Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any info on blastocyst or has anyone had transfer at this stage and if so what were the reasons for it? ???, I'm very curious as to why it does not seem widely used!
thanks
Freddy

·
Registered
265 Posts
hi freddy,

the clinic i'm at are really really into blastocyst and have very high success rates with it.  basically it means they leave the embryos out for 5 days instead of 2 or 3 and that way only the very best are put back in.  they will only do this though if you've got at least 5 or 6 very good embies on day 2 and 3 otherwise you run the risk of losing the whole lot and having nothing to put back in.  basically if you get to blastocyst stage at my clinic you then have about 60% chance of success which is brilliant.  unfortunately i have never made it to that stage but know quite a lot of people do.

good luck and hope i've helped.
ruby x

·
Registered
896 Posts
Freddy - getting an embie to blast takes much more skill and expertise than a two/three day transfer. My understanding is that the solution the embie is kept in has to be changed - or is in some way very different from that needed for the first few days. I have been told by two different clinics that the skills needed by an embryologist are much higher/more complex to get to blast rather than two/three days, and unless an embryologist is very skilled they won't attempt it.

Also as the embie is kept for longer the number of cells increase, making it a more fragile and vulnerable organism - that is why most/all clinics won't freeze blasts, too many cells, too much risk of damage in the freeze and thaw, even tho success rates with live transfers are better with blasts.

Go with what you clinic are good at/have experience in.

I had two five day blasts transferred on my first IVF - it did not work for me. Second IVF with three day transfer led to the twins I am carrying now.

Good luck

Joy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Girls for the info
I was wondering, its only because I have blocked tubes and as I understand the embies have a good chance of going back up the tubes because thats where they would normally be at that stage (day 2/3) and I thought that it seems silly to put them back at that stage if you could lesson the chances of ectopic with blastocyst but I see why they don't always do it now. Thanks for your input.
Freddy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.