Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Home Wormies  ;)

Does someone definately die  :'( in the new HP ??

I too shall have to read the last one  ::)

Kim xxx

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Yep, fraid somebody definitely get's it in this book  :'(

I just can't see it being Ron or Hermione, or at least I really hope she doesn't bump either of them off.

When they brought out the last book and said a big character was going to get it, Sirius Black didn't even enter my mind. How could he be a big character when he'd only been in the last 2 books as a head in the fire or a pen friend to Harry???

So when they say "big character" this time, I'm looking for a non obvious choice. Snape maybe?!?!?!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh I hope Snape doesn't die - I like him! I'm still putting my money on Ron!

To be honest I wouldn't mind if Hagrid got the chop - I've never warmed to him as a character and he annoyed me even more played by Robbie Coltrane.

___

I'm reading a pretty dull book at the moment - Ignorance by Milan Kundera. I feel like I *should* like it cos it's very well written, but it's just not gripping. Luckily it's short so I'll have it out of the way soon enough.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah but then there'd be no more Alan Rickman...and that would be a crying shame imho! LOL ^DizzyLove^

If you like HP then give His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman a go - it blows HP out of the water in my opinion...

It's a trilogy - Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. I cried at the end. :(

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
;)

Oh Snork you've made my day mentioning His Dark Materials!!
I bought this a few weeks ago & am so looking forward to reading this now, I love the HP books so if this is better than I'm in for a treat!!
I hope it's Draco who gets it in new HP book.. Smug little git he is  ^shake^

Roz xx

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hope it's Draco who gets it in new HP book.. Smug little git he is
LOL, he is isn't he?? ;D

Roz, the Phillip Pullman trilogy is AWESOME! The first book is the simplest, after that it gets quite deep and very bizarre! It makes the magic/fantasy stuff in HP seem like party tricks but it also has a more complex, serious 'message' too. It's one of the best things I've ever read. Haunted me for ages afterwards. I went to see the stage adaptation at the National Theatre last week - sooo disappointing...

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi all,

On HP Someone definitely dies and I'm sure its going to be someone we like after all wasn't JKR described as being in tears after she had written this bit? My votes still with Neville.

Snorkmaiden, Why do we feel the need to finish dull books? I do too, except if its really dull I end up starting something else and never finishing it! Result is I've got quite a few half read books.  ;D Think I'm going to have to get rid of them...

I've just finished the new Kazuo Ishiguro "Never Let Me Go", found it compelling with an interesting theme.

I also loved His Dark Materials, Roz you're in for a treat, I couldn't put them down! From the review will avoid the stage play. Also thinking about avoiding the film as the US studios are insisting on removing god from it. Not entirely sure how they intend to do this or what will be left.

Anyway happy reading everyone.

Edna

·
Registered
272 Posts
Edna - I've got a fair few unfinished books too! I have bookmarks in them 'just in case' I go back to them, but I probably never will, lol! I couldn't ever get rid of them though. My house is full of books, it's ridiculous!

So the Americans have already started on the film version of His Dark Materials have they? I thought it was only a matter of time... How can you cut God (the Regent?) out of the story? Surely that's the whole flippin' point of it all??? Well, I hope at least that they get the horror and emotion because that's somethign that was truely lacking in the stage version.

I finished the dull Milan Kundera book and it really didn't do a thing for me so I can't recommend it. I did however, read a good book after it, called Bare Bones, by Kathy Reichs. Anyone read anything by her? She's a forensic anthropologist so all her novels are grounded in her own knowledge and experience. I think she's wicked - she's so clever!

Am now embarking upon a children's book lent to me by my ten year old niece - 'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman. I'll let you know my verdict... :)

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Well I have got half way through Northern Lights.. Am really struggling to finish it, I'm finding it very drawn out & very boring to be honest.. I keep wanting to skip pages.. Very dissapointed with it..  :-[
Roz

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hello  ^wave^

Does anybody know the exact date the new HP book comes out please? (this has probably been discussed previously but i only read back on this part).

I think WH Smith and Amazon deliver on the day, but DH and I are fighting over who gets to read it first  ;)  I read quicker...thats my excuse, and DH usually listens to audio books on the way to work, lazzzzzzy he is!

I think Ron will meet his doom in the new one  :'(  or another thought i had was Dumbledore... eeek.

Since reading HP nothing seems to keep me engaged, i feel like i have been spoilt  :-\  Maybe i should give His Dark Materials a go.

Helen x

·
Registered
272 Posts
Roz, what a shame you're not enjoying Northern Lights. Which bit are you up to? I have to admit that the book did not appeal to me at all at first and I put off reading it for ages. In fact I started it a couple of times and gave up cos I couldn't get into the style of writing, it was so different to anything I'd previously read, BUT, when I did perserve with the story and I got to the end of Northern Lights I just could not wait to get hold of the second book to find out what happened next. Still, we can't all like the same can we, and fantasy fiction is such a 'niche' genre.

Helen - I don't know the exact date that HP comes out but I know it's in July. I can definitely recommend His Dark Materials, but it's a lot darker, heavier and complex than HP.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Helen - HP is out on 16th! See you all on 17th for first thoughts!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Thanks Annie  :)

I feel like a kid waiting for xmas  ;D

DH thinks Percy is for the chop, but is he really a main character? I'm not so sure. His other guess was Dobby the house elf.....what is he on??  ^confused^

Not sure i should be admitting this, but i started reading The magic faraway tree by Enid Blyton today. I loved it as a child, but fear i may be disappointed and the magic may have gone now hehe

Helen x

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I'm sure I put a post on here last week, but it seems to have disappeared (or knowing my work's PC, it'll have vanished in the midst of IT land!)

I read in one of the Scottish papers last week that Robbie Coltrane had hinted he may not be playing Hagrid for much longer.  Whether he was simply saying he had had enough of playing him and didn't want to do it anymore, or he was hinting at something he knew that we didn't.... ???

Can't wait for it either way - I made DH queue with me at midnight whilst on my honeymoon for the last one!  ;D

Claire
x

·
Registered
272 Posts
Helen - I used to love the Magic Faraway Tree. I don't think I could read it now because I wouldn't want to spoil the memory. I hope you have fun with Moonface and Sylvie and the Saucepan man though!!! :)

I've got a recommendation for everyone: How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff.
Link-->http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...19399/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-2742793-4228450

I started reading it in bed last night and I just finished it this afternoon, I loved reading it that much!

It won the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize and is up for Children's book of the year I think....

It's wonderful and very moving. One of those stories that lingers on in your memory for a long time... :)

**BIG THUMBS UP** ^afro^

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi folks.

Just been away on hols so time to read trashy thrillers. Just finished the latest in Sue Graftons ABC of crime R is for Ricochet. Great fun.

Snorkmaiden, I don't know what they are going to do with the Dark Matrials film. I'm concerned about what I've read so far but New Line (Lord Of The Rings lot) are making it. Think it may be one to rent on DVD.

I've also got bookshelves in every room of our house. Not keen on getting rid of books but as DH reminds me we are planning to move this year and so do we really want to move books which we don't want to read. Its a toughy.

Anyway must run.

Happy reading everyone.

Edna

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just giving this a bump up!

Edna - I just hope they don't ruin a damn fine trilogy by messing about with it.

Yay for trashy thrillers - where would we be without them eh?

I read something terrible last year - Want To Play? by PJ Tracy...oh god, it was dreadful.

I'm a big fan of Thomas Harris - the Silence of the Lambs/Red Dragon trilogy...fab!

At the moment I'm reading Vernon God Little - OMG! How angry is this chap?? A very unpleasant, but brilliantly written book.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
MR WEASLEY GETS THE CULL IN THE NEW BOOK....
Well he nearly did in the last and he said he'd die for the order...

HELP NEEDED...ANY OPINIONS ON...
Shoppaholic books, i read the first one when i was on the bike at the gym but am on holkipops next week is it worth buying the next 3 to read??
Answer needed asap, i go in 3 days.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Don't know about the shopaholic books from personal experience cos i have only read one of them (can't remember which one, but really funny). My friend has all of them and says that they are all good  ;D
Another of her books 'can you keep a secret?' is pretty good as well, i read that on hols a couple of years ago.

Have just read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, it was one of those can't put it down reads. Am waiting for her other book 'Lucky' to arrive now (bought it on eBay), i just hope it is as good.

Snorkmaiden, The magic faraway had lost a bit of it's magic but i still couldn't put it down. I think Enid Blyton managed brilliantly to tap into the magic you hold as a child  :) wouldn't it be lovely to be that carefree again...

1 - 20 of 336 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.