Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all!!!

I've been doing body combat and pump for almost 4 years and on a very regular basis (combat 3/week and pump 2/week). Is it ok to continue throughout my IVF treatment (i know its a silly question and the answer is probably pretty obvious). I asked the nurse at my clinic and she said that they tell their patients to carry on as normal until EC and from then on take it easy. But i have read alot of contradicting posts saying that you must stop all aerobic activities while on treatment, others say its ok while DR, but must stop during stimming.

I started DR on Sunday (13th) and will hopefull starting stimms on the 28th (providing there are no problems). I have continued to attend classes as normal and just wanted your advise on whether i should stop whilst stimming or continue as normal. Obviously i will stop all together from EC until after 2ww.

During my last cycle, i exercised throughout my treatment (DR and stimms) and had to abandon it due to poor response. I don't know if i should blame it on my exercise, but i think it was on the minimum dose of Puregon (150 iu). I have now been put on a new lot of drugs and they've doubled my dose to 300 iu. Although i'm quite young (28) my FSH is 8.1, which is pretty high for my age and i blame it on the low doses of stimms that they put me on which resulted to just a few folliies.

I am quite a fitness fanatic and not going to my classess will kill me! :'(  Especially now that i have put on a few pounds since my last treatment; for some reason it's so hard to shift the weight. I've been going to the gym as normal, eat normal but still have a big tummy, when mine is always quite flat. Anyone had the same problem? But obviously if exercising will jeopardize my treatment then i will stop and who cares of having a big tummy or getting fat if the end result is a baby?! ^pray^

Please, any advise.... ^hugme^

Babydust and sticky vibes to you all ^reiki^

Silverglitter79

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
There is a wide variation of thought on this. Some say if you are used to the excercise to continue as normal, others just say gentle excercise & some say none at all.

I think excercise is beneficial but personally I wouldn't do high impact aerobics on the 2ww, swimming or a more gentle gym routine would be ok. I think it's up to you to decide but I know if the cycle didn't work I'd blame myself for overdoing it etc  ^hugme^

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'd say do what you feel like once your on the medication!  I think from my experience it's unlikely you'll want to carry on with quite so much exercise, but would have thought your body would tell you if it doesn't like it.

I felt pretty terrible on the buserelin and struggled to do anything at all due to headaches which I could only keep away by drinking lots of water - I am quite sure that any vigourous exercise would have made it worse (walking up a hill did!) but then I'm nowhere near as healthy as you to start with, or at least wasn't then (underactive thyroid that had been misdiagnosed as ME)

Once I started stimming I felt really good for about 3 days, and had loads of energy.  Then I started to really feel my ovaries jangle and bouncing around wasn't all that comfy, esp bending and stretching.

I also had nurses telling me to 'carry on as normal' until EC.  I actually think they were a bit unhelpful as it was impossible for me to be 'normal', and I think if they had told me it was quite possible I'd feel awful and not want to do much I'd have been better prepared, but having said that, they probably didn't wnat to alarm me, and possibly there is a reverse placebo effect that if you expect to feel bad you feel worse than if you expect to feel good ...

Anyway, I hope I haven't alarmed you, as it really is a very short time you have to put up with it in the greater scheme of things (and I'm someone who doesn't respond well so my cycles too longer!) unless you are lucky enough to get pregnant of course, and then you've got 9 months of pregnancy to look forward to  ;D ^reiki^

Good luck!

Jx

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi Silverglitter.

I'm going through my 1st IVF tx just now.  I started down regging on 14 April and get my baseline scan on 29 April.  I go to 2 circuit and 1 spin classes a week, and for a while I was also running at weekends.  I've been a bit unsure about what to do about exercise, but I made a decision a few weeks ago.  I've already stopped running.  I'm still going to my classes whilst down regging but I'm going to stop them once I start injecting.  My womb lining has never been particularly good so I don't want to risk diverting blood to other parts of my body whilst I'm exercising.  Although I'm going to cut back on the aerobic exercise I'm planning on going on lots of very long walks cos I've got to do something with all the energy I'd usually use!!!  I too have put on weight since starting fertility tx and can't seem to shift it.  But I've decided that I can't worry about that just now, I need to concentrate on the IVF.  If this cycle of IVF fails then I'm going to throw myself back into my exercising and get myself back into condition!!

I think it's a difficult decision to make, as I understand how hard it is not to exercise when you're used to doing so much.  I go a bit loopy and depressed if I don't regularly exercise, so combining that with fertility drugs means I'm gonna be a joy to be around over the next wee while!! 

I just thought I'd tell you what I've decided as you seem to be similar to me. My decision is not based on any medical facts and because it's right for me doesn't mean it's right for you.  You need to do what you feel is best.  I hope you manage to find a solution that's right for you.

Good luck in your tx  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

Txx

G

·
Hi Silverglitter,

I like you am a complete fitness fanatic, but I for my cycles have not continued with exercise once started on stimms as apparently exercise can divert blood away from your non extreme organs ie ovaries and the womb when they most need it for follie growth and womb lining to build.  Of course it is complete personal choice!  But I don't feel as though I can train as hard and can sometimes also cause headaches, so for me personally I just stop completely, even though it drives me round the bend hopefully it will all be worth it!  ^pray^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Good luck with your cycle!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^
^fairydust^

Love Little Bee x

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi girls!

Thanks for all your replies... very much appreciated  ^hugme^  :-*  ^hugme^

Your advices are all very similar...it looks like i will probably be stopping all together whilst stimming...or wean down at least...gosh, this is such a hard decision for me to make as i love attending these classes  :'(, but i'll have to sacrifice somehow in order to get what i want and thats a baby of course. I suppose it's a sacrifice worth going through should this be a success ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

Tiggy, i started DR a day before you and my baseline is a day before you aswell! Should everything go to plan we will probably be in the 2ww at the same time.

Little Bee, Pol & Prof Waffle, thanks for your advice. I shall bear your comments in mind. I still have 2 weeks to go till stimms (if lucky), so will enjoy every minute i can while i'm DR. I am actually off to a class right now!!! Doing this Kangoo Jumps class, whatever that is?!

Again, thank you again!!!!

Sticky vibes and Baby dust to you all!!!!

Silverglitter x

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Silverglitter thanks for asking this as I was wondering the same. Like you i love pump and combat. I'm starting my second cycle in May and think I'll reluctantly give up the classes for stimms. I exercised right up to Ec last time. Maybe a bit of swimming would be ok during stimms- what do people think?

BTW do you love 'you can't stop the beat' track on the new combat? I had to download it onto my ipod!

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I gave up all excersie as there is a school of thought that it deflects the blood from the uterus, and my lining is as dodgy as can be so didn't want to take any chances
Good luck whatever you decide to do
L x

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all!!

I didn't think i would find somebody on here addicted to combat and pump and who is going through treatment like me. I'm absolutely addicted to the classes which is why i had to ask the question above as i am very reluctant to stop all together. Although most of you ladies have said that i should stop, i still haven't come to a final decision, but will most likely cut down as opposed to stopping all together as i may get withdrawal symptoms!!! ^idiot^ I will ask the nurses/doctors again when i go in for my baseline scan on the 28th. At the moment i am still DR, so am still going to the gym as normal.

I have never had issues with the lining of my uterus, but was concerned with the development of follies while stimming and maybe the reason why i responded poorly last time was because i carried on exercising, but then again i was on the minimum dose of FSH (150 iu); i will now be on a combi drug which contains FSH/LH and double the dose of last time. I do understand that there are issues with high impact exercise and this, but still don't know.

I probably will end up not going as the tummy starts to become distended and bloated when stimming and i'll probably be quite moody because of this...we shall see.

Malteserslice, hi there! Yeah i do love that track and can easily do the whole routine should the track start playing now!!! ;D Thats how big a fan i am of combat. I know every step to every track. I still prefer the last release though, but i always say that when a new release come out (only because i don't know the steps, hehehe). About swimming, i'm not a water person, i absolutely hate swimming (because i can't swim...hehehe). So i don't know what i will be doing should i stop going gym during stimms; thats if i do stop ^idiot^. But will definitely stop after EC and during 2ww.

Thanks girls for your replies!!!  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ I will keep you updated on whether i have stopped during stimms or carry on till EC. If everything goes to plan ^pray^, i should start stimms on the 28th.

All the best for your treatments!!!   ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Silverglitter

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi All,

This subject comes up a lot on many boards. I found this link on another ivf board which suggests that regular exercise prior to ivf lowers the success rate - here is link for info.

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr09-29-06-2.cfm

Daisy
x

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.UK or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
490 Posts
Silverglitter - looks like we're gonna be cycle buddies!  Good luck with your tx  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

Daisy - I've just read that report - I thought exercise was good for me, looks like it's not good to be fit going into IVF  :(

Txx

G

·
Silverglitter, can understand that, we need to keep as sane as possible while on tx!  I also meant to say I would think Body Pump might be ok to continue as it's not so much cardio?  ???

Good luck!! x

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi Silver

I think I am going to give you some different advice...I was exactly the same age as you with the same FSH when I went through treatment.  Like you my first ICSI was a real struggle and I only got 4 eggs (they had to pretty much drag them out).  It was due to the fact that I was on the lowest dose of stims and absolutely nothing else!  The second time I produced 6 eggs and that batch has resulted in my wee boy and I am currently 35 weeks pregnant.  Still not a huge amount of eggs, but it really is quality and not quantity that counts.

Anyway, like you I love Body Pump and Combat/Attack.  I also really like running.  I ran through my 2ww and for the 1st tri - after that I just started getting a bit uncomfy.  I continued with Body Pump until 30 weeks pregnant when my back just couldn't cope with it anymore.  I also did a scaled down version of attack - reducing the high impact sections when I felt it was abit much.  My point is your body is used to this type of activity and therefore it is unlikely to have an adverse impact.  Now, if you had never done these things before then now is certainly not a good time to start, but that is not the case.  Moreover, as you are so used to it you are an excellent judge of when things just don't feel right and can stop accordingly.  I don't really rate the report on here as I have read things to the contrary.  If it makes you feel good then I would continue...the mental aspect of TX is an important as anything and if exercise lifts your mood and helps you cope then continue as normal.

Good luck!

Angela xx

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Angela,

I think you make really good points.  I also think it is a matter of judgement and on balance, it is probably much better to go into ivf being fit and healthy.  I do think the report makes some interesting points and is perhaps relevant to only a relatively small section of the ivf population.

However, in my experience, one of the main reasons for perhaps scaling down intense exercise can be psychological.  If you are someone who may second guess reasons for a bfn or miscarriage, then perhaps you would want to do no more than gentle walking during a cycle and 2ww just so you do not have another reason to second guess failure etc. 

Of course, this does not apply to everyone.  I just wanted to say this as someone who personally had these kind of feelings post cycle.

Best of luck to everyone,

Daisy
x

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Hi

personally I think it would have been helpful if the report had broken the results down further into male/female factor.

If, for example like me, you've already been diagnosed as someone with poor blood supply to the pelvic region (as evidenced by poor response, poor egg quality, poor womb lining etc) then logically it makes sense to avoid any exercise that might divert what little blood there is away from there, wouldn't you say?

If on the other hand, it's male factor and/or you're a regular exerciser anyway then I think it's worse to stop doing something that you enjoy... 

I think the feel-good factor gets ignored during tx.  Like the woman said, if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad!  Personally, Im a lazy cow who eats pretty much what she likes and doesn't really put on weight so to be told I shouldn't do any exercise is no skin off my nose.  But I can imagine that for someone who loves sports, it would be really stressful to be forced to sit around and not work off that excess energy.  And more stress is the last thing you want when you're on this rollercoaster! 

So I guess the best thing to do if you're in that situation is to try and find a form of exercise that is less strenuous, so maybe stick to swimming during stims and gentle walks during the 2ww and the first trimester (as I believe you should avoid swimming during that time - please correct me if I'm wrong ladies!)

Just my humble opinion.... :)

xxx

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Ladies, Thanks again for your responses.

Angel, you've cheered me up ^hugme^...i thought i had to stop doing my beloved classes all together, but now at least i know that there is someone out there with the same outlook as me with regards to exercise and that i can continue as planned. I agree with everything that you said that it is the mental aspect of the treatment that is important and what you are comfortable and happy with and not to focus too much on the reports. I am amazed though that you continued running during your 2ww and 1st trimester and also did pump. But i think on my 2ww (should i get there ^pray^), i will give the classes a miss, and see how things go after then. I have heard about alot of women doing pump during their pregnancy without it affecting the outcome of the pregnancy, so should i get pg  ^pray^ , it's likely that i may continue doing that aswell - did you decrease your weight load on the bar though?

Again, thank you ladies for dropping by to answer my question(s).  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Silverglitter x

·
Registered
302 Posts
It was easier for me to run through 2ww this time as I had had a FET (non medicated) so wasn't recovering from egg collection.  I didn't reduce my weights initially - I just listened to my body - if something hurt or I felt I was struggling, I stopped and adjusted my weights.  By the end though I wasn't using weights at all for the squats as it hurt my back (also lunges become a big "no-no" as you go through pregnancy as they really de-stabilise your pelvis).  I have had to call it a day now though and have switched to swimming  :(

Good luck hun.

Angela xx

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi girls! It's me again!!!

Just an update and a quick question from me.

I had a scan on Tuesday (day 9) and had around 18 follies, but were still too small so was told to continue stimming and go in for a scan again on Friday (day 12), which was yesterday. I have been told to stimm until tonight, DR meds until tomorrow and HCG shot tomorrow at 8:30 pm. My EC is scheduled for Tuesday 8:30 am. I am hoping and praying that i get at least 10 eggs ^pray^

One question, can i still go gym after my HCG shot? I have a body combat class on Monday and was just wondering whether any of you have still exercised after been given the HCG shot. My HCG shot is tomorrow (Sunday).

I have only been to the gym once (i think since stimming) and feel really fat. My waist line has gotten bigger, all my trousers are tight and i've already put on half a stone. It's so depressing. I know it will all be worth it if all things go to plan. I suppose it's just something we all have to do and is definitely a sacrifice worth taking.

Thanks in advance and all the best in your treatment.

Silverglitter79 x

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Hi

Try not to worry about your expanding waist line hun, that is caused by the bloating and follicles and will go back down following EC.

As for the class on Monday it's really a matter of personal choice, I should think if you've been going all through stimming it will be ok but I really wouldn't recommend classes following EC and through to test date.

^goodluck^

Axxxxx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.