.  After day 3 i had 2 sluggish ones - just a 2 cell and a 3 cell, but the other two were 8 cell and starting to 'compact' which is aparently what they do when they are on their way to blast stage.  because at that point it was pretty obvious that those two were the ones that would be put back, they did so on day 3.  but if they had more to 'gamble' with they would have waited a little longer.  So don't make any decisions too early - see how many embryo's you get.  but remember that you are paying the money for this so make your doctor listen to you!  good luck.!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi Maeve,

I had two 5 day blasts put back in my IVF cycle in November. At that point I was told that the chance of success at my age (I'm 41) went up from about 20% to 50%, because if the embies get to blast they are more likely to implant. It did not work for me - I got a BFN.

Doing a 5 day transfer is more risky overall as you might not end up with any to put back.

Joy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Maeve

I don't think your a bad person at all for feeling as you do around pregnant people - I certainly have felt like that and I'm sure were not the only ones

To answer your question, I had 22 eggs retreived and 20 fertilized with 12 going to blast so was extremely lucky - 2 got put back (at 5 days old) and one implanted, but another girl on the same thread had two 3 day embies put back and both implanted so she is now expecting twins.  My clinic say that blasts have a better chance of implanting as it naturally takes 5 days for a fertlized egg to travel down the fallopian tube into the womb.

Listen to your embryologist  - they are the experts and should be able to advise you on the best thing for you - I have a book and an embryologist is quoted in there saying that sometimes they put very poor quality embies back for lack of anything else and it still result in pregnancy and a healthy child 9 months later......

Not sure if this has been any help , and wish you all the luck for the new year and fingers crossed its your turn

love
Churchill
x

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi
Newbie to this site, just a quick question has anyone had a blastocyst transfer, wev'e been offered this with our next cycle of IVF as we have had 5 failed cycles, BFN 8/2/05

jue jue 2 :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Jue Jue 2
I have not actually had this but, my Dr did discuss using this as an option, all I really know about it, is that everything is exactly the same as the usual IVF procedures but instead of doing ET on the 2nd or 3rd day they allow the embies to grow to 5 days so that they can have the best idea of how good the quality is, apparently it improves your chances so anything that may give you an extra helping hand is worth a go at  ;) also they usually don't put as many back reducing the chances of multiples
good luck I hope you get your  ^reiki^ this time it sounds as though you have had a really rough time, like soooooo many others here.
Dydie xx

·
Registered
69 Posts
At my clinic they only do this if several eggs fertilize and they actually have a choice. If they only have about 2-3 embies it's too risky to wait until day 5 and possibly have none left that are still alive.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Sorry fo all the questions !!  ;)

I have to explain this to IP's and want to make sure I am straight on everything myself !!!

How much higher are the chances of getting a pregnancy from blastocyst ??

Are they a lot higher or just about the same ??

Is it painful or the same as an ET !??

Thank you again !!!  It is good having people around to answer these
questions !!!!

Good Luck with the adoption Pam - I hope things go quick for you !!!
^reiki^

·
Registered
41 Posts
JuJu and Mrs G.  I had a day 5 blastocyst transfer and just got a BFP.  Here's my story / what I know
I produced 30 eggs, 27 were collected (the other 3 were too close to a large cyst I have).  Out of 27, 17 fertilised. 10 were grade 1, 7 were grade 2.  When I went for e/t on day 2 but I had symptoms of OHSS ie very bloated.  As I produced 30 eggs I was told I was at risk of this anyway.  Therefore at day 2, we were given the choice of freezing the embryos or waiting until day 5 ( but risking losing some of them).  Because I had 17 of good quality, DH and I decided to risk going to day 5.  The hospital gave us daily updates on the condition of our embies.  By day 5, I had 8 grade 1 and 5 grade 2.  I had to monitor fluid input and output between day 2 and 5.  This was looking OK.  I had a blood test on the morning of day 5 to check hormone levels.  These were OK.  I therefore had 2 grade 1 blastocysts transfered at day 5 and one of these had even started to hatch!  (this happens just before implantation)
Therefore what I know is:-
1. If embies are of good grade and you have a lot of them, it could be worth letting them develop into blastocysts.  I was told my chances of BFP would be higher than average with healthy blastocysts.  Letting them develop this far differenciates the better ones from the poorer ones
2. However, if they are of poorer quality and you don't have many, they may not survive being in culture so long.
3. In natural conception, the embies don't reach the uterus until they have developed into blastocysts.  2 days after conception they are still travelling down the f. tubes.  Therefore, putting blastocysts into the uterus, is more natural that putting 2/4/8 cell embies there
4. I think (but am not sure on this) that there is less chance of an ectopic pregnancy when blastocysts are transfered (as they will implant within 2 days instead of 5 so have less time to float back into the f. tubes)

I hope this has been helpful.  I tested 7 days after e/t (but technically at day 12 cos the embies were 5 days old at transfer).  I got a BFP.  I am now at day 16 and keeping my fingers crossed that this pregnancy goes OK. (I had a m/c 3 years ago after conceiving naturally).  The hospital has frozen the remaining 6 grade one blastocysts.

Good luck to all.  Keep me updated  XXX

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Oneunited - Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions and a very big CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy !!! I hope you have a wonderful 9 months !! When do you find out if it is 1 or 2 babies !!! lol

I have spoken to IM regarding Blastocyst and she is going to talk to the clinic about cost and chances of it happening for us.  ^reiki^

We dont know how it will work as it is a surrogacy arrangement and as I have not produced the eggs I don't know whether we will be able to go through with it or if I will have to be on medication at all ??

When IM had the EC she had 9 eggs collected and all 9 fertilised - 6 grade 1's, 2 Grade 2's and 1 grade 1/2 (couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be a 1 or a 2 !!). We had a transfer of 2 grade 1's which we had a BFN  :'( and during the thawing process we lost 1 grade 1.

So we have 6 embryos left - 3 grade 1's, 2 Grade 2's and an inbetweenie !!!

I think we will have to wait and see what the clinic say !!!  ^phone^ 

Will keep you all updated.

Hope all this helps you too JuJu and  ^goodluck^ to you as well Hun !!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hiya,

Just thought I would try and help also.

This was our 3rd IVF attempt and we (at the suggestion of our doc) decided to go for blasts.  There was the danger that we would end up with nothing at all, but we had to try it for our own peace of mind.  

I only have one ovary, and each time we DR and Stim, we only produced a low number of eggs, ie 2 eggs the first time, 3 eggs second time, fortunately, we pretty much have a 100% fertilisation rate.

This time I produced is 4 eggs.  Letting them go to blast is dicey, but in my mind, I had to know if they were getting to that stage, as the 2 or 3 day old embryo could have been just fading away inside me anyway.

If I had to go through another iVF cycle, I personally would opt for blasts again.

I think the odds for pregnancy by blasts is higher, ET is exactly the same as normal 2 or 3 day embryo's.  The cost was only 50 Quid more for the blast culture.

Good luck to you all girls,
Cheers
Taff
x

1 - 20 of 38 Posts