Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

bleed on 7th day of et

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  josieanner 
#1 ·
hi could anyone help .ive just had my 1st et and started bleeding on day 7 when i was told to cut down pesseries to 1 a day of 200 strength .i was on 300 boost inject .
my 1st ivf was unable to transfer embies due to developed mucus.
embies were frozen but didnt survive defrost
this time managed et but bleed .i feel so low because i felt like it was working .did anyone else have to cut down dosage?should i have stayed on 2 i,ll never now ?
they said they carn,t fit us in until april for a review and we have payed for our treatment .......

#2 ·
Josie so sorry to hear this has happened to you. A similar thing happened to me in October, I started bleeding on day 7 post ET, but I had not reduced my cyclogest. I now have a provisional date for EC on 23rd Feb but I did see the consultant about a month after the last IVF failed. I'm surprised there wasn't a follow up consultation after your tx but I suppose different hospitals do different things. It's recommended that you have at least 2 periods (I think) before embarking on a fresh IVF cycle. Personally I would ask again for an appt to discuss what happened with your last tx and also to give them information about how they should proceed in the next go,especially seeing as you are a private patient, our follow up appt was included in our fees. It looks like I will need more stimming and more progesterone in the 2ww, my consultant said this was unusual which made me feel pretty crappy.

Anyway, sending you a hug ^hugme^ and hoping that your next cycle will end in a BFP

Leni x

#3 ·
hi leni thanks for your reply .i do believe if my pessaries where left at 2 a day it might of worked ?i,ll never know .i do feel angry that i have to wait until april before we get an appointment .
i don,t know how we are going to fund the next cycle but i have not given up hope yet....

#4 ·
Hi Josie,

So sorry to hear about the cycle failure and all the awful things that happened to you before then.

The (progesterone) pessaries are not given by all clinics and there appears to be some argument over how much progesterone (if any) is needed after an IVF cycle.

The theory from one quarter is that IVF can deplete progesterone and some clinics give it to stop us from bleeding so soon. The practice of providing progesterone pessaries or injections varies a great deal from clinic to clinic.

The Hammersmith told that they do not give progesterone if some has started bleeding - even if they have had a pregnancy test. They did not want to prescribe progesterone at all during my FET cycle. However, they did give it during my 2 IVF cycles but only one each day.

There is another theory, that the reason some of us start bleeding so soon after ET (I have never made it through the 2ww), is that we are low in Progesterone.

Some clinics would argue that the implantation/pregnancy had failed anyway and that is why we start bleeding.

I have had my natural progesterone levels tested now but don't have the results as yet. Before I started fertility treatment it was borderline low and I wonder if it is abnormally low now. Would like to try extra progesterone anyway on my next cycle due to the repeat failures.

It certainly sounds after this failed attempts and the earlier problems that you could maybe do with a second opinion?

Hope that some of this ramble helps.

With warmest regards,

#5 ·
Hi josie

On my first two IVF's I bled at day 9 and 10 respectively.

My doctors response was to increase the cyclogest - 3 a day max dose - not pleasant makes me very sick.  I also get 3 additional HCG injections after transfer which seems to stop the bleeding coming early.  However, it means that you cannot test as early.  As Flopsy has mentioned, not all doctors would agree that there is merit in this approach but it worked for me. 

It might be worth putting this idea to your current doctor before moving on, mind you April seems a very long wait....

Good Luck

Peestick

#6 ·
Hi Josie,
The reason they give progesterone is that after the 'stims', our body wants to naturally have a period. The cyclogest is a low dose really and our body will eventually over-ride it if no implantation occurs and produce a period.
I do not think you can blame the low progesterone, implantation would have stopped it if it were to be.
However it may be worth asking for 2/day next time, traumatic when the bleed starts isn,t it!
I got a bfn end of Nov, ICSI and bled night before test, think my body is slow to respond!
Better luck next time!
Susy.

#7 ·
Hi all can I join the link?
I've had a similar experience to some of you. On the first icsi I had a BFP but lost it 3 days later. I've just tested for our 2nd go BFN :-[ started bleeding 2 days before testing.I was interested to read about the use of progesterone and will be asking questions at my follow up appt this week as I wasn't prescribed anything in either of the txs duing the 2ww. So josieanner thank you for starting the topic even though I'm sure you're feeling low; it really helps to gather more information so that we can ask the right questions.  ^Cuddle^ warmest wishes to all on this thread IVF's a long tedious road which I'm just beginning to realise!

LOL jingle

#8 ·
Hi there ladies,

Having read my previous post again, I left a piece of info out which might have a bearing on peoples thoughts.

I have never actually made it to test day (my clinic tests at day 16 following transfer) without bleeding even on 3 injections of hcg and 3 horrid cyclogest pessaries a day.  The only time I made to test day without a bleed (which is usually the day before I test if I have had the extra hcg) was when I was pregnant so what Susy says is bang on about implantation being the key. 

All my doctor does with the hcg is try to postpone the bleed for a while.  He seems to be able to do this better with the hcg and the cyclogest rather than the cyclogest on its own which doesnt seem to work with me. 

I hope this makes sense.  Its very late and I have had a very bad IVF day.  The nurse at the clinic phoned up 'just to check that I had had a negative for her stats' - given that my review appointment is already booked for the 4 of Jan, it was a bit insensitive.

Good luck to us all on this journey.

Peestick

#9 ·
I just had a similar experience on my IVF cycle. I started bleeding at 8dp2dt and was not expecting that to happen at all. We just had our follow up at the clinic and for my next cycle, my dr is going to give me progesterone injections. I'm nervous about it, but will do anything to make this work. I'll be cycling in early april.

Good luck to everyone,
jen x

#10 ·
Thanx for starting this thread. I've really learned something from it :)

I bled early on my first IVF cycle. AF came unexpectedly on day 11 of the horrid 2ww. Up to then I had all the signs that the tx had worked, but whoosh it all came to an abrupt halt. (On a natural cycle I never get early AF, it's usually every 28 days.)

My clinic uses crinone gel post e/c. I did ask about getting IM progesterone for my second cycle (I'm guessing that's the same as gestone injections :-\), but I was told by my clinic that there's no evidence to suggest that it's anymore beneficial than the crinone, and that IM progesterone is painful, which isn't ideal during the 2ww.
So for my next cycle, which starts next week (DR) I opted (on their advice) to stick with the crinone.

I've been really worried of bleeding early again in my next cycle. In fact that's the main reason why I haven't been feeling at all positive about it.
I've been almost expecting this one to fail and the same thing to happen again. 

But peestick's post has helped me feel better about the whole thing. Perhaps we bleed early simply because implantation failed, and as Susy says, the "body can over ride" the artificial progesterone, if they haven't made it, hence the early bleed. I guess it's just natures way of "getting rid" of non viable embryo's, and just because you bled early before doesn't mean it's necesarily going to happen again. Peestick's proof of that!

Thankyou. I feel I have learnt more from this thread than from the experts. ^afro^

luv Nat xx ^wave^

#11 ·
hi everybody ,
            finally had my follow up appointment .they said that next time they will increese pessaries to 2 a day ,but did state that it might just prospone the bleed ,but ha anythings worth a try.hopefully will try again later this year ......

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.