Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey y'all,  :) i phoned my GP today , told her i had taken her advice with the losing weight and all,
and told her that id lost just over two stone and i was on day  11 of my period and if it was possible to do a blood test to see what my hormones were doing now that id lost some weight if it was a possibility that i had ovulated on my own. She said she would make an appointment for me to have a blood test on day 23 (because day 21 lands in the weekend and the surgery would be closed). I was happy and all, but now I'm thinking would it not have been better if i was to have the blood taken later on maybe day 28, so if i did ovulate later, i would have a better idea on day 28 blood results.
Should I change my blood test to a day 28 what are you all thinking?  ^idiot^ im all confused!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
hello,

Dont have much info for you hun but i have been told that bloods to check ovulation must be done on day 21,just wanted to wish you luck and congratulations on losing the weight.  ^hugme^

Lisa jane x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
lisa jane said:
hello,

Dont have much info for you hun but i have been told that bloods to check ovulation must be done on day 21,just wanted to wish you luck and congratulations on losing the weight. ^hugme^

Lisa jane x
Hi samina & lisa jane

Firstly, samina....well done on the weight loss ! :) Is there a reason why you think you ovulate later in your cycle ?

Having progesterone blood test on cd21 assumes ovulation on cd14. Progesterone peaks at 7dpo which is ideally when it should be tested......so if you ovulate earlier or later than cd14 then should try to get tested accordingly eg if you ovulate on cd12 then get tested cd19....if ovulate on cd19 then get tested on cd26 etc etc

It's also a complete myth that luteal phase (from ovulation to AF) is always 14 days....it can be anywhere between 10 - 17/18 days and still be classed as normal.

lisa jane....if you ovulate on cd14 then having your progesterone tested on cd21 is fine....but if you were to ovulate earlier/later in cycle then having tested on cd21 may give an inaccurate result and possibly show no ovulation when you actually have, just not on the "average" day of cd14 !

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there thanks guys the reason why i am kind of confused is that my periods are irregular, so if i do ovulate later in my cycles (or at all) this month i presume would show up in a day 28 test, as Ive been told before that i should do a pregnancy test on day 35 and if it is negative then i should understand that I'm not pregnant. my periods are far apart up to 2-3 months I'm guessing that people who ovulate on day 14 or earlier have periods which are approx 28 days long. Its all so :) confusing! Natasha you seem SO clued up on this ! so do you think i should change it  to a day 28 test? if i was to ovulate on day 14 by some small miracle would it show up in my day 28 test??

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
samina im sure if you ring the clinic they will let you know weather or not to come in for a later test, as Minxy has already said day 21 bloods are going by the assumption you OV on CD14 so if you raise the issue + your concerns over accurate bloods they should advise you from there  ;)

goodluck hun  ^reiki^

xxx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks cleg you are a star i will phone my gp on monday ^hugme^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts