Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Jeanette hope you are well!

William is a month now and we've only just mastered breast feeding having been separated at birth for a couple of days and then being given nipple shields 'cos I had flat nipples (I don't at all but hey I didn't know what was going to start with!)

I've since spent the last month expressing, cup feeding, weaning the shields by cutting the tips away little by little - all with no success,  the last resort was to withhold the breast for 24 hrs and express / cup feed only to relearn how to BF the next day and we've now, a whole month on,  cracked it!!

However I've developed in the last 24 hrs really lumpy, tender breasts - I have self diagnosed blocked ducts as I am not pyrexial or have any flu-like symptoms. My plan of attack is to nurse as often as W will allow and express to empty each breast after each feed, plus a warm face cloth etc etc 

BUT what I don't understand is this .... I'm obviously making masses of milk which is the result of expressing so much when using the shields 'cos I didn't want the supply to dry up. I think I'm making more than W needs (I am currently sat here literally drenched post feeding!!)

So .... if I express won't my body think W needs even more and therefore keep producing it? Then W won't empty the breasts, the ducts will block, I'll express, produce even more and then the cycle will go round and round and round....

Most posts talk about increasing supply but I suppose what I want to know is how to decrease it!!

Did any of that hurried ramble make sense?!  ;D

In advance ... thank you.

B xx :-*

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya B

Start freezing some of your excess milk!! You will be able to use it when you come to weaning later  :)

Yes, you are right..the more you express & feed...the more you will produce  :)

Ideally, you should either be breast feeding or expressing when William wants feeding. You don't need to do anymore.

A warm flannel will help increase your supply so try a cold flannel instead. Also, take paracetamol when your boobs become really sore.

Cut back slowly on your expressing and only express if he is due a feed and you are not going to bf him (does that make sense?).

If you express more than what he needs then freeze it (I have put info in breast feeding section on storage of ebm).

It may take up to a week for your boobs to readjust...but they will.

Cabbage leaves can also help.

Its important that you look out for signs of mastitis as mums who are prone to ''full lumpy'' breasts are more prone to it. If you find yourself uncomfortable just express enough to relieve those feelings.

Let me know if you need anymore help. Stay in touch

Jxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeanette

Thank you so much for your reply.

Can I just clarify something? You said that I should only express if a feed is due and I'm not going to BF him ...

At the moment I am literally only expressing after he has fed and fallen asleep, the reason I'm expressing is because he obviously hasn't emptied the breast(s) 'cos it's still dripping out. Presumably it's because of this lack of emptying that I'm getting blocked ducts. But how much do I express? I need to empty the breasts to clear the ducts so do I just express until they 'run dry' or just give it 5 mins or so on each side just to get some of it out? I'm finding it really difficult to know how to get the balance between clearing the ducts and NOT encouraging milk production. Plus after all the problems we had getting going it really would be the straw that broke the camel's back if I went and got mastitis... :-\

I have been freezing excess amounts - DH said today that he thinks there's about 10 liters in the freezer at the moment!!!! ;D

Thanks again - hope you're having a good w/e!

B xx :-*

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi B

By expressing after a feed your boobs still think that William is feeding so your body will continue to produce the milk. So you need to slowly cut back on the amount of time you are expressing after a fed...just express till you feel comfortable (when William is older you should find that you don't need to express at all after a feed...until you are building up a supply for weaning later). The dripping in between will slowly stop..it doesn't mean that your milk is reducing if it does so don't panic.

As he gets bigger esp during a growth spurt he will fed for more so hopefully the need to express will reduce.

Hope this helps. If you do have excess amounts its worth contacting your local maternity unit to see if they would like your milk.

We had to buy an additional chest freezer!!

Jxxx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Jeanette thank you, I'm so grateful, it's hard to know what's going on in these early days isn't  it?!

The "chest freezer"  ... was that a joke?!  ;D ;D

B xxx :-*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts