Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Could someone advise me please.  I have started metformin and am now taking 1000mg per day.  I had my first AF over a weeks ago-first one since Jan and phoned the doctor for a blood test to see if I had ovulated.  She got her secretary to return my call over a week later saying I should buy myself an OPK-even though these I have read are not that accurate with pcos-I do have them though it didn't show a surge for me.  I had blood tests done nov 04.  I have been told by my consul to take clomid when I gat another period (when that will be I do not know, considering I have had two since Mar 04).  They will scan me on my first cycle and that is it, the rest I have to get on with myself.  I read lots of posts about women going for lots of scans and bloodtests yet I am not being offered this service.  Is my GP being particular dismissive-get the feeling I am a trouble maker!
Thanks strawbs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ^idiot^ ^idiot^ ^idiot^

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Strawbs,

You're not being a trouble maker at all! I know exactly how you feel. I was on the pill until 18 months ago and since have had no periods at all. My GP told me to wait a year then come back to her which I did. She then tried to fob me off telling me to wait another year, but thanks to advice from the girls on ff I went back to her and insisted that she refer me. A few weeks later I had my first appointment with the gynae and since then as I have no periods have been given duphaston to induce a bleed and then clomid (I'm on first cycle). So I would ask about them doing this as they can't expect you just to wait if you don't have regular periods! They make me so mad... ^bigbad^

Kelly x 

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi there

Although my situation is a little different I too am taking Clomid (I ovulate naturally but am taking it to "boost" things - more eggs, more chance :))
I had several prog level bt's before I went on Clomid which were all fine & then I had one the 1st month on Clomid (last month) to see what my level went up to. This month I didn't have a prog level bt as consultant knows its all ok.
I also have monitoring scan beween CD10 - CD15 (had on CD12 1st cycle, CD10 this cycle)....
...however, I know that there are many women who don't have either scans or prog level tests - I think it really all depends on the consultant....and also, we're going private so we pay for all the scans, bt's appts etc so that could be another reason why some of us are having them done more regularly....I don't know what its like on the NHS regards these but perhaps its like everything with fertility & its a postcode lottery as to whether your consultant does them or not.
You certainly wouldn't be a troublemaker if you ask your consultant about being monitored...at least it would give you an indication of what is happening with your body :)

Anyway, wishing you lots of luck
Take care
Natasha

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
If you dont have reg periods it may be worth asking your doc for Noriethestone, you take this for 7 days, then after last tablet you should get a period within 7 days and then maybe you can take your clomid after this.

Like the others say all clinics are diff and you do need to be monitored on clomid to make sure you dont over produce with your follicles but if they monitor you onnthe first go they know whether to increase or decrease your doseage.

Good luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.