Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Aplogies if this has been asked before, but the search facility was not working. 4 weeks ago, I had bleeding after intercourse and went straight to GP. They diagnosed a cervical polyp which would account for my symptoms but did a smear anyway, (due in May). I had the polyp removed at the hospital last week and today I received a letter to tell me my smear result was abnormal with borderline result and that I have to go for a colposcopy.
I am absolutely terrified. Does anyone have experience of this?
Thankyou.
Prija

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
hi hun
I am sure someone will be along soon to reassure you.
My sil had the colposcopy and it is basically a closer look at your cervix.
Am sure all will be ok :-* I know it's easy to say don't worry, but do try not to hun ^hugme^
I've had a few "equivocal" results with my smear test, some years ago and had repeats and it is nerve wracking isn't it ^hugme^
Sorry am not more help, just wanted to send you some hugs.
Keep us posted
Lotsa love and hugs
Gayn
Xx

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou Gayn,
hope someone else may be along too!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Prija,
I had a colposcopy done a few years ago. It's just like having a smear test done and it really doesn't hurt. They look at your cervix through a microscope for abnormal cells. I panicked when they told me that I had abnormal cells and they needed to remove them. Not to scare you but I had a loop wire excision done on the day to remove the cells. It really doesn't hurt at all, I promise. I bled for a about a week after but other than that I was fine. So, even worse case scenario isn't that bad. I hope everything goes well.  ^hugme^
Sarahx

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Hello Prija

My sister and friend had this happen. Their experiences were both the same as Sarah has just said. Their smears had shown a slight abnormality and they had colposcopies done. My sister bled a little for about a week afterwards too.

Try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know. Do you know when you're appt will be?

Love

Emma x

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou for your replies. I feel so emotional about your reassurance! DH doesn't cope well when anything's wrong and becomes so cold when all I need is a big cuddle. I hate crying in front of my boys, but I keep bursting into tears as I keep thinking the worst.
Thanks again.
Love Prija

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
^hugme^ Prija

I guess it would be true to say that men aren't always great at this type of stuff ;D ;D - especially when its your 'bits and pieces' ;). Its my guess he's worried too and doesn't really know what to say and do. Well, thats what we're for ;D.

I too would be worried because I think smear tests and results make most of us feel quite anxious so its normal to be so. But this is exactly why you have them done - so any slight changes can be checked quickly.

Have you tried any hypnotherapy or relaxation tapes? I find them quite helpful

^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm another lady who's had borderline smears, colposcopy and samples of the cells taken.  It didn't hurt, the only bad part was seeing your cervix up on the screen about three feet wide!!  ;D

It can be a worrying time, but it's good that they are checking everything, and any treatment needed will most likely be non aggressive.

You will most likely be asked to have repeat smears on a more regular basis in the future, to keep an eye on things.

^hugme^

Jane
xx

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou so much everyone!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hi

I am another one that had abnormal cells and a colposcopy, like the others have said its just so they can take a closer look at things.  I then had to have the cells lasered away as they weren't too good, but even that was ok.

I have been having annual smears since then, for the last 7 years, and all have been ok since

i hope it all goes well

xx

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou Sarah!

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I too had an abnormal smear test result last year but I've been unable to have another smear since then as I got preggy.

Just remembered getting the letter saying that I had dyskaryosis. DH was away and I was home alone...... not nice!!

Just wanted to send you a hug!!  ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hiya Prija

When I was 19 I had an abnormal smear result - CIN2, meaning there were moderate cell changes.  I had quite extensive laser treatment carried out - I was petrified to be honest and had to return 3 months later to check all was OK, which it was.  I had 2 smears the following year then another a year later, where more abnormal cells were identified.  This was again treated with laser, but only had a tiny amount treated the 2nd time.

For the next 10 years I had a smear every year and now have them every 3 years and all has been OK since.

Good luck for your appointment - the colposcopy itself is no worse than a smear.

Take Care
Nikki
x

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Prija,

Hope you feel bit more reassured now!  Think we all know the fear you feel when you are first told you have an abnormal test result.

I hope you don't think I am crashing your thread but this happened to me too ladies, I had CIN 1, so only mild cell changes.  However, I had a cone biopsy to treat mine and I noticed others have mentioned lazer treatment.  My abnormal cells were located right at the neck of my cervix and they couldn't be seen very clearly.  I had IVF last year and my consultant thought it was unnecessary to have had a cone biopsy to treat the cells.  To cut a long story, I have since learned that if you have had a cone biopsy, it can make your cervix weaker and if you were to get pregnant, there is a higher chance of miscarriage in the 2nd trimester.  I have been told by my consultant that if I did get pregnant, I would need a stitch putting in to stop my cervix opening up before it should.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

By the way Prija, as the other ladies have said, the colposcopy is painless, just like having a smear and honest chick it's nothing to worry about.  I'm happy to report I had the all clear after but I was terrified at the time. I laugh about it now because I really thought my number was up!  ::) It is fairly common and everything will be just fine!

Birchie xx

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thankyou so much everyone, you are all so thoughtful!
After negotiations between my DH (a surgeon) and the gynaecologists, they have decided that my smear should not have been done at the time of a symptomatic polyp being on my cervix. I have to go for an out patient follow up in 3 months. I am still anxious, as having been told I need a colposcopy and now I don't, I still feel shaken. I will see my GP next week to see if he can organise a private appointment for me to discuss everything. The further problem is that I was planning to start IVF,mid July. I will ring the clinic for advice and wondered if I could go through egg collection and freeze any embryos. The Summer is my only chance to minimise disruption for my boys.
Birchie, I have heard and read about the cervical sutures. There is a special name for them which I cannot remember. I would suggest you start a new topic or maybe do a search and you should find some information.
Good luck everyone!
Love Prija

1 - 16 of 16 Posts