Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello me lovlies

Ok so this might be a strange subject but I am hoping there may be some others out there that understand what Im going through.

After having all the tx I put a fair amount of weight on,through the medication and the comfort eating after failure many times. Then I was lucky enough to be pregnant with twins and even luckier to have our more recent natural miracle baby girl.

Long story short is my body has had some hammer now and just looking at my tummy makes me  :'(. I have got so much saggy excess skin its scary. I noticed how bad it was this morning when i was lying in bed.My belly button has never been right since my twin pregnancy and when im lying down all my excess skin on my tummy is so heavy it pushes down and creates a cavern.Hard to explain but its not pretty.

I know some people will tell me to stop being so selfish and moaning about myself when I have been lucky enough to have got 4 children but its getting me down so much-im ashamed of my body.

I already have an appointment with my gp for a urine infection but may bring the subject up. I am seriously considering asking what the chances of surgery would be to remove the excess skin on the NHS.

So I really just wanted to see if there was anyone else who maybe had or has the same problem and what you have done about it???

I am watching what I eat and excersizing but my worry is that the excess skin will just get worse with the more weight I lose.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly accepted

kelly

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
i wont tell you to stop moaning  ^hugme^

my pal had a singleton then twins 19 yrs ago and was hugggggeeeee in her twin pg - the excess skin she has is awful. she has been offered surgery on nhs but said no as she doesn't want an invasive procedure for something cosmetic. she has chosen instead to embrace her tummy and consider it the battle scars of all her years trying to get pg and succeeding with IVF.

my guess is though that the NHS will firstly offer you counselling re your feelings to your body, you'll probably have to assessed to see how it is affecting you mentally and if surgery is offered it will probably be with conditions of being within a 'normal' weight range for your height....

it is possible but from what i have heard with my friend and patients (i'm a nurse) you have to fight - oh and the postcode lottery is an issue too......

i have horrendous tummy scarring from my many surgeries and would say that if you can overcome how you feel with the help of counselling or similar to improve your self-confidence etc then that would be a better option than a big operation.

hth  ^hugme^ ritz.

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Oh hun i understand what you mean!!
I look at my tummy and cry coz it just sags!! I was big with my pg and i have to admitt i wasnt a small girl before, 14/16 dress size but now i have to wear size 18 to get my saggy skin in the trousers!!
With that and the stretch marks i have no confidence now  :-[

I think if you want to ask about surgery huni then go for it!!
You arent on your own in feeling the way you do!!
I dunno if i have hepled or done anything really but i didnt want to read and run  :-*

x x x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
^hugme^
Kelly, I understand exactly how you feel.  I hate my body now, and it has a major impact on how I feel at the moment.  No advice I'm afraid, although I think it's still early days for you.  I have noticed an improvement after a few weeks of using toning creams, although I know it's not going to work miracles ^eyes^

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Aww Kelly  ^hugme^

I'd say it's very early days.  Wait a while and let your body heal a bit more, my tummy is a lot less saggy after 4mths that it was after 2.  I'm all for plastic/corrective surgery, but I'd have a look at some pictures of tummy tucks - the scarring can be quite large, so there's the pros and cons to look at.  I know there's an FF'er who's had a tummy tuck, but I can't remember her name, maybe she'll come on here and say.

I've only had 2 pregnancies and my tummy is very wobbly - Imogen thinks it's the funniest thing and shakes it about.  She even called me 'Jelly-belly' the other day, where does a 2 year old learn that from?!  ;D  ;D  Right now, I'm so tired most of the time that if I can amuse her by shaking by belly whilst sitting down, it's got to be worth having it for a while just for that.  ^roflmao^  

Claire
x

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Kelly,
I am sure no-one thinks you are being selfish - I certainly don't, you are still Kelly as well as a Mummy!
My saggy 'twin skin' isn't very nice, but I was lucky enough not to get stretch marks. When my twins were about 9 months old, I started weightwatchers (lost 2.5 stone) and going to the gym and did notice a huge difference. I was considering surgery but now feel it might not be necessary. The skin is still saggy below my belly button (and more so, the more weight I lose) but my stomach now looks flat under clothes and I'm once again able to wear a bikini (but only on the beach, I don;t show my bits anywhere else!!)
I'd give it a year and a good diet/exercise regime and see where you end up. It's still early days after having two pregnancies so close together, with one of them being twins. I bet you'll be amazed at what you can do without resorting to the knife ;) And if you do have surgery, they probably won't let you do it for quite some time after giving birth.
Big hugs to you and congratulations on your lovely children
Jane
xxx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi Kelly

^hugme^ I know exactly how you feel. I'm another very very lucky lady to have had 3 pregnancies and have to say that my stomach after my 3rd pregnancy is just horrid and I hate myself, i've lost all confidence  :'( I just assumed it would be the same as after ds1 and ds2 but no!

Like you, I just can't imagine any kind of diet giving back any elasticity and toning it back up. I finally plucked up the courage to weigh myself the other day and was amazed to find I am back to my pre preg weight (albeit far too heavy  ::)) so it just made me realise the battering my tummy has had (I was honestly expecting to be at least 1.5 st heavier than I came in at due to the excess on my tummy) - a lot of it feels numb as well  ^idiot^

I keep telling myself it is still early days and given several months, a good diet and lots of exercise then maybe it might be a lot better than it is right now  ^pray^.

Hope your GP is really supportive in one way or another  ^hugme^

S xx

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi Kelly,

I'm very lucky to have had twins but my tummy is now a state (so's my bum, thighs, double chin  ;D  ) and is getting me down a bit too
Someone said to me that it takes 9 months for your body to grow a baby and this is a very gradual process. Then suddenly the babies pop out (if only it was that simple  ;D ) and your body has then got to back together again. Plus heal from the birth (whether it was natural or c section).

So this will be a gradual process as well and probably take longer then the 9 months. My weight is the same as before I got pregnant but my body is a completely different shape  ^idiot^

Surferchick xxx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I've been told that too - 9 months up...............9 months down, at least. Give yourself a bit of time but I would definitely mention it to your GP so it will at least go on record.

Chux xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts